Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a jeep from U.K.

Options
  • 12-12-2007 6:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭

I've arranged to buy a Land Rover in Wales and want to look it over (and buy it all being right) at the weekend. I need to know what the scenario regards insurance for the return journey. I'm insured with Quinn Direct for last 3.5 years no claims, I'm 30 years old and hold a full, clean driving licence (B).
    Last year when I drove my missus' old car for a couple of months, I was told initially I couldn't drive it as it wasn't registered to me. I was also told (I think the policy document says it too) that it must be insured elsewhere for my policy to cover me. I rang back later and was told I could drive it as it WASN'T registered to me. I was told my third party extension covered me to drive it. I asked about it not being insured elsewhere, and they said it didn't matter. I took down the girls name and the time and date of the call and drove away for 2 months.
    Will my extension (if it's as they say) cover me to go to Wales and drive a car home via the ferry? Bear in mind that I live in Sligo, so I have to drive across the whole country. Should I notify Quinn? What if they say no? I'm screwed if that's the case.
    I'm currently insured on an Alfa 156 1.8 T.Spark.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You need to do a temporary substitution (your own car will not be covered) and then probably do a new policy if the jeep is an additional permanent vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

essentially, they don't want you driving 2 or 3 of your own cars with your own 3rd party extension and they don't want your spouse driving permanently for freee on an open drive policy. If the LR will be yours, as posted already, you will need a temporary or indeed permanent substitution.

I think that the extension doesn't cover your spouse's car either, btw.

Although you are required to get it cleared within one day of it arriving, if you don't, they will insure you on the UK reg for as long as you like without quibbling.

If this is a reasonably new vehiclecosting a good bit of doh-re-mi, have you considered getting an AA inspection?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Could this be of use: http://www.dayinsure.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Hi,

Be carefull here. As you currently have insurance on an Alfa 156 1.8 T.Spark, this is passenger vehicle?

Is the jeep a commercial...........cos if it is, you'll need commercial cover. To be honest, call your insurer and be traight up with them and ask them for a solution for your quandry. After all, they are the service provider...........and you pay them to provide a service. Dont be afraid of asking.

and if you dont get the answers you want, go elsewhere.
    or, tow the jeep home on a trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Towing a Land Rover with an Alfa seems so wrong:) No tow hitch on it anyway.
    I intend to ring up alright, but I just wanted an indication of what to expect. I'm hoping they see me a low risk and tell me my extension will cover me for bringing it home/going to pay VRT. Technically, it won't be registered to me until I pay the VRT and get the Cert.
    Some people have told me also that Quinn are not too bothered if you have a vehicle taxed as commercial and insured privately. I've seen it elsewhere on the web that they say it won't validate your policy. I'll wait until I'm insuring it to find that out. The more questions you want sorted at once from call centers, the less gets done:D
    Thanks ballooba. I'll check that out. If Quinn let me down, I'll try that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Hi,

Be carefull here. As you currently have insurance on an Alfa 156 1.8 T.Spark, this is passenger vehicle?

Is the jeep a commercial...........cos if it is, you'll need commercial cover. To be honest, call your insurer and be traight up with them and ask them for a solution for your quandry. After all, they are the service provider...........and you pay them to provide a service. Dont be afraid of asking.

and if you dont get the answers you want, go elsewhere.
    or, tow the jeep home on a trailer.

The car is still not insured if you tow it on a trailer i.e. if it falls off or someone runs into the back of it, the boat sinks! you're fecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

i'm afraid you're wrong there.
    I tow a lot in my line of business and with the right insurance,it would be covered. Beside's, towing it properly is a must with it well tied down at the axles etc.
    and also, towing it with the alfa in a no-no. I meant to get the lend of a proper 4x4 to tow it for example on a proper braked and well lit up car trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=176389&highlight=importing+uk

Btw, what type of land rover and how much is the VRT, i am thinking of doing the same in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

It's a SWB Defender 300tdi commercial. It'll work out at about €550 because it's too short to come under the full commercial rate of €50. Stupid rule. That's 13.3% of what they value it at. Could be worse, but it seems a very archaic ruling. Load bay must be 6.5feet or something.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

I too am with Quinn Direct, went last January to get a car(T4Avensis) in the UK. I just phoned up and told the girl on the phone what I wanted, she just transfered my insurance on my then current car (BMW318i)for 7 days to the UK reg. Easy peasy! The only hairy moment was courtsey of the police at Holyhead preboarding the ferry as all I could produce was the insurance details for the BMW, the copper went off to his little hut and came back 5 mins later to say drive on :) Got the 3rd degree prior to that from UK customs and police too, I hadn't expected to get the whole treatment so was nervous! Just a heads up in case you aren't expecting to have the Q&A from them. Everything was kosher but still nervous moments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement