Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SUV Scum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

astraboy wrote: »
    potter off in yout corolla now.

i dont drive a corolla, so maybe when you can control your anger focus it on the correct poster
    , and leave the rest of us that wish to drive a nice car.

Yes please do ' a car ' not a tank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

dodgyme wrote: »
    People in urban areas who drive unnecessary SUV tanks are as scummy to me as the hoodies hanging around corners.

Nice attitude :rolleyes:, bet you dont stop to inform your local scummers of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

i dont drive a corolla, so maybe when you can control your anger focus it on the correct poster

Yes please do ' a car ' not a tank

A hundai Santa Fe is a tank now? Surely I must inform all the people I know driving these, as driving a vehicle on tracks loaded with depleated uranium rounds is highly dangerous. Of course an SUV is just a car on stilts in many cases, you really must have little else to worry about if all you do is complain about what others drive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

What ye might all be too blind to see, is that ireland is probably one of the most car/suv unfriendly places on the planet, and that it appears that our government won't be happy until we are all driving 1ltr pieces of rubbish.

Bickering about suvs only increases the liklihood of nobody on these forums ever driving an interesting car.

Where I am now, the new Nissan GTR costs 45,000 euro!

In ireland....best of luck to you.

When you have drug dealers involved in the exotic car market due to the high taxes, there comes a point that maybe the taxes are too high.

If everyone is trying to get around a tax, perhaps the tax needs to be reevaluated

SUV's now, then performance cars, the petrol cars etc etc.

Perhaps since many of the people here seem to get their car knowledge from occasional episodes of top gear, maybe if jeremy does a 4 wheel drift in an X5 it will keep some of the plebs happy.

Bitter, bitter.....

And to anyone driving a corolla - I can see why ye're bitter - I drove one yesterday, and given a choice between it and AIDS, I'd have to have a long think about it.

Have ye any self respect at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

A hundai Santa Fe is a tank now? Surely I must inform all the people I know driving these, as driving a vehicle on tracks loaded with depleated uranium rounds is highly dangerous. Of course an SUV is just a car on stilts in many cases, you really must have little else to worry about if all you do is complain about what others drive!

Well it doesnt matter anyway because their going to take the Jeeps/SUV's or whatever out of the Car category and tax them heavily .. so it won't matter what you say.

• Advertisement

craichoe wrote: »
    Well it doesnt matter anyway because their going to take the Jeeps/SUV's or whatever out of the Car category and tax them heavily .. so it won't matter what you say.

How? Like I said, you can't define an SUV on engine size, shape, height, length or weight, not to mind CO2 emissions or MPG! SUV is a marketing term. You try to define an 'SUV' in law and you'll no doubt be describing a various selection of cars and vans too. Fine, tax heavy vehicles more, but how much more does a RAV4 weigh then a toyota corolla?

A.
    Read my post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54647549&postcount=260

B.
    It's already happened here in Holland.
    They just don't want them around the Big Cities, simple as.

A.
    Read my post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54647549&postcount=260

B.
    It's already happened here in Holland.
    They just don't want them around the Big Cities, simple as.

I think we need to stop since atraboy can write but not read. He was taught the 2R's and not the 3R's in his school and poor old 'prospect' cant figure how anyone would ahve anything against these beautiful soft fluffy toys that are SUV's

No need to be a clown Dogme. I read the post and I'm responding:

Fair enough the larger jeeps can be a nusiance in the city. If the driver is competent then whats the problem? You seem to have an issue with peoples choice to drive what they like as long as it effects no one else.

As for SUV's being 'Dangerous' they often have as high NCAP ratings as cars, so should we call everyone in a car scum too?

In fact, the SUV haters should not even be on here, this is a motor forum, for people that actually LIKE or wish to find out about cars etc, not a soapbox for some jumped up smallminded people with serious issues.

I'll tell ye what, ye worry about everyone else and what they drive, I'll make sure I look after myself and those around me.

Of course an SUV is just a car on stilts in many cases, !

why do we need to have cars on stilts - QED?

• Advertisement

why do we need to have cars on stilts - QED?

Its a free country, people can buy a car on stilts if they like! Granted they don't handle as well and cost more, but who am I to say people can't be blinded by marketing. Leave people off if they want to drive these. In fairness, does it really bother you that much? I can care less if someone sits 2 feet above me in their Nissan Quaschagi or whatever it is, I'm grand and happy in my alfa 156.

My main point is live and let live, if people wish to drive these that is their choice and their choice alone.

responding:
    Fair enough the larger jeeps can be a nusiance in the city. If the driver is competent then whats the problem? You seem to have an issue with peoples choice to drive what they like as long as it effects no one else.

Drivers competence is irrelevant to the fact that they are a nuisance in the city. How can a driver competence have anything to do with that.

and as for effecting no one else - well it does. If you agree it is a nuisance around the city it is a nuisance , that effects other people. Why is it you people cant get that.?

Drivers competence is irrelevant to the fact that they are a nuisance in the city. How can a driver competence have anything to do with that.

and as for effecting no one else - well it does. If you agree it is a nuisance around the city it is a nuisance , that effects other people. Why is it you people cant get that.?

My point is something the size of a range rover or Jeep commander is a nusance at times in the city. But a competent driver will cause little or no obstruction. On the other hand, a RAV4 is a far smaller car yet still classed as an SUV, you are not distingushing between the two. An incompetent driver in an SUV or a smart car will be a nusance, you are only focusing on the SUVs as they are more noticable. In fact, in my experience in cork I've seen more hold ups from people in yaris's and fiestas then builders in land cruisers.

. An incompetent driver in an SUV or a smart car will be a nusance,.

no you are not distinguishing between the two.
    an incompetent driver in a small car is going to be a hell of a lot less of a nuisance then one in an SUV. Hence the size issue. You need to live in Paris or italy or somewhere where, where city space is even tighter then ireland. No one drives SUV's (pretty much) why ? coz the are unnecessary and not befitting a city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Mordeth wrote: »
    some people will get their knickers in a twist over just about anything :)

suv-scum, isn't it great to be rich and with so few cares in the world that you actually have time to get pissed off about this?

Back in my day you would be lucky to get a SPUD let alone an SUV.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

My POV is that I think they are ugly fuel-guzzling things and I would never buy one (and I have 3 kids). However if someone else does it doesn't bother me - let them spend their money and pay my carbon taxes. I think scrapping motor tax and replacing it with a fuel tax is the way to go, with maybe the equivalent of green diesel for business use to keep the economy somewhat competitive.

My point is something the size of a range rover or Jeep commander is a nusance at times in the city. But a competent driver will cause little or no obstruction. On the other hand, a RAV4 is a far smaller car yet still classed as an SUV, you are not distingushing between the two. An incompetent driver in an SUV or a smart car will be a nusance, you are only focusing on the SUVs as they are more noticable. In fact, in my experience in cork I've seen more hold ups from people in yaris's and fiestas then builders in land cruisers.

From my experience in Cork City the some of the roads are barely wide enough for a small car. Douglas Street and Barracks Street being prime examples.

From my experience in Cork City the some of the roads are barely wide enough for a small car. Douglas Street and Barracks Street being prime examples.

Thats true, but at least a 4x4 can go up on the kerb! :D Seriously though, obstruction can be caused by a range rover or a mini, blame the driver not the car. Anyway, the moajority of SUV's down my way are used as work horses, there is life outside Dublin in Ireland you know.

Thats true, but at least a 4x4 can go up on the kerb! :D Seriously though, obstruction can be caused by a range rover or a mini, blame the driver not the car. Anyway, the moajority of SUV's down my way are used as work horses, there is life outside Dublin in Ireland you know.

ah ya you are completely right - an obstruction caused by a cyclist or an artic truck, same thing , blame the driver............................yawn yawn

I'm from Cork you langer :p

• Advertisement

ah ya you are completely right - an obstruction caused by a cyclist or an artic truck, same thing , blame the driver............................yawn yawn

Ya thats exactly what I said.:rolleyes: I'm basically saying a santa fe does not cause more of an obstruction then a hundai lantra. Your so polarised you cannot see this. To be honest you are fighting alonely battle, most people disagree with you. Go troll somewhere else.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

cancan wrote: »
    ...And to anyone driving a corolla - I can see why ye're bitter - I drove one yesterday, and given a choice between it and AIDS, I'd have to have a long think about it.

Post of the year?

Ya thats exactly what I said.:rolleyes: I'm basically saying a santa fe does not cause more of an obstruction then a hundai lantra. Your so polarised you cannot see this. To be honest you are fighting alonely battle, most people disagree with you. Go troll somewhere else.

no I tried to explain but you cant get it. ?doh

no I tried to explain but you cant get it. ?doh

Wrong, you did not explain it. Unless making rash generalisations about a certain group of people that, frankly, could not give a damn what you drive or what you think of them, counts as explination. So other then the inappropiate use of SUV's in south county Dublin, why should every other user of SUV's around the country be punished? I'm really sure the farmers from west cork will appreciate you taxing them out of their 4 wheel drive pickups that they need. Also, these crew cabs pickups double as family transport, allowing the farmer to drop his kids to school, then go off up a field to do some work. But I suppose you would perfer him to go away and buy a car as well to drop the kids to school, God forbid he offend your sensibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I was told today that someone was on the Gerry Ryan show saying that their car had been attacked and "SUV scum" had been scratched into the bonnet of her car.

What kind of mindless misguided fuc*ing scum would do this ?

I blame the Green Party and their propaganda for this type of behavior.

At least she didn't advocate nuclear power ;)
    Gegerty wrote:
    LOL now who's being ignorant! How is a CO2 emmission based tax system not about CO2 emmissions? If you don't like what you're paying then don't buy an SUV, thats what its about....there's no conspiracy here. But in a way you are right about it being about revenue, because if we don't lower our CO2 emissions as agreed in the Kyoto agreement we'll be paying a heavy price in fines.

If they were serious about emissions, they'd put a tax on petrol and plough money into public transport. A Yaris being taken out every time the owner needs to travel 500 metres for a litre of milk will do more damage than a larger car driven only at the weekend. The sheer amount of private car traffic on the roads is doing far more damage to both road safety and the environment than having a few 2.0L engines driving around. But the fix for that isn't as easy or as profitable as hiking up the tax on ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Triangle wrote: »
    Gegerty, Let me take a wild stab and guess that you're not a family man? Am i right?

I have a family and when my wife was looking at the Cmax i steered her away and got her a Santa Fe. For one reason and one reason only - MY family is safer in it! They take the priority, after i have made sure they are safe then i can start caring about others. What type of person would go out and put another persons safety before the lives of their 3 children??

Also, I even heard it wasn't eco friendly by having more than 2 kids ---- where does this stop???? maybe we should have taxes on children now as well, and smokers ...... any more ideas?

*Rant off*

if we are to get suv's off the road in city's,which they should be ,you are the person to target my friend.It is a case here of trying to keep up with the jones's.the people who are destroying the environment are the people buying cheap versions of luxury suv' like the tourag or the range.the government should hike up the tax price in citys to such an extent that only people very well off who choose to drive range rover's etc can afford the tax,this simple solution stops people trying to impress friends with a big suv and wrecking the environment,whats the point in buying a hyundai jeep,its not to keep your family safe,its so your wife looks good going into the schoolyard.in her cheap suv.

In rural ireland they are fine,they are needed,in the city they are a snobbery tool and nothing else

*rant over* lol

Wrong, you did not explain it. Unless making rash generalisations about a certain group of people that, frankly, could not give a damn what you drive or what you think of them, counts as explination. So other then the inappropiate use of SUV's in south county Dublin, why should every other user of SUV's around the country be punished? I'm really sure the farmers from west cork will appreciate you taxing them out of their 4 wheel drive pickups that they need. Also, these crew cabs pickups double as family transport, allowing the farmer to drop his kids to school, then go off up a field to do some work. But I suppose you would perfer him to go away and buy a car as well to drop the kids to school, God forbid he offend your sensibilities.

Great you are now respresenting the farmers. As other posts have pointed out the anti SUV lobby in this forum at least do not have a problem where there is a proven necessity. You really need to read ... I said READ the other posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I see that Hummer have brought out RHD versions of their H2's and H3's. Can't wait until I can afford to buy one. Unless something bigger comes out in the meantime!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

No I would be better off if assho*es in SUV's werent hoggin the road.

What about all the scumbag VW Passat estate drivers who are taking up 100mm more road space than Hyundai Santa Fe :rolleyes:

Hyundai Santa Fe
    Length 4675mm

VW Passat Estate
    Length 4774mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I see that Hummer have brought out RHD versions of their H2's and H3's. Can't wait until I can afford to buy one. Unless something bigger comes out in the meantime!!! :p

When I lived abroad I owned one of these,

http://www.pickuptruckreview.com/includes/images/Ford_F150/FordF150Supercrew.jpg

Best car/truck I ever owned, I used to drive over SUV scum :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement