Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed or Variable scope.

Options
  • 12-12-2007 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

Hi to all, getting good responces to my posts thanks.

I'm in the process of buying a CZ .223 and want to know if I should get a fixed or variable scope. I know its better to get bigest end lens possible ie. 40-50mm for a brighter view. But what about the tube size is 33mm better than 1"/25mm?
    I'm looking at either 6x42 fixed or 4-16 x50 variable. I will be hunting foxes by night/lamping and a bit during the daylight hours.
    The Millett and Burris range look good for the price. I'm NOT going to spend big money to start with on a scope. Any comments on the Millett scopes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Buy in the states and spend about 400 euro, it'll prevent you from buying twice and spend a few quid on good mounts as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Fixed scopes should be set to let in the most light your eye can use, such as 6x42, 7x50 and 8x56. My Nightforce is a 56mm objective lens therefore I have it set 95% of the time on 8x.

For foxing I'd like more magnification than 6x42 TBH. You could look for a second hand 8x56 Schmidt & Bender if you want a fixed one, the Hungarian assembled version (same parts just cheaper labour) will be cheaper than the German assembled one. Though the reticle may be too thick for longer range daytime shooting on crows and such.

30mm is the best tube size IMO, theory goes that it lets in more light, good availability of mounts for it as well.

For a 4-16x50 scope look up MTC Vipers, I have one and have foxed with it on a .223. Good for day and night use, marginal for low light such as dusk/dawn. Great reticle, thick enough for lamping and thin enough for day time well past 200 yards. The Viper will be in the region of Stg£200, usually plenty going second hand on the Airgun BBS They have a newer low light scope out now I think but I know very little about it.

A point that was made to me lately, and I had to admit it's true, is that if you buy in the USA and something goes wrong then you're talking $60+ to get it to the maker and back again in shipping costs.

Advertisement