Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda refused pistol licence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Let's not go there again, my delete key is getting worn down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Lads my take on it is simply this. for years the whole issue of firearms licensing has been a total mess. i first licenced a gun over thirty years ago and have had manys a confrontation over the years..however i can honestly say that things are improving all the time..case in point , a friend of mines purchased a 243 last friday and was shooting with it this evening, having traded in his 223 against it.now this type of thing was totally unheard of a few years ago. in my opinion and feel free to shout me down , is that we are seeing more enlightened members of the gardai than once existed in the stations around ireland. my last encounter with the local FO left me flabbergasted to say the least.
    The FCP has finally given the irish shooter a voice which we have never really had and deserves total support from every shooter in the land,because even they only make incremental gains its still a plus, and
    any negotiation has to be better than no negotiation.
    Give the horse its head ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

agree foxshooter its a start.i still believe the doj /guards should have made a goodwill offer on something.btw congrats to your friend:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

patbundy wrote: »
    .......i still believe the doj /guards should have made a goodwill offer on something......

Like reloading, everything else is within reason sorted ?

agree foxshooter its a start.i still believe the doj /guards should have made a goodwill offer on something.btw congrats to your friend:):)

Pat, we cant expect the DOJ to throw something on the table as a gesture so to speak, cos any changes will have to be well structured and watertight-but i would bet my bottom dollar that in five years time if we look back we may see the benefits of the FCP, and what we need to remember that in the past 35 years basically no progress was made,
    the situation is on the turn , at least now we are moving in a positive direction and i would think that the FCP will put some momentum behind all our causes, when people sit down at the same table that in itself is progress and is the best way forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

that have they are talking to us wait and see:)

Bunny , the problem with reloading i can understand, because theres some uncertainty as to how the practise can be implemented, considering liability and competency as well as accounting for powder etc and remember that the folks that are dealing with these issues are not shooters, but this is where i would be thinking the FCP will play a major role, because the FCP can offer an insight into best practise, and suggest
    methods of introduction etc- if we did not have the FCP I wouldnt give a
    snowballs chance in hell of having it introduced, but at least we have guys at the table now batting for our side, we must give them a chance!

........... but at least we have guys at the table now batting for our side, we must give them a chance!

Reckon that's what the lads said when Chaimbelain was gone to speak to Mr Hitler :pac:

Reckon that's what the lads said when Chaimbelain was gone to speak to Mr Hitler :pac:

yeah but they always knew they had churchill sitting on the sidelines:eek::D

yeah but they always knew they had churchill sitting on the sidelines:eek::D

And the "Yanks",oooooooh God help us, no wait they can have guns, nice guns, black ones even :D

• Advertisement

ha ha ha,dont get me wrong fox im all for the fcp and its nothing to do with the fcp panel.its the doj/guards talk.down in cork we had those kind of talks in orther matters and even a promise on main news from a certain person,what happened we got shafted since then cant trust doj/guards cos they talk from the same hymn sheet

ha ha ha,dont get me wrong fox im all for the fcp and its nothing to do with the fcp panel.its the doj/guards talk.down in cork we had those kind of talks in orther matters and even a promise on main news from a certain person,what happened we got shafted since then cant trust doj/guards cos they talk from the same hymn sheet

i understand where your coming from pat, but i would be hopeful with regards to the FCP, so would be prepared to give them full support.;)

Well, the Gardai have already stood up in front of the FCP conference and publicly admitted that there are problem superintendents in the country when it comes to firearms licencing. Dunno 'bout you, but my ears popped on hearing that one, because I can't ever recall even thinking that the Gardai would say that.
    And the DoJ not only set up the FCP, but paid for the conference, so they're investing time and money into it. Does paying for the table count as putting something on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Where exactly in the public domain is this enlightening piece of prose ?

And she is ? Ah that's right she is/was a politician, and you can always believe everything they say :rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55873402&postcount=72

The phrase: 'licence fee hike' should give you a clue :)
    Talk IS cheap. Action is what's needed. The court cases have all ruled against the establishment and they are trying to stall for time to make sure they won't loose the next round. There has been no change in nothing to do with firearms. Supers are still insisiting on conditions that aren't legal, by your own admission, and now we're being told to hold tight so the FCP can sort it out.

So far bunny, all I've seen is negative comment and slagging. Have you a course of action in mind?
    Looks to me that it will be sorted alright. Practical shooters are being sorted. Who's next ? Won't be your shooting rrpc !
    How do you know bunny? You know about some things I do, not all of them and you certainly don't have a clue what I might want to do next.

Not that it's any of your business.

No wonder the sport is so divided when everyone is pointing to everyone else and attacking them for doing their job right and implying that because they got what they needed (in your view) that means de facto they made sure everyone else got stuffed in the process.

All supported by rumour and innuendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

rrpc wrote: »
    All supported by rumour and innuendo.

in-your-endo, sorry couldn't resist

Sparks wrote: »
    Well, the Gardai have already stood up in front of the FCP conference and publicly admitted that there are problem superintendents in the country when it comes to firearms licencing. Dunno 'bout you, but my ears popped on hearing that one, because I can't ever recall even thinking that the Gardai would say that.
    And the DoJ not only set up the FCP, but paid for the conference, so they're investing time and money into it. Does paying for the table count as putting something on it?

its a start sparks:), eh sparks we paid for the table(taxpayers money):D:D

sparks,dont i get a reply on this:D

Way I see it pat, that's a daft argument. Unless you happen to be a tax exile, you don't pay tax to the DoJ; you pay it to the state as a whole and the DoJ fight for their slice of that pie, and then someone in the DoJ had to stand up and argue for a cut from that slice for this whole process, from others above them. That's a good faith effort on their behalf, at least.

true good faith and a very good effort but dont say that they the paid for it.

I reckon it was MY tax they used :eek:

• Advertisement

is that it sparks

hi pat Unless you happen to be a tax exile do you live outside of EEC
    ans YES OR NO PAT tell us all:eek:

o pat you do live outside of the eec you are in CORK:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

is that it sparks

Well... It's better spent than rent for the storage of voting machines ;).

I think Sparks' point is that it's our taxes actually going to our benefit directly.

To reverse the question, would you prefer they spent it on something else that we couldn't identify? like 10m of motorway :eek:.

I think Sparks' point is that it's our taxes actually going to our benefit directly.

To reverse the question, would you prefer they spent it on something else that we couldn't identify? like 10m of motorway :eek:.

the tax money for the doj is a little :( WHY criminals need more for free
    legal aid:mad:

ya hair im in the rebel county...look left.:D:D:D

thehair wrote: »
    the tax money for the doj is a little :( WHY criminals need more for free
    legal aid:mad:

ha ha ha true

ha ha ha nice one rrpc ,its that 10 miles or meters?:D .if you look up the spender meter between the golfers and us,who spent more and who got more grants

ha ha ha nice one rrpc ,its that 10 miles or meters?:D .if you look up the spender meter between the golfers and us,who spent more and who got more grants

Now that's a good point I feel a new thread coming on :D

• Advertisement

Ease off on the nonsense posts there pat, take it to PMs.

On the whole "good faith gesture" bit, the DoJ gets a set amount to operate on and they set a portion aside to pay for the table, instead of using it to pay for other DoJ projects (of which there are many). Which means that someone in the firearms section had to justify that to the Minister, and the Minister had to approve it. That's the good faith gesture right there. Were people expecting a few million to be donated to everyone or something?

As to grant aid and golfers, sports grant aid comes through the DoAST, not the DoJ.

And as to knowing what your taxes are spent on (you singular as opposed to you plural), I don't think even the DoF could tell you that.

Advertisement