Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Idle speed

• 12-12-2007 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm having an unusual problem where, despite the engine being at normal running temperature, it will rev up and down for no particular reason. It doesn't happen all the time, and it doesn't rev extremely high. Normal idle is about 1200 rpm, it's currently revving up to a max of 2000 rpm, but usually drops back down after about 30 seconds (it also sometimes revs to, and holds for 30 seconds-ish, ~1500 or ~1800 rpm - it's always one of those three approximate levels). It might be coincidence, but it seems that blipping the throttle can cause it to settle back down to normal idle too. Again, though, this doesn't work every time (so it probably is coincidence). A friend mentioned that it might point to a problem with the automatic choke, but if anyone on here has more experience with this kind of thing, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,

G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

what bike? certainly sounds like it could be choke related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

Aprilia Capo Nord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Garibaldi wrote: »
    Aprilia Capo Nord.

Italian electrics so :D

nah, is it weather dependent? I mean, it is quite cold of late, and I wonder is there a higher moisture content in the air which is messing with the fuel burn cycle?

I noticed that on the SV, the choke on cold startup, is time based rather than temperature based. After 30 seconds it drops to normal idle (800rpm) and starts to cut out sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i had a problem like that on a 250 marauder causes by a small hole in the carb diaphram if thats any help (is the caponord fuel injected?)

nereid wrote: »
    Italian electrics so :D

That was my first thought....and it still is. :)

While it *could* possibly be weather dependent, as you say, I wouldn't rule out something more sinister. It's already had the ECU and 4 coils replaced. So, it *could* be another problem with the ECU (fingers crossed that it's not - the trouble I had getting that replaced was so above and beyond what should be required, it isn't funny).
    madrab wrote:
    is the caponord fuel injected?

Indeed it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Sounds like an electrical / ECU issue alright...

It was funny though. When you said "Aprilia" I thought to myself "there's your problem right there". lol

When you said "Aprilia" I thought to myself "there's your problem right there". lol

Hey!!! That's fightin' talk. :D

I think this one's just got some severe teething problems. It's my fourth Aprilia, and the only one that's given trouble.

Actually, I tell a lie. My first one *did* give some trouble, due to, of all things, the wire to the horn shorting on the frame. Still, that was pretty minor (once the problem was found).

It's my fourth Aprilia, and the only one that's given trouble.

To be fair, the Mille is a beauty, and I love the Tuono.

These have only been bumped down the list thanks to the 848.

Well, it seems it was nothing more serious than a badly adjusted throttle cable. Strange symptoms, but that's all the mechanics found, and the problem does, indeed, seem to have stopped. Italian bikes, eh. :rolleyes:

Well, it seems it was nothing more serious than a badly adjusted throttle cable. Strange symptoms, but that's all the mechanics found, and the problem does, indeed, seem to have stopped. Italian bikes, eh. :rolleyes:

you'd better be careful, since that was *not* an electrical problem, the mechanic has probably cut a wire somewhere to introduce one.

• Advertisement

You'd think they'd hibernate for the Winter, instead of creating problems to keep themselves busy. ;)

Advertisement