Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DJs & Pay

• 12-12-2007 9:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭

This is purely out of curiosity, (I am no way near being good enough to be demanding money for my time!) but what sort of money are we talking for:

1. DJs spinning a few tunes in a bar?
    2. Local DJ mixing a few tunes in a local club?
    3. Residency, is it still based on pay per play or more like a salary?

I know it's all relative to location, club etc..but an average on all the above would be good to know...just out of curiosity?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

50-70 for the night

100 for the night
    3. Residency, is it still based on pay per play or more like a salary?

100 an hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

wow, not great dough unless you are a resident so.
    thanks PeakOutput.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

I worked for the odeon group (odeon, 4 dame lane) a few years ago and the rate was 170 for 3.5 hrs. Not great but not bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I do mobile work, in general i charge 50 yoyo per hour. Seems to be the going rate locally....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Yeah,mobile stuff isn't bad.was getting around 250 to work from 8 - 12.30.Major downfall was the music for 21sts etc.

weddings are ridiculous money.Have known DJs to get 600Euro for a night.

Hey Sweetie,didn't you have a post up here and mentioned doing Alison Curtis' wedding?How did that go?Any craziness today fm style?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

This is purely out of curiosity, (I am no way near being good enough to be demanding money for my time!) .......

Doesnt stop most of the DJs in this country tbh. Id be embarrased to play Scissor Sisters or any of that crap in a club.

Its something Id certainly consider once I get a bit old for wrecking it every single weekend. You reckon the kids will still dig mid 90s dance classics in 2020? :) Or will No Good 4 Me be something todays babies saw their pushing 40 something parents wrecking it to at a wedding in 2015 and will be mortified by the whole thing?

shane86 wrote: »
    Doesnt stop most of the DJs in this country tbh. Id be embarrased to play Scissor Sisters or any of that crap in a club.

Its something Id certainly consider once I get a bit old for wrecking it every single weekend. You reckon the kids will still dig mid 90s dance classics in 2020? :) Or will No Good 4 Me be something todays babies saw their pushing 40 something parents wrecking it to at a wedding in 2015 and will be mortified by the whole thing?

I can only hope mid 90's dance music will make a retro return in the next 10 years and then I will take to the clubs and weddings etc and charge a bomb :D

Yes, I will never play the scissor sisters...how much, 600?? Oh sure, a scissor sister medley be OK for ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Yes, I will never play the scissor sisters...how much, 600?? Oh sure, a scissor sister medley be OK for ya!

Yeah. **** it, I can be bought :D Ill just bring the earplugs lest I suffer some seizure from the excessive cheese intake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Yeah,mobile stuff isn't bad.was getting around 250 to work from 8 - 12.30.Major downfall was the music for 21sts etc.

weddings are ridiculous money.Have known DJs to get 600Euro for a night.

Hey Sweetie,didn't you have a post up here and mentioned doing Alison Curtis' wedding?How did that go?Any craziness today fm style?

I recently got 550 for a wedding, three and a half hours. I was charging 450 but they were so happy they added another hundred. Was great playing interpol, arcade fire and clap your hands say yeah at a wedding too. In fairness some of the older crowd made an effort to dance to the stuff they didn't know.

Paddylonglegs: I had a blast at Alison's wedding. They wanted a mixture of alternative and some good chart stuff and thanks to the good crowd we had a decent amount up on the dancefloor. Ian Dempsey nodded to me as he was leaving too :D Having father Noel Furlong there to get everyone up to dance was also a help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

PeakOutput wrote: »
    50-70 for the night

100 for the night

100 an hour

100euro an hour would be nice alright but when you have agencies having 90%(guesstimate based of my experience of industry) you wouldnt be getting that kind of money.

• Advertisement

Off the mark mate somewhat...

can you clarify please Ronan?

I had edited my post...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

100euro an hour would be nice alright but when you have agencies having 90%(guesstimate based of my experience of industry) you wouldnt be getting that kind of money.

when i talk about residents im talking about "proper dance music" residencies with "proper dance music" clubs i dont mean the guy who is playing every week at your local packed to the brim cheese fest club i should of pointed that out my bad

when i talk about residents im talking about "proper dance music" residencies with "proper dance music" clubs i dont mean the guy who is playing every week at your local packed to the brim cheese fest club i should of pointed that out my bad

yeah, I was also asking my original question with these type of DJs (proper dance music DJs, not someone who spins the contents of Now 68 all night).

Agencies were mentioned, are agencies used a lot in this area or only used when a DJ becomes fairly well known internationally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Hang on a second.... where in gods name is someone actually working for 70euro for a nights work.

Come on.... name and shame.....

Minimum for a DJ nights work in the real world for a walk in late night pub/club is at least €180 Thursday/Friday for 3-4 hours. Minuimum €200 for Sat night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Littlepete

Well yeah think about it, a club manager isnt going to listen to 100's of demos to try to work out who's the next big thing and risk an unhappy crowd. Big clubs turn to the Top agencies. StarDJs.ie or EML and book the names that are gauranteed to give the desired result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Da Funky Munky

50-70 for the night

100 for the night

WHERE in the name of all thats holy are you getting these quotes from?! :eek:

They're extremely wrong Im afraid. Especially the first one. A DJ spinning a "few tunes in a bar" was getting more than that 10 years ago and he was getting it in punts.

Id loved to know where exactly is allegedly paying 50-70 euros for a bar DJ. Name and shame! :)

Littlepete wrote: »
    Top agencies. StarDJs.ie or EML and book the names that are gauranteed to give the desired result.

Top Agencies my arse. My experience with "top agencies" is that I came off the better. Long and short of it was I lost my gig to them undercutting me. A month later I was back at the venue due to the "drop in numbers".;) Sometimes the cheap option isn't always the best:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Prefabsprouter

bbability wrote: »
    Top Agencies my arse. My experience with "top agencies" is that I came off the better. Long and short of it was I lost my gig to them undercutting me. A month later I was back at the venue due to the "drop in numbers".;) Sometimes the cheap option isn't always the best:rolleyes:
    Exactly!! Ever heard the saying "Buy cheap, Buy Twice"??

I was undercut once or twice too but was called back because the other guys couldnt hack it. and believe me, pub owners dont want excuses, they want results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've not been offered less than 120 a night for "spinning a few tunes in a bar" since about 2003... and that was rejected due to it being fecking miles away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SoundGuyDave

I'm fairly new to DJ'ing and usually charge 50per hr, whichs gets u a wide range of music and top quallty gear I might add (cant beat those ol 18" jbl bins knockin people of their feet:D)
    I'm quite surprised to see my "off the top of the head" figure is just about the going rate.
    My question is: I done steven's night and news yrs just gone and doubled my price is that the done thing??

Yea, If I were to work on Stephens Night/New years I'd double my rate

Yeah got double time for NYE. Its the done thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SoundGuyDave

Ta Neon-Circles & Prefabsprouter glad to hear, cheers:)
    Now is it time and a half for overtime??? lol only kiddin:D

Remember on Stephens Nite or NYE they try to get a few hours extra aswell as paying you double or time and half for your regular hours..

Yeah, you can generally start up to 2 hours earlier on 26th/31st I've found, depends where you are and what you're doing, can end up being quite a lucrative night.

Yeah I've done longer hours on NYE but its worth it financially

Got caught out one year on NYE at a venue. Agreed to pay me double a month before as I has other offers in the City Centre. On the night in question the manager told me that he was only able to pay me 1.5 times the normal amount. I turned the music off an hour before close. Got my money and gave the owner a lesson in messin me about. Too many rookies these days are been used and abused as far as I can see and read. Once the business/industry in not regulated its open to this sort of abuse.

Yeah I've heard stories of DJ's being paid badly and taking the work for fear of being "passed over".

• Advertisement

Got caught out one year on NYE at a venue. Agreed to pay me double a month before as I has other offers in the City Centre. On the night in question the manager told me that he was only able to pay me 1.5 times the normal amount. I turned the music off an hour before close. Got my money and gave the owner a lesson in messin me about. Too many rookies these days are been used and abused as far as I can see and read. Once the business/industry in not regulated its open to this sort of abuse.

ha ha, could U imagine powering down the mixer at 11:55 on New Years Eve and just walking up to the bar and order a pint and read the paper :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Regulated....any idea how many Dj's would be in trouble if the did that?

Regulated....any idea how many Dj's would be in trouble if the did that?
    Im all for this

Im all for this

So you'd be into suppling the venues you play in with a vat invoice? Don't think any mod will let me continue with this so i'll stop there. :rolleyes:

So you'd be into suppling the venues you play in with a vat invoice? Don't think any mod will let me continue with this so i'll stop there. :rolleyes:

Not everyone works cash in hand, and theres been a clampdown in the regions at least of venues being forced to provide the PPS numbers of DJs. Most of the younger crew I know use a holding company to funnel the work through, generally end up managing to write off so many costs against it that the take home is quite similar.

Yes, true. But average joe-soap small local mobile DJ's operating locally, like myself would not welcome regulation- gets messy, legal etc. If I were to encounter problems with people not paying, or giving trouble, I would insist on drawing up a contract with the organiser, at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭djdeclan

Depending on your turnover there may be no need to supply the venue with a "VAT invoice" i.e. you will have to invoice them but you won't have to charge VAT..that said, if you are doing this professionally then why not register? if the venues are VAT registered then they can reclaim the VAT and you can claim back the VAT on your inputs such as equipment and cds/downloads. The venue can legitimately claim the expense in their accounts too so you are both better off!
    The only issue here is whether you are prepared to declare all your earnings to the revenue comms for income tax purposes...
    I dont think regulation would remove cowboys and undercutters from the industry though...at the end of the day as long as there are lads looking to pay some guy €100 for a 4 hour mobile gig there will be lads willing to do it...

true, you don't have to be set up for vat. But the whole income tax part is unavoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 hans gruber

Holy **** you guys have a very glamorous vision of djing.

I've played weddings for 400 odd quid, and done one-off's for parties on similar terms, but for underground music, if you "charge" 50 an hour, you're not gonna get a gig very often.

Residencies, to get that kind of money, you're looking at having to play very big clubs.

underground music....appeals to fewer punters....runs in smaller venues....makes less money.

**** it i'll take elton john's gig fee above laurent garniers, any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Holy **** you guys have a very glamorous vision of djing.

I've played weddings for 400 odd quid, and done one-off's for parties on similar terms, but for underground music, if you "charge" 50 an hour, you're not gonna get a gig very often.

Residencies, to get that kind of money, you're looking at having to play very big clubs.

underground music....appeals to fewer punters....runs in smaller venues....makes less money.

**** it i'll take elton john's gig fee above laurent garniers, any day.

As a matter of interest how come Weddings are much more expensive than 21sts? (I assume they are).

Yes they can be Tim for a number of reasons:

1. The hotel might be down the country

2. There might be a bar extension

3. I know of situations where the DJ has been asked by the bride and groom to have the equipment set up the same time as the band, play the first dance (cause the band couldnt be arsed to learn the song!) and then wait around until after the band have finished. so there's 2.5 hours of sitting around doing nothing before you even properly play.

Mind you it never ceases to amaze how many people feel they can get a lot more money simply because its a wedding especially bands.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

A lot of very good posts and then the usual selection of those posts that think that if your not using records and SL1210s and in a club educating a crowd you are not a 'real dj'. Well bollocks to that!!

I have been a working DJ for almost 20 years. In the past I have done the big gigs, played the big venues and what have i got out of it? Feck all!! It doesnt pay the mortgage at the end of the day. Sure I can say I played the Red Box, System, the assylm, and all that but frankly at the end of the day the money was always crap and nobody remembers me for it!

Someone posted that they couldnt play scissor sisters or cheese like that. Fine, thats ok. You, as a DJ can make the choice on what kind of venues you play or the type of events you do. I know one thing, I play cheese, the more the better, I do weddings, Im not ashamed to say this because I have a house, I have an investment property, I drive a nice car that I bought in 2007and I am changing in 2008. I have a fairly good standard of living and I am proud of the work that I do. I charge accordingly, again 20 years in the business, a very long list of happy clients and when I turn around and charge €450 for a 21st, or €600 for a wedding there is never a problem. Then again on a Monday or Tuesday night I have no problem doing a pub quiz for €160. Its work and it all adds up!

Agenices: Well there is the good and the bad. Most agencies will take a decent cut. Well thats the way it goes, if you dont want to work for an agency, you go out there and call into the bars and clubs and do the leg work. Nobody is forcing anyone to join an agency. Most Djs find agencies fine cos the gig is there, and if they want out of need a change they go to the agency and its sorted. Whatever problem people have with agencies is fine, because I dont know of any business that doesnt have complaints from their workers.

In conclusion, I respect all DJs, whether your the king of cheese, or the guy playing in front of 10000 people and making a bundle of money. We do it because we love it and its better than working for a living! At this moment Im listening to Dawn - Tie a yellow around the old oak tree, before that it was DJ Spy - Close to your heart! I listen to all types of music. All I would ask for is respect for peoples styles.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 hans gruber

Well thats just it really.

Some do it for love/fun, others for money.

Thats why the fees thing varies so much. I know nothing of the "job" side of it, aside of a few one-offs, personally

a very good post Preset, I think you sum it up well. Yes, it's all about respect at the end of the day.

Yes they can be Tim for a number of reasons:

1. The hotel might be down the country

2. There might be a bar extension

3. I know of situations where the DJ has been asked by the bride and groom to have the equipment set up the same time as the band, play the first dance (cause the band couldnt be arsed to learn the song!) and then wait around until after the band have finished. so there's 2.5 hours of sitting around doing nothing before you even properly play.

Mind you it never ceases to amaze how many people feel they can get a lot more money simply because its a wedding especially bands.

Ok, yes you charge depends on the distance to venue. Yes if you doing a pre-meal set up that can cost a bit more.

I will not get into the whole band charges more for wedding topic, this tread is about dj's. But as for bands not learning the songs. Most clients forget that when the book there 3 piece wedding band and then ask them to play an Elton John number, there not going to sound like the bloody original. Or the book a Disco band and ask them to play some country song, the band murder it and the client gets pissed off. Hence why most 1st dances are on cd. But yes, the band should have the 1st dance sorted and they should be able to play it. Guess your just unlucky with getting stung like that. :rolleyes:

Preset is like most of the dj's i've encountered. Charges alot for wedding but then again like he says he has been doing it for over 20 years and thats what he charges, if they pay him then fine. I am sure he is worth his money. I agree with his post.

Most people don't seem to understand the amount of effort that goes into playing a wedding. You can not just walk in with you laptop, two tops and off you go. Yes maybe you'll be fine but there is always, what if something happens... Where is your backup? I've got 4 sources of music incase one source fails, my main PA, if that fails I have access to another one straight away. I set up premeal if needed. 3 of every type of lead. Spare this and spare that. Email clients months in advance to get sorted etc etc. I am only one person, some bands have 8/9 members!!!

So you charge what you think you deserve for your effort.

A lot of very good posts and then the usual selection of those posts that think that if your not using records and SL1210s and in a club educating a crowd you are not a 'real dj'. Well bollocks to that!!

I have been a working DJ for almost 20 years. In the past I have done the big gigs, played the big venues and what have i got out of it? Feck all!! It doesnt pay the mortgage at the end of the day. Sure I can say I played the Red Box, System, the assylm, and all that but frankly at the end of the day the money was always crap and nobody remembers me for it!

Someone posted that they couldnt play scissor sisters or cheese like that. Fine, thats ok. You, as a DJ can make the choice on what kind of venues you play or the type of events you do. I know one thing, I play cheese, the more the better, I do weddings, Im not ashamed to say this because I have a house, I have an investment property, I drive a nice car that I bought in 2007and I am changing in 2008. I have a fairly good standard of living and I am proud of the work that I do. I charge accordingly, again 20 years in the business, a very long list of happy clients and when I turn around and charge €450 for a 21st, or €600 for a wedding there is never a problem. Then again on a Monday or Tuesday night I have no problem doing a pub quiz for €160. Its work and it all adds up!

Agenices: Well there is the good and the bad. Most agencies will take a decent cut. Well thats the way it goes, if you dont want to work for an agency, you go out there and call into the bars and clubs and do the leg work. Nobody is forcing anyone to join an agency. Most Djs find agencies fine cos the gig is there, and if they want out of need a change they go to the agency and its sorted. Whatever problem people have with agencies is fine, because I dont know of any business that doesnt have complaints from their workers.

In conclusion, I respect all DJs, whether your the king of cheese, or the guy playing in front of 10000 people and making a bundle of money. We do it because we love it and its better than working for a living! At this moment Im listening to Dawn - Tie a yellow around the old oak tree, before that it was DJ Spy - Close to your heart! I listen to all types of music. All I would ask for is respect for peoples styles.
    I completely agree. I also would play cheese if it makes people happy. Parties are good and you can have some great fun . Its not just about playing the most up to date music in the trendiest of places.

Bill, I do agree that you need a backup for your equipment when playing a wedding. A wedding is a special gig, you CANNOT make a cockup when it comes to them. Its the most important day for a bride and groom. I too bring backup sources to a wedding, CD players and Laptops.You do need them for a backup. Unfortunately I havent been able to buy backup P.A. If I'm in Dublin I'm ok in terms of replacements, if I'm down the country I'm hoping my Amp is ok, hasnt let me down yet but its an area I need to look at. I try not to take country gigs due to the driving or staying overnight which eats into the next day.

I dont mind if the couple ask me to play the first dance, I cant work anywhere else that evening so its not a major problem and I usually have things I can do whilst the band are on. I also prefer to set up when the band are setting up, I can do a sound check and be sure that everything is ok.

Touch wood I have only ever had to cancel one wedding due to my child being taken into hospital the day before the event. I had a replacement in 20 minutes sorted out but it was one phone call I dreaded making. The Groom was very good about it though. My point is that weddings are a gig with more pressure than any other, and they can be the best laugh.

I completely agree. I also would play cheese if it makes people happy. Parties are good and you can have some great fun . Its not just about playing the most up to date music in the trendiest of places.

Bill, I do agree that you need a backup for your equipment when playing a wedding. A wedding is a special gig, you CANNOT make a cockup when it comes to them. Its the most important day for a bride and groom. I too bring backup sources to a wedding, CD players and Laptops.You do need them for a backup. Unfortunately I havent been able to buy backup P.A. If I'm in Dublin I'm ok in terms of replacements, if I'm down the country I'm hoping my Amp is ok, hasnt let me down yet but its an area I need to look at. I try not to take country gigs due to the driving or staying overnight which eats into the next day.

I dont mind if the couple ask me to play the first dance, I cant work anywhere else that evening so its not a major problem and I usually have things I can do whilst the band are on. I also prefer to set up when the band are setting up, I can do a sound check and be sure that everything is ok.

Touch wood I have only ever had to cancel one wedding due to my child being taken into hospital the day before the event. I had a replacement in 20 minutes sorted out but it was one phone call I dreaded making. The Groom was very good about it though. My point is that weddings are a gig with more pressure than any other, and they can be the best laugh.

Exactly, there is some many Dj's out there, you have to take it up a notch to make it worth while!

TBH i ain't doing it too long and cancelling is something I've never done nor want to. As for your gear, you've to make sure everything has a backup...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I have been in the DJ business for 20 years now and have used vinyl, cds and now MP3s. I last worked in the UK for a company who supplied all the equipment. I was living in a town where one of the local bars had a very small dancefloor, a few lights and a dj box. In it they had this company install a desktop pc with PCDJ. It had a removeable hard drive, which the boss dj would take back to the office every week and update the songs.

I went into the bar one night when they were doing karaoke and basically asked what they were using. I had used PCDJ before and downloaded it again to try it out. I then just fell into working for them on the side, if you know what I mean. The dj who was working for them paid me a cut of what he got. He also asked me to work in other places in the town when he couldn't cover them. Again they supplied the kit and I just turned up!

I came over to Ireland 2 years ago and brought all my MP3s and karaoke tunes on DVDs, (I couldn't bring my desktop, bit heavy!) I told my g/f what I did and she asked a very good friend of hers if he could get me a pc. She looked after his dad until he passed and they still keep in touch. They are not short of money and have thier own company. We asked if when he updated the pcs if he had one we could buy.

After about 3 months he called us to go visit them for dinner. He then produced a Dell Latitude C640, with brand new Dell bag, DVD drive and floppy drive. (does anyone actually use those now?!) He said it had been wiped so I would need an OS. Luckily I had brought my 'collection' over and had XP pro. I installed it and the rest is history!

I now have a nice new DJ laptop, amp, speakers, over 22,000 songs, 15,000 karaoke tunes, 3 radio mics, and lots of other things! When my g/f was working for another friend of hers in a care company, a guy from Q102 came in to do some advertising for them. She mentioned I was a DJ and he got me some work. I then became the 'resident' DJ in a bar in Skerries, and did a fair few birthdays.

I still am finding it hard to get gigs though, as I find most people go with the well known names, or prefer an Irish DJ. But I have only had 3 gigs not go smoothly, where people said I was not good. But they were guests and not the person who booked/paid me. I always say if the person who pays you is happy, then the rest is probably due to drink!

In the UK you have to have public liability insurance, VAT registration, give invoices, have a PPL, log every song, etc, etc, so think yourself lucky! (I do have all those, but never been asked for them)

Anyway waffle over, just my 2c! BTW I now use Virtual DJ!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Resurrecting an old one here. I am really interested to know what way pricing for Dj's varies around the country. I'm based in Carlow but i will travel anywhere in the country and have done. The standard price for any party i.e. 21st,18th etc in the Carlow, Kilkenny, Laois, Wexford, Wicklow and Kildare area which are the areas i work in most would be 250 to 300 yo yo's even if i use a house system or my own equipment. That price covers you from whenever you tell me to be there until i am told to stop. I never bothered with quoting to a particular time. For Weddings i charge 250 to 300 when i am playing after a band and 600 to 900 when there is no band and just the dj this can be sometimes half the cost of having a band. Same rules apply with the times i start and finish that apply to a party. Also, when playing after a band at any function i am ready to play my first song as soon as the band plays their last one this avoids a blank spot. For gigs around the rest of the country there is an extra charge of between 50 to 200 euro which i base on how far i have to travel. The extra charge is to cover extra fuel and accomodation expenses. Usually it is never more than 100 euro extra. There is also a 25% if you pay by cheque and i dont take deposits. I'm wondering if the prices i charge are too dear, to cheap or average for the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

super-rush wrote: »
    Resurrecting an old one here. I am really interested to know what way pricing for Dj's varies around the country. I'm based in Carlow but i will travel anywhere in the country and have done. The standard price for any party i.e. 21st,18th etc in the Carlow, Kilkenny, Laois, Wexford, Wicklow and Kildare area which are the areas i work in most would be 250 to 300 yo yo's even if i use a house system or my own equipment. That price covers you from whenever you tell me to be there until i am told to stop. I never bothered with quoting to a particular time. For Weddings i charge 250 to 300 when i am playing after a band and 600 to 900 when there is no band and just the dj this can be sometimes half the cost of having a band. Same rules apply with the times i start and finish that apply to a party. Also, when playing after a band at any function i am ready to play my first song as soon as the band plays their last one this avoids a blank spot. For gigs around the rest of the country there is an extra charge of between 50 to 200 euro which i base on how far i have to travel. The extra charge is to cover extra fuel and accomodation expenses. Usually it is never more than 100 euro extra. There is also a 25% if you pay by cheque and i dont take deposits. I'm wondering if the prices i charge are too dear, to cheap or average for the country.

sounds about right for parties in this area IMO. can i ask...do you do bars at all? i have an ulterior motive lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

lol.....yeah i do although not as much as i used to....

• Advertisement
Advertisement