Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm moving to Galway (About Ireland & localisation...) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Mulan

Would you like me to assume that all people from the capital speak like roddy collins or mrs brown.

Charming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭super-lloyd

When I say rural, Galway would be small enough.
    From my experience town with less or around 80.000 people should do.

In the worst case scenario even big city's fringe are acceptable but less so.... and I would be travelling all the way to Ireland in the hope of avoiding such fate!

How come I got so many answer, I reckon it should be 4AM in Ireland right now?!?!? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Because nerds never sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Learn to drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In my experience though, participation in sports tends to drop quite dramatically as people leave secondary education and then getting back into them is something that people feel is either past them, or they wouldn't be good enough to get back into.
    Even within schools, there's a tendancy to only encourage people who are good at a sport to continue doing it, and less encouragement to simply participate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

It's not a bad country if you could only roof it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mulan wrote: »
    Would you like me to assume that all people from the capital speak like roddy collins or mrs brown.

Charming

Do they not?
    Mulan wrote: »
    "YOU PEOPLE"

Now thats not very nice is it?
    Do you have to be so rude?

I think it's as nice as I need to be. Sure you cant understand me, your practically foreign.

:):):) (we're up to 3 now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

rossie1977 wrote: »
    knock airport has flights to the states, without the queues, willy wonka indeed

I was talking about the other airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I was talking about the other airports.

If you think you're having a better experience at Dublin airport than you would have at Shannon airport you are seriously deluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

shane86 wrote: »
    Really wouldnt recommend Galway. The town is nice, but the county seemingly filled with depressing go nowhere rural backwaters. And the rain, jesus christ I have never seen anywhere like it. Ive been 3 times now, and each time I was glad to be back home. The clubs are...meh....ok. The women are admittedtly quite nice, some of the best in Ireland tbh, and they like the Dubs. But the weather simply isnt worth the few good points, never mind the extortionate train fare (why pay 45 to Galway and back when I can go to Liverpool or Glasgow for an additional tenner and have the weekend of a lifetime). Was offered the chance last Halloween, couldnt be arsed and glad I didnt. Weather, again, was brutal.

Grand if you like your takeaways though. Galway seems to have more Abras and Supermacs than people. And Galwegians seem very up their own arse about how great a place it is. And they say Cork folk are proud?!!? Cromwell didnt say hell or Connaught without reason.

And personally if I was a peasant and had a vision of rainy, desolate, rocky field wind swept Galway Id have sooner died fighting Cromwells men than move. People from abroad do have some bizarre affinity to it though (dont think I have a foreign workmate who hasnt been, some go there almost monthly, god knows why)

You've been to Galway three times!! Well hey hey - listen to THIS guy so :rolleyes: Before I lived in Galway, I actually disliked the place alot. But after having lived there for two wonderful years and working in the city centre (town centre) I absolutely reccommend it to anyone. I would reccommend, if you are looking for accommodation to look for the Westside of the city (knocknacarra is fantastic if you drive and traffic in from this side of the city tends not to be so bad)

The weather is generally the same all over this tiny island (esp in the west - Galway is no more rainy than Donegal or Cork)

A drive out through Connemara to Clifden on a sunny day is beautiful. You couldn't enjoy a relaxing drive more. Clifden is a lovely little town in county Galway. I used to enjoy long spins out along teh Atlantic in the West of the county Galway countryside when the sun was shining (which it did just as much as it does back here in Sligo, and anytime I've been in Limerick/Dublin/Tralee/Longford/Donegal/Belfast the weather seems pretty much the same as Galway so don't listen to the weather experts!!!)

I am not from Galway nor are any of my family, so I dn't hold a biased opinio nbased on my roots.... but my dream would be to eventually move back there to raise my daughter as it is a great little spot. It has all the facilities you could wish for (sports facilities, parks to walk in, lovely pubs/clubs and restaurants, arts facilities, university, etc) yet it has kept its character and as somebody else pointed out, it comes accross as a town, rather than a city, which personally, I find great!

Yes, it has it's hippies, who never once bothered me, and I'm no hippy I'm afraid, yes it has it's knackers, but it has all sorts of wonderfully diverse people to suit anyones friendship requirements so whatever you are into you will find people with similar interests as yourself in Galway. It's a very friendly place also, although, I did HATE the place before I actually lived there, I can't explain why, maybe because I just didn't know anybody and so, I didn't really enjoy my visits to the place! It's a small enough place that once you have met a few people, you'll be sure to bump into them again at some stage too :)

When I moved there alone and started a new job, people I worked with were very willing to befriend me, and even though I was grateful and also a bit lonely, I didn't befriend them as much as they had wished....don't get me wrong, they were nice people and genuine but just not into the same scene as I was.....however, I gave it about 6 months of the loneliness (I was stuck at home with a baby most of the time) and then I started to make real friends, friends that I now know, having left them behind, are true frends for life. Galway people, genuine people! :)

The weather in Galway sucks balls, unfortunately, but its possible to live with. On the plus side frost and snow are rare here.

Well, personally I wouldn't put up with the dirt & grime & traffic chaos & junkies & pick-pockets & general dullness of the city of Dublin, merely to see a few more sunny days (which you'd probably be spending in you car/on a bus/the luas etc.....at any rate) :)

(also, there's no decent beaches in the east and if there is, I woudn't swim in the filthy Irish sea anyways - much rather the Atlantic thank you very much) :D

Anyways, I did say originally, that the weather was the same (esp. in the west!!!) Which it is, more or less....

l3LoWnA wrote: »
    Anyways, I did say originally, that the weather was the same (esp. in the west!!!) Which it is, more or less....

According to the chart above there is almost double the amount of annual rainfall in Galway than in Dublin...

I don't agree. If you live in Galway, and live somewhere that's handy for work AND know the short-cuts, the traffic is never a problem. I never even had a problem with traffic on a Friday eve @ 5pm getting out of the city (I used back-roads and short-cuts, when you live there you learn the routes) :)

My car has a problem with over-heating when in slow-moving traffic and it never once happened in Galway traffic, but did in Limerick as I didn't know Limerick and ended up stuck in the traffic that everyone else was stuck in!

I suppose it depends where you live though, and where you're going.....the headford road/tuem road are a joke at times, as is the east side of the city in rush hour.

You're right, nowhere compares to Dublin traffic!

cornbb wrote: »
    According to the chart above there is almost double the amount of annual rainfall in Galway than in Dublin...

I know but many other parts of the west have just as bad weather as Galway!

Would you genuinely then, advise this guy to move to DUBLIN just because it rains a little less! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

cornbb wrote: »

if you read that map again the rainfall amount for galway city (which this thread is mainly focused on) is just 1000-1200mm, with dublin at 800-1000mm

north west galway, south mayo has the most rain like parts of kerry, donegal and wicklow because those places have the highest mountains, rain clouds can't pass those mountains and so they dump all the rain on the mountainside.

l3LoWnA wrote: »
    I know but many other parts of the west have just as bad weather as Galway!

Would you genuinely then, advise this guy to move to DUBLIN just because it rains a little less! :eek:

Nono, I agree with your other points. Galway is a great spot, I'd much rather live here than in Dublin.
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    if you read that map again the rainfall amount for galway city (which this thread is mainly focused on) is just 1000-1200mm, with dublin at 800-1000mm

north west galway, south mayo has the most rain like parts of kerry, donegal and wicklow because those places have the highest mountains, rain clouds can't pass those mountains and so they dump all the rain on the mountainside.

Found it kinda hard to read that but I thought the difference was more. Yes, I noticed that about the mountains alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Hi all, due to health and career issue I'm thinking to move to the Irish country side.

However, having lived the last 6 years in the sunny queensland (NE of Australia) I'm a bit daunted at the prospect of moving to the cold and rainy Ireland. ;)

Now, I would need some positive feedback about the wonderfull live I could lead in its greenish country side to motivate me.
    Care to enlighten me about the joy of being in Ireland (in place like Galway, Limerick, etc... in fact anywhere but Dublin and Cork)? :D

I can give you my opinion. As other posters have stated it's by no means the worst place in the world to live but thats the best thing I can really say about it. Infrastructure from roads, rails, buses to telecommunications leaves a lot to be desired. The weather is miserable and our licensing laws are fairly antiquated. Healthcare is good (provided you have private) and the education system is also quite good. You'll pay very high vehicle registration tax.
    In summary I would say Ireland is a country in flux, trying to accomplish 50 years of progress in 10 or 15 and gradually becoming more European due in a large part to the influx of immigrants in recent times. Not the worst place by any means but if you're only looking for positive then you're not really getting the true picture to make an informed decision.

mmhh... I start to think Galway would be a good move.
    However one thing bother me, many people mention traffic chaos in Galway :confused:, mmhhh i try to avoid those... :( (it's why I'm thinking of Ireland..)

From my memory a few year ago (about, ho.... 7 years ago) there was none such there!

Is it general, or just a few main street?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

mmhh... I start to think Galway would be a good move.
    However one thing bother me, many people mention traffic chaos in Galway :confused:, mmhhh i try to avoid those... :( (it's why I'm thinking of Ireland..)

From my memory a few year ago (about, ho.... 7 years ago) there was none such there!

Is it general, or just a few main street?!?

Traffic ain't that bad, just mental for the little roads they have over ther, everywhwere in the city is close enough to walk, Buy a good hat and coat, An let the good times begin

G-G-G-Galway

Traffic ain't that bad, just mental for the little roads they have over ther, everywhwere in the city is close enough to walk, Buy a good hat and coat, An let the good times begin

G-G-G-Galway

Yeah cool!
    I was thinking to buy a bike as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Bike is handy, but get a cheap one, cos it'll probably get nicked, by a knacker or drunk student.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

If you feel your edging away from places your interested in because of lack of jobs, you could always get a programming job that allows you to work from home, plenty of people do it and hi-speed broadband is available in most places in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

+1 for Galway
    I honestly wouldn't consider living anywhere else in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I always get soaked in Galway, but that's just my cross to bear. Jinxed:D
    I often noticed it can be very windy, with the gust whisling up from the quays. A combination of the river and bay I suppose. Having said that, it's a great town. Anyway, computer programming would probably occur in an outlying industrial estate or business park, so you'd avoid the worst of the traffic in the center.
    As far as Irish weather goes....you have to realise something super-lloyd. We're after having our wettest year ever by some distance, and people are feeling more than a little disgruntled with it. TBH most years we get some kind of a Summer, with some nice weeks in Spring and often a very nice Autumn. Even a clear, bright day in Winter can be lovely. Anyway, Sorrento in Italy is currently 1 degree colder than here and it's raining there:eek:
    There's loads of Aussies here, especially in the south and west coasts, as the surfing attracts them. I've known quite a few who've came to Sligo from some other part of the country or even the U.K. to check out the surfing for a weekend, and ended up staying a year or two.
    The Swedish have a saying, "there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes." It's utter crap, but I suppose there's a grain of truth to it. Irish people tend to underdress for the weather habitually. Freezing? Off to the pub in just a shirt. Pissing? I'll just bring this pullover, in case it gets really c@ntish.
    One more thing. If you've got a French passport, that makes yu an E.U. citizen, doesn't it. Therefore, no real restriction on moving here. I'd say.

As outlined in this post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54635527
    (no, I'm not from another galaxy, just from Brisbane - Australia :D)

Anyway I was thinking to move to Ireland (preferably Galway).
    Now I though over it so much that tomorrow I'm going to travel agency pay my reserved flight and I should arrive in Dublin on Saturday January 12th (2008 of course). at 11:50 am.

Now to stick to my plan and go away from polluted cities, I'd like to go to Galway right away.

Any advice on how to go to Galway right away, I mean is there bus / train (close to the airport?) going from Galway to Dublin that I could take in the early afternoon?

What about cheap accomodation, any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Merging these threads.
    You could check with Soc -> Commuting & Transport, re: getting there.
    And Region -> West -> Galway City, re: accommodation.

Bus services link Dublin Airport with Dublin City - http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/airport_services.asp

You're then looking for either Busaras(National buses - www.buseireann.ie) or Heuston Station(National trains - www.irishrail.ie )

Expect to be wrecked tired after it.

Advertisement