Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What will you import before 01/07/2008?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

da7a wrote: »
    oops, shows how much attention I've been paying to the irish media... I thought it was motor tax they were changing...:o

No you were right. You don't have to pay VRT if you bring it home, but if you do so after 01/07/2008, you'd have to pay €2,000 in motor tax every year for your Legacy because it is in the worst band for CO2 output. Import it before that date and the road tax is only €588

I expect a lot of fast Japanese metal coming into the country. The difference in the tax / vrt regime is bigger for a Subaru 2l turbo (and similar) than for any other car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

No you were right. You don't have to pay VRT if you bring it home, but if you do so after 01/07/2008, you'd have to pay €2,000 in motor tax every year for your Legacy because it is in the worst band for CO2 output. Import it before that date and the road tax is only €588
    I'm probably missing something here as I was out of the country for budget week, but if you buy (not import) a car in Ireland in the worst CO2 band after 1/7/2008, that was registered in Ireland prior to that date, how much road tax will you pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

planning on importing a vw bus , ex army for under 1000.... if i get enough money , classic insurance , though petrol is a issue cuse of there 1.8l engines.

hope vrt isn't too heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

C_Breeze wrote: »
    I was actually seriosuly planing to import an RX8 231 from the UK in autumn/winter 08 ...

thats a good period to buy because usually its hard for the sellers to shift at that time of year so it leaves a lot of room for haggling.

... Unfortunately due to other financial commitments at present I cant afford to import it before July 08 (and prices are usually strong in summer)

Im very dissapointed as it will be a "No-Go Car" after july as the Tax will jump from 1800cc to €2,000/yr Co2 .. and i cant imagine that the Co2 VRT will be nice either

i'm VERY dissapointed :(:(

I wouldn't dismay if I were you. I considered buying one last March. There was a lovely black 04 231 one traded into a dealer by a company that I had my eye on. I could have gotten it for €24k, it was still under warranty. I searched at the time, and an equivalent one from UK in good condition with similar mileage would have cost around the same with VRT, not including the cost and hassle of getting one back. So you should get almost as good a deal if you haggle hard in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

I have my deposit on an Evo X.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

drdre wrote: »
    My friend has a 99 celica and he has been trying to sell it for the last 6 months with no luck.Whats the story with cleica's why dont they sell?

Mine sold in 3 weeks of me advertising it.

Gatster wrote: »
    I'm probably missing something here as I was out of the country for budget week

See the new sticky for all the details
    Gatster wrote: »
    if you buy (not import) a car in Ireland in the worst CO2 band after 1/7/2008, that was registered in Ireland prior to that date, how much road tax will you pay?

Cars registered in Ireland before 01/07/2008 will be taxed based on the old system of engine capacity (not based on CO2). The old rates will go up by 9% for engines under 2.5l and by 11% for engines over 2.5l per 01/02/2008

The highest amount of motor tax is for cars over 3l, and it goes up from €1,343 to €1,491

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

bucks wrote: »
    Yawn... where have i heard that before :D

jeese you get around...now quit giving out or ill but a twin cam...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

S.I.R wrote: »
    planning on importing a vw bus , ex army for under 1000.... if i get enough money , classic insurance , though petrol is a issue cuse of there 1.8l engines.

hope vrt isn't too heavy.

I hate to break it to ya pal but for classic insurance you need to be over 25 and have another car as a daily driver... I had wanted a classic to start driving as well, doesn't always work out that way though!

The only car that I have even half seriously looked into importing is a classic so i'm hoping that these new changes won't majorly affect me, certainly not going to rush out and import cars to take advantage of the delay in the changeover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

ill proberbly be bringing over another 3 cars before july
    Glanza for the brother
    Pajero Junior for the girlfriend
    And for me :confused: either a spotless AE86 or an R32, i wanted an S2000 but i doubt ill have enough money come D day :(

• Advertisement

An Irish reg S2000 might very well go up in value after 01/07/2008. You could call it an investment :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

Vikings wrote: »
    I hate to break it to ya pal but for classic insurance you need to be over 25 and have another car as a daily driver... I had wanted a classic to start driving as well, doesn't always work out that way though!

The only car that I have even half seriously looked into importing is a classic so i'm hoping that these new changes won't majorly affect me, certainly not going to rush out and import cars to take advantage of the delay in the changeover.

I have insured a classic car on a full policy with no other car. They just treat it as a normal car and charge you accordingly.

Advertisement