Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attacked By a Begger, Saved By the Homeless!

Options
  • 12-12-2007 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

The other day in Temple Bar Court I took a quick stop to enjoy a sandwich. It was 11am and I'd just purchased a breakfast role, having been up since 5am that morning! Anyway this woman comes up to be while im struggling with my bag, wallet, change and food items and starts telling me I have to give her something. Not asking, she tells me I have to give her money, wishes me a Merry Christmas and calls me her friend while holding a baby and when I naturally refused (because I had €2 left for bus fare) she starts shouting at me that she just saw me put money into my wallet just there and I could give her that.

Being Temple Bar, no one is offering to lend assistance, most people trying to peer a glance and have a snigger but offering no real support. I start to move off because I can't even sit on the steps in Temple Bar Court now without being harrassed. I head for Eamonn Dorans and she continues to follow me, harrassing me, and actually shouting at me. Shes really not giving up. She starts backing me against a wall and continues shouting at me to give her my bus fare home, saying she needs the money and I have money.

Then, as if by magic, a homeless man appears. Carrying a sleeping bag and a can of Miller and knocks the woman down. He then starts shouting at her to stop bothering me, to piss off and go away, before telling her what a scumbag she is. He asks me if I'm alright, tells me its a disgrace and that they're a bunch of parasites, and then without asking for any kind of reward or even attempting to suggest one he wishes me a good day and goes walking on his merry way. The funniest thing was his closing statement

''Dublin's a disgrace mate, you can't even make a decent living begging anymore these days!''

I am totally in debt to some of our homeless community, I'll be completely honest, I dunno what I would have done if he hadn't of appeared.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

More suited to Dublin city

fire back if you think other wise - joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Quite a lot of the homeless people who hang around Temple Bar are sound. There are a few who will harass. They are usually agressive but will back down if you tell them to bog off. I work in a bookshop down there sometimes. There is one homeless guy who wanders in for a chat and a heat. I often give him a cup of tea. He is one of the most intelligent people I have ever met. He gives me the billy on the "dodgy vagrants"... his phrase.

Was the one who assailed you a dark-haired one in her thirties? Quiet well built? Sounds like her tactics.

at 4 am one morning walking down the quays with a mate, we stumbeled across some guy who had one too many in a night club. He was passed out on the ground. We were not the only ones there, there were a group of women checking to see if he was ok. Checking his pockets also. We told them to go away and picked the guy up. He sobered up after 15 mins and got the taxi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I was followed down the road by gypsy on Merrion square a few weeks ago. I just roared at the top of my lungs right in her face and that was the end of it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

AH WELL THERE YA GO, SALT OF THE EARTH SOME OF THEM, Although a bit windy not to have just told her to **** off out of your face in the first place I must say.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I was followed down the road by gypsy on Merrion square a few weeks ago. I just roared at the top of my lungs right in her face and that was the end of it. :D

see them bastards, a family of them around town.

I work in Baggot St and am fed up with them all around begging at different locations, all miserable, except of course when the smiles are shining when they meet to exchange stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

I'm not trying to turn this into a racist issue but c'mon don't ignore the elephant in the room. Was this beggar Irish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

''Dublin's a disgrace mate, you can't even make a decent living begging anymore these days!''

Ha!

Mind if I ask if your a man or woman?
    As she seemed very threatening. Most women beggars I've seen only bother other women.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Bet ya a pound to a pinch of pig**** the beggar was a roma gypsy.They've pioneered the art of agressive begging and using children as props.If i see them i usually go up with my hand outstretched saying "have you got some money for ME you bastards?",they allways give me a wide berth.This is all the fault of the governement for making begging legal and its going to get much worse.

Degsy wrote: »
    Bet ya a pound to a pinch of pig**** the beggar was a roma gypsy.They've pioneered the art of agressive begging and using children as props.If i see them i usually go up with my hand outstretched saying "have you got some money for ME you bastards?",they allways give me a wide berth.This is all the fault of the governement for making begging legal and its going to get much worse.

since when is begging legal?

• Advertisement

Jay D wrote: »
    since when is begging legal?

The last year or so i think.Why you think all those gypsies suddenly came over here?

Degsy, just a question,
    is that NEville Chamberlaine in your profile sig and if so,why?

Degsy, just a question,
    is that NEville Chamberlaine in your profile sig and if so,why?

Coz he returned from a meeting with Hitler waving a piece of paper promising "peace in our time",not long before his policy of appeasement ensured the outbreak of the second world war.A black joke if you like.

Coz he returned from a meeting with Hitler waving a piece of paper promising "peace in our time",not long before his policy of appeasement ensured the outbreak of the second world war.A black joke if you like.

Ha,yeah I'm aware of the history.

Just to make sure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I live in Dublin City centre and this tactic is nearly exclusively used by the Roma. You need to tell them to **** off quickly. Don't worry that you wouldn't normally behave in such a way, they'll be used to it considering the way they behave.

meglome wrote: »
    I live in Dublin City centre and this tactic is nearly exclusively used by the Roma. You need to tell them to **** off quickly. Don't worry that you wouldn't normally behave in such a way, they'll be used to it considering the way they behave.

Its the very least they expect,they're a throwback to medieval peasant beggars and have basicly remained the same ever since(except for the 3G phones).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Getting so annoyed with the increase of begging around the city lately. Can't stand the people standing in the middle of traffic walking up to the driver window with the paper coffee cup outstretched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭prod_igy

haha, that is so true. has anyone noticed the family of roma beggars up on parnell st. west. They walk down through the line of cars at the traffic lights, one on jervis st leading to parnell st, one on bolton st leading to parnell st and the other outside aldi on parnell st. They are like parasites and do be at each car window for about 5 seconds. I dont understand why these roma gypsies arent deported? The most annoying thing in dublin, after traffic, are these 'beggars'!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I couldn't belive it when I heard about them making begging legal last year, but because I couldn't figure out how on earth it could have been illegal in the first place. It is totally correct for begging to be legal, what are charity collectors doing if it's not begging on someone elses behalf? Not that it would actually be an issue to anyone if it was to happen to you but if you found youself living on the streets for some reason why should you then be also breaking the law becasue to ask someone for a bit of spare change.

I can understand the homeless guys reaction in the first post though as it will do him no good at all if his potential sources of income are all scared away by a couple of overly aggresive people in his patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

This sounds soooo terrible, but some very good friends of mine who are Romanian actually despise them because they said "people like them make it hard for Romanian people to go abroad to actually work, make some money & try make a better life for themselves & their families."

They view them as nothing more than thieves, charlatans etc & said back home the feelings about them is akin to how we used to view Itinterants back in the 70's & 80's, except they said "our knackers (cracked up when they used that phrase in a Romanian accent) were English blue blood civilised in comparison."

There seems to be very little love for the "Roma's" here from Romanians. let's face it. Everytime someone in this country thinks of a Romanian, they assume one of the "Roma's."

One of them is an ex Tank commander from the Romanian army, & told me he had one knock on his door begging, & when they realised he was romanian too, they scarpered. His final word on this left me :eek:

"The only thing they're good for is to test tanks on!"

:eek::eek::eek:

:::: ven0mous ::::

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

ven0m wrote: »
    There seems to be very little love for the "Roma's" here from Romanians. let's face it. Everytime someone in this country thinks of a Romanian, they assume one of the "Roma's."

Lots and lots of confusion there allright Venom, I wasn't going to join in this thread for the pure hatred people have of the Roma. Dubs don't seem to be as bad though, rural people seem to hate them with real malice.

They are a pain in the ass sometimes but I never seem to get major hassle off them, I am in town all the time. The are an ancient race and have been knocking around the East and Europe for years. I guess they just never settled! They were one of the very first along with homosexuals and special needs people to be targeted by the nazis.

lightening wrote: »
    The are an ancient race and have been knocking around the East and Europe for years. I guess they just never settled! They were one of the very first along with homosexuals and special needs people to be targeted by the nazis.

This is a mis-nomer. I've had Romanian buddies tell me these people are not maligned per se. Yhey "haven't settled" because this is THEIR CHOICE, and in general their attitude is very non-patriotic. Their origin isn't even from Romania. Their origins are closer to much further inside eastern europe.

They don't want to even contribute to Romanian society in any way, or be part of it. They want everything given to them & the reason they invariably leave Romania is economic or what they can get with as little effort or contribution. I've been out in large groups of Romanian & Eastern friends & whenever this topic comes up, the "Roma" are heavily criticised .... to be fair, its the equivalent of the lazy Irish bums who have a history of state-sponging & getting a job would be considering unpalettable to them .......

ven0m wrote: »
    Their origin isn't even from Romania. Their origins are closer to much further inside eastern europe.

I know, that is what I am saying! Romanians are sick of being mistaken for them...

They are annoying, but I really don't see the reason for the pure hatred some people have for them here.

They are annoying, but I really don't see the reason for the pure hatred some people have for them here.

Because they are the ONE singlely identifiable group who make NO effort to contribute to Irish socieity, or it's economy or the workforce in Ireland & do nothing but scrounge. Now, before I start getting flamed, (and yes Mods this topic has gone waaaaayyyy off course!) - i know other 'groups' are often pointed at for this & we have our own scroungers.

The point is - no matter what country they go to, they assume they have a right to scrounge, contribute nothing, engage in illegal activities & not a single one of them ever 'work'. If anyone knows one who works, I'll retract my statement - but they did the same back home in Romania for years. Not to mention they ritually squat in places.

I don't care where people come from. I don't care what their politics are. I don't care what color they are. I don't even care what their reasons are for coming to ireland. The bottom line for me is & this goes for Irish people too - if you're living in this state, unless there is an absolulte concrete & categorical reason why you can't work, you should BE working & contributing to the system financially, so that the truly weak in our society can be adequately taken care of.

What f**ks me off - is these bastards have more rights than Irish homeless people, or citizens (irish & non-Irish) paying into the kitty through their PAYE ......... tell me where the fairness is in that - and yes before anyone says anything, the fault here lies in our Government for prioritising things arseways ..........

If you're a non-national, simple thing is if you can't find a job, you should get f**k all ...... I lived in the UK for 2 years up to recently & I went over there first, the amount of pressure, checks, and everything else that was encumbered upon me to find a job (and believe me I tried solidly for 3 months) wasx incredible & yet nothing like that exists here. I had to PROVE I attended interviews, & had interviews with companies.

I had to prove I was actively seeking jobs. I had to attend the job centre at least every fortnight with every single bloody form filled out & even then for three months I got NO social welfare whatsoever because they said I had no credits, even though the agreement to transfer credits between Ireland & the UK has existed for 20 years & I had 14 years of credits in Ireland & 14 years of full time employment.

The reason so many people skip from the UK to here is because in the UK the system is deliberatly made hard. They know here is a soft touch. We all work f**kin hard for our money, we're penalised stupidly every time we even have to go buy bog-roll for god sake & this particular group of people have zero intention of contributing only taking & anytime they're called on it, the racism card gets thrown in so people back down ...... even when people of the SAME nationality as them call the spade a spade on it ........

/END_RANT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭prod_igy

venOm........you have said everything i was going to say and more, but didnt have the patience to write!!
    Dubs don't seem to be as bad though, rural people seem to hate them with real malice.

I live in the country and do be in college in dublin everday, so i see both sides of this. The reason rural people hate them so much is because the romas have moved into the country where there are no security men at shop doors to prevent them entering and fleecing the shop.

I work in a smallish shop at weekends in the country (yet still close enough to commute everyday to college) and one sunday 2 or 3 months back there was an article in sunday world about a shop in edenderry, which is only 15miles form where i work, that was fleeced by these romas. They basically walked into the shop and took what they wanted, and even went behind counter. There was too many of them for the shopkeeer to contend with so there was nothing he could do except call cops when they left by which time they were well gone.

Anyway, the very same day that i read this, our shop was fleeced that morning (before my shift........lukily for them:mad:) They took about 200 euros worth of tampons, nappies etc. and the pharmacy next door got the same done for them! They basically go around shoplifting in one town one day, and another town another day. Nowadays, if even one roma is spotted in our town by one of the businesses, they will notify all other businesses and they will simply not be allowed into the shops, pubs, restaurants, pharmacies etc......this isn't racism guys, this is using common sense and protecting our property!

And as for the romas in dublin, ive heard they are just as bad, just not as profitable as the ones in the country. Someone should just park a bus outside Dr. Quirkies and herd them all onto it and ship them back to where they came from. And not make us the taxpayer pay for the shipping cost, make them work on the ship to pay off the travel expenses, and if they don't want to work then throw them overboard:D It's likely tho that the ship will be empty when it reaches the next port!

prod_igy wrote: »
    The reason rural people hate them so much is because the romas have moved into the country where there are no security men at shop doors to prevent them entering and fleecing the shop.

Eh, in fairness, its only shops in the very city centres of Galway, Limerick, Dublin, Belfast...etc that have doormen. The rest of Dublin doesn't.

The last year or so i think.Why you think all those gypsies suddenly came over here?

unbelievable but of course I have seen them being moved on by police near the Dáil, Merrion sq, I wonder why that is :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Hawk Eye

Llllllllloooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllll

Advertisement