Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LPG emissions

Options
  • 12-12-2007 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of buying a 4 lit landrover in he UK, With LPG conversion.
    The question is does LPG make a difference to the tax bracket, would it be better to import now or wait until after July?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Regardless of anything else, LPG is next to impossible to get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

If the emissions were low it could be become more popular and more widely available. I was wondering about this too. I would imagine converted vehicles might be a pain to get certified. Are there factory fitted LPGs?

Edit: Looks like LPG falls between petrol and diesel in terms of CO2 emissions. http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/information/cars-and-fuel-options.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The CO2 emissions of a petrol car running on LPG are equivalent to running an equivalent diesel for the same make and model of car AFAIK. So not a drastic reduction and bear in mind that LPG is still a finite resource so that can only last so long, and it is far less economical than petrol too. In the UK I think the price is like half what the regular price for a litre of petrol so it is very attractive to run a car like a V8 Range Rover on an LPG conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭pmq71

alias no.9 wrote: »

I agree totally and wouldn't waste time and money on LPG. Garages that stock it are rare here as there's no tax subsidy for it as in the UK. Would probably hurt theresale value here rather than help it.

I've seen a huge fall off in LPG availability in recent years and the price is now the same or more than petrol or diesel. It's only used for forklifts and motorhomes these days that spend time in the UK or Europe.

However...if you happen to live very near the border with Newry there is a Northern garage there that sells LPG...:D -- other than that I wouldn't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

My father ran two cars on LPG years ago when you could get LPG. The performance was quite poor in comparison to petrol.

Ironic that we have an almost nationwide network of relatively cheap natural gas (CNG), yet no cars to run on it. CNG produces less CO2 too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2stageturbo

alias no.9 wrote: »

Not impossible.
    There are 2 places 15 minutes max from me that sell it.

Gormonston service station and blakes cross service station.

North county Dublin is well looked after;)

Irish lpg association website gives a full list of suppliers. www.ilpga.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Yea theres a garage right beside my work.
    but it seems to me that you only get 75% of the economy of petrol I was just wonderig if the CO2 emissions are less - and so make it less to tax. I cannot seem to find any conclusive evidence.

Advertisement