Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SUV Scum

Options
  • 12-12-2007 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

I was told today that someone was on the Gerry Ryan show saying that their car had been attacked and "SUV scum" had been scratched into the bonnet of her car.

What kind of mindless misguided fuc*ing scum would do this ?

I blame the Green Party and their propaganda for this type of behavior.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I was told today that someone was on the Gerry Ryan show saying that their car had been attacked and "SUV scum" had been scratched into the bonnet of her car.

Bloody hell,

The gross misinformation with regard to SUV's in this country is nothing short of unbelievable. The level of ignorance is laughable, and this goes all the way to government level.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

prospect wrote: »
    The level of ignorance is laughable, and this goes all the way to government level.

So true.

Their ignorance is a little badge of honour and the goernment have totally taken advantage of this. I hope the little hippy scrot needs some cancer care real soon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

cantdecide wrote: »
    I hope the little hippy scrot needs some cancer care real soon.

Measured response, well put! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

I find that very hard to believe. However, if it is true ...for some reason i can imagine a bored irish houswife with too much americana in her head from watchin too much daytime TV as being the culprit :rolleyes:

... since when do we use the term SUV as opposed to Jeep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

The woman who rang in was driving an XC90 by the way. Diesel Auto I think she said. She said she had no choice as she has 4 kids. Its spits out 239 grams per km. Gerry also said it was a green car cos its a modern diesel Volvo. I sent a mail to the Gerry Ryan show listing these alternatives...

Ford S-Max 1.8 TDCi, is 164g/km and can carry 7 people

Other 7 seaters include

Ford Galaxy 1.8 TDCi, 166g/km
    Volkswagen Sharan 1.9 TDi, 172g/km
    Mitsubishi Grandis 2.0 DI-D, 176g/km
    Citroen C8 2.0 HDi, 182g/km
    Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi, 182g/km

There is no need to buy a 4 wheel drive car for bringing kids to school. I do not support vandalism by the way and I hope who ever did it goes to prison for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I think it was more to do with him driving like an asshole in an SUV which is a stereotype rather than the Co2 emissions

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ice_Box wrote: »
    The woman who rang in was driving an XC90 by the way. Diesel Auto I think she said. She said she had no choice as she has 4 kids. Its spits out 239 grams per km. Gerry also said it was a green car cos its a modern diesel Volvo. I sent a mail to the Gerry Ryan show listing these alternatives...

Ford S-Max 1.8 TDCi, is 164g/km and can carry 7 people

Other 7 seaters include

Ford Galaxy 1.8 TDCi, 166g/km
    Volkswagen Sharan 1.9 TDi, 172g/km
    Mitsubishi Grandis 2.0 DI-D, 176g/km
    Citroen C8 2.0 HDi, 182g/km
    Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi, 182g/km

There is no need to buy a 4 wheel drive car for bringing kids to school. I do not support vandalism by the way and I hope who ever did it goes to prison for a long time.

A grand Scenic 1.5 diesel emits 138 g/km (accordign to Renault or 144 ish according to other sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Freelander 2 2.2 td4 is 194g/km and 4 wheel drive as another alternative.

It is all getting a little silly, turning on one nuclear plant would be the best way to cut carbon emissions in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

I've also heard SUV drivers try to justify it by saying they are safer, as in if you have an accident you're less likely to get hurt.....showing total disregard for any poor bastard who is hit by an SUV. In what way is anti-SUV sentiment showing ignorance? They're polluters and dangerous to other non SUV drivers. btw, how often do you see 4 kids sitting in the back of an SUV? Have a look out on the road today I'd hazzard a guess of zero.

astrofool wrote: »
    Freelander 2 2.2 td4 is 194g/km and 4 wheel drive as another alternative.

It is all getting a little silly, turning on one nuclear plant would be the best way to cut carbon emissions in this country.

But it's not really about CO2 emmisions, it's about revenue.

• Advertisement

Gegerty wrote: »
    I've also heard SUV drivers try to justify it by saying they are safer, as in if you have an accident you're less likely to get hurt.....showing total disregard for any poor bastard who is hit by an SUV. In what way is anti-SUV sentiment showing ignorance? They're polluters, dangerous to other non SUV drivers and are totally unsuited for narrow, bendy Irish roads. btw, how often do you see 4 kids sitting in the back of an SUV? Have a look out on the road today I'd hazzard a guess of zero.

I agree here but they aren't as bad for the greater good as some would have you believe therefore the irrational justifications by the owners aren't important really. In other words, if you want one, buy one and don't be made feel guilty and defensive about it.

cantdecide wrote: »
    But it's not really about CO2 emmisions, it's about revenue.

LOL now who's being ignorant! How is a CO2 emmission based tax system not about CO2 emmissions? If you don't like what you're paying then don't buy an SUV, thats what its about....there's no conspiracy here. But in a way you are right about it being about revenue, because if we don't lower our CO2 emissions as agreed in the Kyoto agreement we'll be paying a heavy price in fines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

I hate SUVs and I think that people who drive them are scum. I would stop short of agreeing with the vandalism but i think SUV owners need to realise how much they are hated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

its nothing do to with the enviroment
    most suv drivers are ignorant , selfish, muppets tbh. most are women too lol
    you cycle a bike and you will see their attitude, its disgraceful, obviously there are some exceptions but, the majority ive encountered in a car or on a bike are nothing short of a disgrace.
    I bet the woman(or man) who owned this suv nearly maimed sombody, or was a ignorant pratt to sombody.
    but to vandalise the car is a bit much tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Gegerty wrote: »
    I've also heard SUV drivers try to justify it by saying they are safer, as in if you have an accident you're less likely to get hurt.....showing total disregard for any poor bastard who is hit by an SUV. In what way is anti-SUV sentiment showing ignorance? They're polluters and dangerous to other non SUV drivers. btw, how often do you see 4 kids sitting in the back of an SUV? Have a look out on the road today I'd hazzard a guess of zero.

Gegerty, Let me take a wild stab and guess that you're not a family man? Am i right?

I have a family and when my wife was looking at the Cmax i steered her away and got her a Santa Fe. For one reason and one reason only - MY family is safer in it! They take the priority, after i have made sure they are safe then i can start caring about others. What type of person would go out and put another persons safety before the lives of their 3 children??

Also, I even heard it wasn't eco friendly by having more than 2 kids ---- where does this stop???? maybe we should have taxes on children now as well, and smokers ...... any more ideas?

*Rant off*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Triangle wrote: »
    I have a family and when my wife was looking at the Cmax i steered her away and got her a Santa Fe. For one reason and one reason only - MY family is safer in it! They take the priority, after i have made sure they are safe then i can start caring about others. What type of person would go out and put another persons safety before the lives of their 3 children??

Don't you think its possible that your obvious disregard for the safety of other road users will lead you or your wife driving without as much care as you would otherwise? Since when is the attitude that "if I'm inside a huge sturdy metal box me and mine will be fine, so screw other road users" a sensible approach to road safety? Your attitude shocks me.

P.S. the Santa Fe only has a 3 star rating for child occupants (a lower rating than the Cmax) and zero stars for pedestrians: http://www.euroncap.com/tests/hyundai_santa_fe_2006/273.aspx :mad:

All I'm saying is there's no need to be afraid of the boogeyman. I don't particularly like SUVs, I wouldn't buy one in a fit but I know for a fact that comparing V8s and Ford F500s in the states to the 6 cylinder TDs that we have here is a no contest situation, especially if it's doing LESS MILEAGE .

High tax for CO2 reasons is a red herring, it may as well have been chewing gum related VRT or VRT on how many windows the car has. Extortionate tax is extortionate tax, no matter what the means or justifications. They have been here all along and now it's getting even more unjustifiable.

We do not have high carbon emmisions as a result of bad motoring practises (in the greater scheme of things) so why should we be punished for causing a problem that doesn't exist???

PS: Prioritising and disregarding others safety are different things entirely. Santa fe has a 2.0td engine, not exactly a GL55AMG

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i drive an "SUV" as per my signiture, and i bought it during the year for myself, i have no kids, just a girlfriend (we live together).

i knew the stigmata etc etc associated to the SUV, but i bought it because i loved them since the first came out and always wanted one. i was in a position to buy one this year at great money and done it.

i know it emits alot of CO2, think its 315g per km or somting but considering i only drive about 6000 miles per year its not as bad as some of the smaller cars doing 20000 miles per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

cornbb wrote: »
    P.S. the Santa Fe only has a 3 star rating for child occupants and zero stars for pedestrians: http://www.euroncap.com/tests/hyundai_santa_fe_2006/273.aspx :mad:

Ford Focus C-MAX - Occupant -4 stars, Children -4 stars, Pedestrian -2 stars.

I'd do your research a bit better next time Triangle, might make you a better "family man", great attitude by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Kona wrote:
    most suv drivers are ignorant , selfish, muppets tbh. most are women too lol

Ignorant seems to be the case here alright:
    http://www.euroncap.com/tests/hyundai_santa_fe_2006/273.aspx
    http://www.euroncap.com/tests/ford_focus_c_max_2003/178.aspx

c-max, although older in design- is actually safer than Santa Fe, and in particular considerably safer in child protection which seems to be your main priority.

Problem is people think if they sit higher and in a bigger car they are safer... that's ignorance, there's alot more to safety than that. You are not safer in a Santa Fe, and you make the road unsafe for other (sensible) road users too. Everybody lose. Which kind of proves the other point from the previous poster:
    Kona wrote:
    most suv drivers are ignorant, selfish, muppets tbh. most are women too lol

• Advertisement

Gegerty, Let me take a wild stab and guess that you're not a family man? Am i right?

Also, I even heard it wasn't eco friendly by having more than 2 kids ---- where does this stop???? maybe we should have taxes on children now as well, and smokers ...... any more ideas?

*Rant off*

Why are your kids not safe unless they're in an SUV? There are loads of safe cars out there. Could the reason possbily be to protect them from all the wreckless SUV drivers? You're overcompensating at the expense of other peoples safety. Other peoples children. How about I go out and buy a tank to protect me against all the SUV's? To hell with your children so long as I'm safe I don't care if they get mushed. I can go around driving like a lunatic too cause I'd be invincible!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

kceire wrote: »
    i knew the stigmata etc etc associated to the SUV,

Surely the best reason ever to get a SUV ...they make you seem like Jesus :D
    stigmata, marks resembling the wounds of the crucified body of Christ, said to be supernaturally impressed on the bodies of certain persons, esp. nuns, tertiaries, and monastics.

SCNR :o

- MY family is safer in it! They take the priority, after i have made sure they are safe then i can start caring about others.

what happens when you are plastered to the ground by one walking across the road? Is that now your personal safety first. Also SUV are not safer, that is a myth like your excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

SUV scum, eh? I have to say, it's got a ring to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I think SUV's are comfy.

But they handle like a boat, make no sense to have in the urban jungle and are a bi*ch to park.

On top of that they drink diesel like mad.

I've no problem with seeing a dirty SUV with a hitch on it.

I've a big problem with seeing a highly polished and valeted X5 with some soccer mom behind the wheel bringing little jimmy a kilometer up the road to school in rush hour traffic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

people dont like SUV's because they are jealous begrudging bast*rds - its as simple as that, and thats why a campaign against them will work in Ireland.

Anyone who wants to should be allowed drive any legal car they like - its not up to you or anyone else to tell them they shouldn't unless they are outlawed

as for people saying their drivers are ignorant, selfish, or muppets - I could say the exact same of any car type driver - this is bullsh!t

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

people dont like SUV's because they are jealous begrudging bast*rds - its as simple as that
    Dream on...;)

its not up to you or anyone else to tell them they shouldn't unless they are outlawed

All in due time. It starts with public condemnation backed up by government policy.

SUV people are assh*le - hence all the b*llsh1t excuses.

I buy one for my family because I want to keep them safe?
    I need it to carry my gym gear?
    I am pregnant with my first child so I had to get one?
    I carry around computer equipment. (a laptop and a few cables)?

Then when the ones above are not working we get

I have the money so butt out!
    you would buy one if you could afford it!
    your jealous!
    I refuse to give into tree huggers!

The final excuse will eventually come
    I need one to care around my big over inflated f*t arsed ego.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

people dont like SUV's because they are jealous begrudging bast*rds - its as simple as that, and thats why a campaign against them will work in Ireland.

Wrong. I could afford an SUV around the same year for the same price as my car (Saab 93) but would never buy one as long as I'm living in an urban area because, yes, I'm not an ignorant selfish muppet :)
    Anyone who wants to should be allowed drive any legal car they like - its not up to you or anyone else to tell them they shouldn't unless they are outlawed

True. They are legally entitled to it, but that doen't make them less ignorant, as proven by the case I highlighted above!
    as for people saying their drivers are ignorant, selfish, or muppets - I could say the exact same of any car type driver - this is bullsh!t
    Yes you can, but people will laugh at you because you won't make sense, it's not comparable!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement