Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uefa Cup Draw

Options
  • 12-12-2007 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

There's a strong chance we will finish 2nd in the group, hence a nightmare draw against a champions league team.

A date for the diary - the draws for the Round of 32 and Round of 16 of the UEFA Cup will take place on Friday December 21.

The draws are alongside the draw for the knock-out stages of the Champions League in Nyon, Switzerland. The UEFA Cup draws are due to start at 1pm CET (noon, UK).

The Round of 32 will see UEFA Cup group winners taking on teams finishing third while teams finishing in second place in the groups will take on the eight teams coming down from the Champions League. Group winners and runners-up will play the second leg at home. Teams from the same association cannot be drawn against each other.

We will know our final position in the group following the last round of matches on December 19, when Getafe take on Anderlecht and Hapoel Tel Aviv face Aalborg.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Blue 84

So if I'm correct here (apologies if I'm not) the worst we can finish is second. Just looking at the teams dropping from the CL into the uefa cup, so far there's Marseille, Rosenborg, Werder Bremen, Benfica, Sporting Lisbon and Slavia Prague for definite, with the remainder confirmed tonight (think it's one each of Rangers/Lyon and Fenerbahce/PSV).

To be honest I don't rate any of these ahead of Bayern Munich, Villarreal or Atletico Madrid, all of whom are still in the uefa cup, and I feel that our final standing will be irrelevant regarding the calibre of opposition we'll get in the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Our group as it stands tonight:

Tottenham Hotspur P4 7pts
    Getafe C.F P3 6pts
    Anderlecht P3 5pts
    Hapoel Tel Aviv P3 3pts
    Aalborg BK P3 1pt

Worst we can finish is 2nd, but a draw between Getafe and Anderlecht would see us finish 1st on goal difference.

1st place gets a 3rd place team.
    2nd place gets a CL side.

Marseiles, Rosenborg, Bremen, Benfica, Sporting, Slavia Prague and either Rangers/Lyon or Fenerbache/PSV will be the prospective opposition for us if we finish 2nd. IMO, Rangers and PSV are most likely to finish 3rd in their CL groups.

Of those my clear preference would be for Prague, followed by Rosenborg and the two Portugese teams (friendliest welcome we'd get)

Marseiles and PSV would be very interesting crowd-wise, and Rangers might not be the friendliest place to visit from this side of the water...:D

As for the Uefa Cup 3rd place sides?

Group A - St. Petersburg/AZ/Nurnberg
    Group B - Aberdeen/Copenhagen
    Group C - Villareal/Fiorentina/AEK/FK Mlada Boleslav
    Group D - SK Brann/Dinamo Zagreb (more likely Brann unless Zagreb beat Rennes by 2 goals)
    Group E - Spartak/Zurich/Leverkusen
    Group F - Bolton/Aris Thessaloniki FC/Bayern/Braga
    Group H - Panionios NFC/Galatasaray (Panionios would have to beat Bordeaux by 6 goals to push Helsingborgs down into 3rd)

Simple really...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

wouldnt mind getting rangers to be honest but would prefer slavia prague if we finish 2nd in the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I'd love to get those rangers cnuts and make a mockery of them.
    Truth is they'd probabaly beat us over 2 legs.

dont think they would they are a poor team in all fairness,we would teach them a footballing lesson,remember it will be late feb before these games are played at that stage spurs will be much improved i hope!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Getafe finish top of the group after a 2-1 win at home to Anderlecht, we slip to 2nd.

We'll get one of the following:

Marseiles
    Rosenborg
    Bremen
    Benfica
    Sporting
    Slavia Prague
    Rangers
    PSV

could be tricky now the obvious choices would be slavia or rangers

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Don't care who we get. Football against one fo the perceived stronger teams in Europe is what its all about.
    i think we can take anyone on our day.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

I'd fancy us against any of those 8 teams - none of them are top European teams today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

galinka wrote: »
    I'd fancy us against any of those 8 teams - none of them are top European teams today.
    I would fancy us against any of them over two matches - Knockout away to Marseiles,Rosenborg,Bremen,Benfica,Sporting would be very tough - might fancy a go with Slavia Prague, Rangers or PSV away. Would fancy our chances at home to most of them though! But if I am honest, I would have preferred one of these sides, no doubt!!:)

St. Petersburg/AZ/Nurnberg
    Group B - Aberdeen/Copenhagen
    Group C - Villareal/Fiorentina/AEK/FK Mlada Boleslav
    Group D - SK Brann/Dinamo Zagreb (more likely Brann unless Zagreb beat Rennes by 2 goals)
    Group E - Spartak/Zurich/Leverkusen
    Group F - Bolton/Aris Thessaloniki FC/Bayern/Braga
    Group H - Panionios NFC/Galatasaray

• Advertisement
Advertisement