Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm moving to Galway (About Ireland & localisation...) [Merged]

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭super-lloyd

Karoma wrote: »
    Bus services link Dublin Airport with Dublin City - http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/airport_services.asp

You're then looking for either Busaras(National buses - www.buseireann.ie) or Heuston Station(National trains - www.irishrail.ie ).
    Thanks! :)
    Karoma wrote: »
    Expect to be wrecked tired after it.
    hehe...
    After my last trip Sydney => Nice (which was in better condition as I had a 18 hours stop in Frankfurt: a good sleep and a bit of tourism) I kind of managed, sleeping in the plane help! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Don't listen to Karoma on the buses... you don't have to go into Dublin.
    http://www.nestorairlink.ie/
    http://www.citylink.ie/
    Citylink probably has the more comprehensive service, but i think both have airport only routes...

Also when flying here i'd seriously recommend avoiding Heathrow (most airlines seem to automatically divert people through it). you can go through Frankfurt, it's a much easier journey.

hey cool, I found these direct and affordable line Dublin Airport - Galway!
    http://www.citylink.ie/timetable-galw2dubl.htm

very good price as well. thanks!

do I really need to book in advance though?
    and the Contact Us button is broken...

Well, I'm a bit short on time and choice for my reservation. But luckily for me the plane does stop in Frankfurt! (Brisbane -> Singapore -> Frankfurt -> Dublin, all in "1 day": 10th at 13:45 to the 11th at 11:50)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

You're flying into Dublin rather than Shannon? If you haven't already booked, it might be an idea to book for Shannon - much closer to Galway, and often cheaper to fly to/from.

If you're flying into Dublin, though, there are lots of buses going from Dublin to Galway, both Bus Eireann and independent companies. Ask the driver on the bus you get into Dublin city (a 747 or Airlink; fare's around €7; don't get a taxi from the airport - big ripoff). He or she will be able to tell you.

If you need to stay overnight in Dublin there are lots of hostels - Isaac's is near both the Bus Eireann bus station and O'Connell Street, from which most of the independent buses used to leave (do they still?) but it's a dodgy area; mind yourself and mind your stuff.

Ha... no I haven't booked my flight yet (will do tomorrow).
    I guess Shannon would be better then, excellent tip! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Ha... no I haven't booked my flight yet (will do tomorrow).
    I guess Shannon would be better then, excellent tip! ;)

If you dont have a car I don't know how easy it is to get from Shannon Airport to Galway! Although, there may be buses, not sure!

Good news though, if you chose to fly to Dublin! You don't have to leave Dublin airport (phew!!)

Aer Arann fly from Dublin to Galway 4 times daily and it costs about €25 (about 42 dollars)

There are also some lovely Dublin Airport Hotels (I'd recommend the Crowne Plaza for a night, gorgeous hotel, love it....and there's a free shuttle bus to and from Dublin airport every half hour so if you want to relax after your long flight you could stay there for a night and fly to Galway the next morning!)

You can book flight to Galway from Dublin here www.aerarann.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Citylink also go from Shannon to Galway. Or check out Aerarann as mentioned before - you might get lucky and get a cheap flight across. Just getting from the airport in Galway to town is a bit of a pain, since there are no busses, just taxis (expect to pay around 15 Euro)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I thought I'd heard that there was now a Galway Airport to Galway bus, no?

Flying by Aer Arann isn't a bad idea - though it's expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭david1two3

Ireland is the best place in the world. I dont care what anyone says ;) even the weather is great depending on how you look at it!! What is more comfortable than coming home on a cold wet night lighting a fire, having a drink and a nice bit of food and listening to the weather outside. I love it!

Ireland is the best place in the world,yes.But only till you realise that there are mirror images of the place all over the world with the same sense of fun but more importantly , fantastic weather.

Dominican Republic(when it rains it falls on you in huge drops and its still 85 degrees),Greece(Crete)mountains to die for on the bike, Marseille(January,minus 15 chill at the top of the hill by the church with 80 mph wind)with its North African influence,Sportugal for its easy going people and the fish,Italy (for it sophistification and general humour of the people from age 5 to 75),Turkey (hot, steamy great fun ,cheap),Spain (same as all the rest ,just tainted by the thieves who run amock,lost £1200 worth of cameras and phone) , Korea (although I have not been I met them in London and they are convinced they are just like the Irish and after I got over the visual aspect of the similarities I realised they were madder than us after a few pints).

Then we get back to Ireland where my memory of Galway was of being soaked most of the times I ventured around the city. I had no transport in those days but it is a memory I cant forget and the wind as you go around the corner of the last unamusement arcade before Leisure Land is amazing ,you can lean over at a mad angle ,walk forward and its like climbing a mountain as a two year old. I just cant make the weather liveable , if it was like the med it would be the finest place in Urup so as it stands its the best damp spot in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭david1two3

Athens dry is like a town in Galway, the Greek one in December could be the Galway one on the 15th of August, you would be hard pressed to understand a word at the end of the day in either but for different reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Don't listen to Karoma on the buses... you don't have to go into Dublin.

I didn't say he had to... bah! you big bully.

Yeah David 1-2-3, what a brillant summary! :)
    I'm very sad to leave Australia (I'm still trying for 1 opportunity in Cairns), but, hopefully, Ireland is the best spot in the worl where I can have a well paid, interesting, programmer job while working in rural environment.

If you have any suggestion for any such place with a beautiful weather I would be glad to know?

I tried in Australia for the last 2 month (where I'm currently), but most job on the sunshine coast are for web developer with heaps of experience (I'm more like a desktop application developer), hence, in despair my move to Ireland. I hope the Job Add I saw in Galway and around are not for web developer as well, otherwise I'm screwed.... (They didn't seems to be, but who knows)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 yakyak

Hi,
    Presently living in Galway having moved up from Cork after seven years, originally from Antrim, but can tell you this my friend, NO WHERE beats west Cork or the Kinsale region of Cork itself. I do not know what age of a person you are, but if retiring and looking for a nice sized town, by the sea , boating fishing,shooting,great social life and some of the best scenery in the country then my god Kinsale is the place.....i'd move back tomorrow !!!!

check out.
    Kinsale..........or indeed the wild west of cork county.:)

check out www.daft.ie for the property rates and locations etc, and most of all, best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

yakyak wrote: »
    Hi,
    Presently living in Galway having moved up from Cork after seven years, originally from Antrim, but can tell you this my friend, NO WHERE beats west Cork or the Kinsale region of Cork itself. I do not know what age of a person you are, but if retiring and looking for a nice sized town, by the sea , boating fishing,shooting,great social life and some of the best scenery in the country then my god Kinsale is the place.....i'd move back tomorrow !!!!

check out.
    Kinsale..........or indeed the wild west of cork county.:)

check out www.daft.ie for the property rates and locations etc, and most of all, best of luck to you.

Dunmore East for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

off to some other forum with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Morbid.Angel

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dublin2galway

Moving to Galway myself. We decided to move our lives down there and get out of the Dublin rat race. Time will tell if it's the right decision!

http://movegalway.blogspot.com/

Just to say that it just so happened that I stayed in Australia, I moved to Darwin instead, which is even better for me! :)

Advertisement