Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anybody receive

• 12-12-2007 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭

A smart telecom leaflet through the door yesterday in viewmount advertising there broadband, yet on the smart site it still says there broadband is not currently available in the waterford exchange

Just curious if anythings changed

Shin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

I got one of those leaflets myself. I would guess that Waterford has been enabled, that is why they are sending leaflets around. Website's often take a while to be updated. They would hardly pay for leaflets to be distributed if they did not have a service in the area to make the money back. You wouldn't happen to have NTL broadband and want to change it, would you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

nope dont have NTL, have eircom, just looking at other options atm as im having probs staying connected with my router, loses synch to the exchange quite often in the evenings, had eircom engineer out and he went to the exchange and said it was a capacity problem and there working on it

which basically means dont call us again :(

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I noticed that they asked a question like "is your broadband like the M50 @ rush hour?"

If they had had a little more regional focus, they would have asked whether it was like the Quay/Summerhill/FDC/Dunmore Road at rush hour...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

C'mon the M50 is a universally understood comparsion for all examples of slowness.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

Ive had Smart Bb for over a year ever since the Tycor exchange was opened up.
    The only problems I had with it were the awful customer service when trying to get connected to smart in the first place and also when Eircom pulled the plug on Smart customers for a few days.
    Another thing, Eircom will not allow you to keep you old phone number.
    But having gone through all that, I get 4Mb broadband ( usually measures 3.6 on speed tests ) for €40 per month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

shinzon wrote: »
    ..on the smart site it still says there broadband is not currently available in the waterford exchange..

I called Smart Telecom around two months ago when I was considering broadband options, and was told that the Waterford exchange is enabled* and that my potential speed would be 4Mbps.

* I'm assuming that by this she meant that Smart have LLU equipment in place in the Waterford exchange, though I really don't know enough about Ireland's LLU situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Waterford has more than just one exchange :). Most are live from what I understand though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

mike65 wrote: »
    C'mon the M50 is a universally understood comparsion for all examples of slowness.
    Not really. :) It is just an example of Little Dubliner thinking. Those people would die of shock if they had to navigate the Dunmore Road in rush hour.

Regards...jmcc

Parochical thinking cuts both ways ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Waterford has more than just one exchange :). Most are live from what I understand though.

Hmm.. Thinking back, perhaps she said "the Waterford main exchange" (?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

IYou wouldn't happen to have NTL broadband

I do. 7:40pm Saturday night.:D

212415342.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Tycor and Central have been unbundled by Smart for well over 6-12 months at this stage, this is hardly news :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    Tycor and Central have been unbundled by Smart for well over 6-12 months at this stage, this is hardly news :)

must give them a ring then if they cant be arsed updating there website, this is what i always get when checking my number

smart.jpg

unless its not available in the dunmore road area where the waterford exchange services, cant see that though tbh

shin

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

As said already, Waterford has more then one exchange. It doesnt specifiy which, but one of them is aready for Smart (iv checked on there website with a number from the city and it worked). If its saying no, id imagine that particular exchange isnt ready yet..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

shinzon wrote: »
    unless its not available in the dunmore road area where the waterford exchange services, cant see that though tbh

shin

Dunmore road runs off a different exchange to that of central or tycor,

Cabaal wrote: »
    Dunmore road runs off a different exchange to that of central or tycor,

Ah explains it then

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Tycor and Central are currently unbundled, the Dunmore Rd area exchange could be subject to a lot of difficulty though and it's horribly overloaded as a result of bad planning decisions at the turn of the century (not enough capacity for the amount of development going on with the result of many split lines), although Eircom certainly have made a great push to provide broadband to as many people as they can out that way!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Where ya getting your info, local politican? Thought that info was supposed to be kept secret?

Tycor and Central are currently unbundled, the Dunmore Rd area exchange could be subject to a lot of difficulty though and it's horribly overloaded as a result of bad planning decisions at the turn of the century (not enough capacity for the amount of development going on with the result of many split lines), although Eircom certainly have made a great push to provide broadband to as many people as they can out that way!

Where exactly is the dunmore road exchange, just wondering as i always thought i was serviced by the central exchange

Shin

Last I heard we had two exchanges Tycor and the Quay.

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Last I heard we had two exchanges Tycor and the Quay.

Mike.

I believe there's a smaller one for the Dunmore Road area, hence why it took awhile for these peoplo to get ADSL a few years back,

Right, it makes sense to have one, there must be 8000 people along that road and Williamstown road by now.

Mike.

Advertisement