Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheapest way of getting around

Options
  • 12-12-2007 6:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭

How's it going folks,

The public transport system where I live is atrocious so I need a decent way to get around.

I'm considering getting a motorbike but I just wondering,
    once tax,insurance,equipment etc is all through, which would be cheaper to have and maintain?

I'm an 18 year old male

A bike or a car? Hell even a scooter.

Thanks

Cian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Surely a scooter would be the cheapest

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Bicycle... next cheapest would be a scooter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

insurance on a scooter is cheap as is the running cost. Once you get onto 250cc+ bikes the cost is the same as a car as they need to be maintained more . Tax is €67 on bikes 125cc+. If you're doing anymore than 50kph or a few km per day get a car or big bike. Personally in this weather a car is the better choice but alot less fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kodute wrote: »
    Bicycle... next cheapest would be a scooter

That wasn't one of the options ;)

BTW walking is free, you can't beat that...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you're just getting around town then a scooter is ideal. A 125+ cc bike for longer distances. I had a verrrrrrry slow 125cc Virago for a few years. It did the job at a rather leisurely pace :) This weather we're having at the moment is just soul destroying on a bike though. Bikes do seem to require much more frequent maintenance than cars in my experience also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭eurotrotter

scooter!!!

i have one since im 21 and i still have it
    fanstastic mode of tranposrt
    dump it anywhere and into the shop/college/cork watever!
    no parking or traffic headaches!
    i have a car as well, had considered sellign the scooter when i first bought the carm but after a couple of hours of being stuck in traffic as well as the headache of parking the cost of running a car, throwing in 50 euro petrol a week as apposed to 5euro every two weeks!!!!! said enough to me to hold onto scooter!!!

SCOOTER MAN, THERE MORE FUN TO DRIVE AND WAY WAY CHEAPER TO RUN

SCOOOOOTER!!!!!
    How's it going folks,

The public transport system where I live is atrocious so I need a decent way to get around.

I'm considering getting a motorbike but I just wondering,
    once tax,insurance,equipment etc is all through, which would be cheaper to have and maintain?

I'm an 18 year old male

A bike or a car? Hell even a scooter.

Thanks

Cian

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Thanks folks, roughly how much would a scooter cost to buy(new/second hand)

Also, how much would I expect to pay in insurance as an 18 year old male

Advertisement