Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SUV Scum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

DonJose wrote: »
    What about all the scumbag VW Passat estate drivers who are taking up 100mm more road space than Hyundai Santa Fe :rolleyes:

Hyundai Santa Fe
    Length 4675mm

VW Passat Estate
    Length 4774mm

yes that makes sence,if the length of a car blocked up the road,thats honestly one of the stupidest things ive ever read,thanks for the laugh.its width you should be looking at mate!not length

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

dodgyme wrote: »
    Great you are now respresenting the farmers. As other posts have pointed out the anti SUV lobby in this forum at least do not have a problem where there is a proven necessity. You really need to read ... I said READ the other posts.

I did READ the posts, take some of your own advice. In fairness, you spout drivel about SUV's. Read the post above you clown, a passat is longer then a Hyundai santa fe. So maybe ban them too? Are you really that bothered by what other people drive? If you are you are very very sad. I have made my points, I think they have been measured and balanced. Yours are based on a simple dislike of SUV's and you will use any scrap of evidence to back this up. Would you really be happier if all these people drive cars instead? How does it effect you? In reality it does not, your percieved annoyances about SUVs are just that, percieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

dc69 wrote: »
    this simple solution stops people trying to impress friends with a big suv and wrecking the environment

What about all the 1990 junkers driving around, I'm sure they are spitting out a lot more Co2 than modern SUV's.

What about all the 1990 junkers driving around, I'm sure they are spitting out a lot more Co2 than modern SUV's.

very true,point taken.but probably half thr amount of emisions and petrol or diesel consumption comapred to the cheapass santa fe,but i do take you r point,maybe an emisions test every 2 years for cars over 8 years old,like in japan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

astraboy wrote: »
    I did READ the posts, take some of your own advice. In fairness, you spout drivel about SUV's. Read the post above you clown, a passat is longer then a Hyundai santa fe. So maybe ban them too? Are you really that bothered by what other people drive? If you are you are very very sad. I have made my points, I think they have been measured and balanced. Yours are based on a simple dislike of SUV's and you will use any scrap of evidence to back this up. Would you really be happier if all these people drive cars instead? How does it effect you? In reality it does not, your percieved annoyances about SUVs are just that, percieved.

no one mentioned the length of vehicles? But I am the clown even though you are juggling the same muck for the last day without the penny dropping. Monkeys would pick it up quicker

• Advertisement

yes that makes sence,if the length of a car blocked up the road,thats honestly one of the stupidest things ive ever read,thanks for the laugh.its width you should be looking at mate!not length

The Hyundai is a 7 seater and is 70mm wider than the VW Passat, how would the lenght of your dick hog up the road ;)

Hyundai Santa Fe
    Width 1890mm

VW Passat Estate
    Width 1820mm

no one mentioned the length of vehicles? But I am the clown even though you are juggling the same muck for the last day without the penny dropping. Monkeys would pick it up quicker

The penny has dropped, you are a sad man with nothing better to do then worry about what other people drive. Get over yourself man, let people drive what they want they pay enough for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Owned!

no one mentioned the length of vehicles?

If you want to start with "road hogs" try this for size, the BMW 1,3 and 5 Series are wider than a Santa Fe

BMW 1 Series
    Width 1934mm

BMW 3 Series
    Width 2013mm

BMW 5 Series
    Width 2030mm

Hyundai Santa Fe
    Width 1890mm

Thats another argument out the window!!!

The penny has dropped, you are a sad man with nothing better to do then worry about what other people drive. Get over yourself man, let people drive what they want they pay enough for it.

You need to mature alot. Your attitude leaves alot to be desired.

• Advertisement

The Hyundai is a 7 seater and is 70mm wider than the VW Passat, how would the lenght of your dick hog up the road ;)

Hyundai Santa Fe
    Width 1890mm

VW Passat Estate
    Width 1820mm

exactly,look at the width!which is wider?me thinks the santa fe,any way its not about the width,the sante fe puts out worse emisions and eats more petrol than the passat,my dick wouldnt fit on a public road:)

You need to mature alot. Your attitude leaves alot to be desired.

I'm plenty mature my good man, I don't waste my time going crazy over people choosing to buy a Hyundai Santa fe. I live and let live, I suggest you give it a try some time. :)

exactly,look at the width!which is wider?me thinks the santa fe,any way its not about the width,the sante fe puts out worse emisions and eats more petrol than the passat,my dick wouldnt fit on a public road:)

Yeah, your dick is so big if you slapped it on the keyboard it would go all the way from A to Z ;)

I'm plenty mature my good man, I don't waste my time going crazy over people choosing to buy a Hyundai Santa fe. I live and let live, I suggest you give it a try some time. :)

ya you come across as a really REALLY chilled out person . NOT

LOL Sounds like you've been to the Borat school of comedy!!!

I'm plenty chilled out when I'm driving my Hyundai Santa Fe with the A/C up full blast!:D

Seriously though you said mature not chilled out. keep to your point ya MAN.

I'm plenty chilled out when I'm driving my Hyundai Santa Fe with the A/C up full blast!:D

Seriously though you said mature not chilled out. keep to your point ya MAN.

I seriously looked into buying a Santa Fe, the only thing stopping me was the location of the emergancy brake, thats where I'd usually plant my foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

I despise Range Rover drivers simply because I can't afford to buy 1 let alone keep in diesel and obviously they have (or pretend to have) loads of money and I don't so basically I'm jealous and besides, most of them can't drive them anyway and I know I can because I drive bigger vehicles everyday etc etc....with all that said I'm verfy content with my little lot just wish I could afford a bloody Range Rover and show off about how much money I have (or pretend to have)!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

very true,point taken.but probably half thr amount of emisions and petrol or diesel consumption comapred to the cheapass santa fe,but i do take you r point,maybe an emisions test every 2 years for cars over 8 years old,like in japan

Penalise older car drivers eh?
    To all those advocating we all run out every two years and buy new cars becuase they will be more friendly with emissions, why don't you think about what resources are being used in building those new cars, transporting them half way around the world and the resources that are used in dismantling the older cars that you think we should all get rid of.
    Bit like the arguement about disposing of Prius batteries.

Maybe when people in this country come back to reality and banks/credit companies are not fawning over them offering cheap credit, then they might start hanging onto their old cars.
    Next time you are on holidays compare the average age of our car population to those of the country you are visiting.
    Take a look at the age of some of the cars in France, Australia or New Zealand to mention a few.
    But of course we are one of the richest countries in the world and we want to show everyone :rolleyes:
    We are reall good at showing how much money we can borrow.

To the anti SUV brigade, with our good old economy going down the tube before long a lot of people will be trading in their SUVs or convertibles for whatever is the modern equivalent of the 1980s Lada.

Also some people as mentioned earlier by forestry worker, have a valid necessity to drive 4x4 and it is not to show off.
    Our government and the revenue have forced lots of businesses to opt for crew cabs/commerical 4x4s instead of good old fashioned vans since they are more tax efficient.
    Thus you see 4x4 being driven by medical reps, sandwich delivery boys, interior design companies etc.
    None of them will ever see a bog, field or ditch.
    So how green is that.

Now I am going to go home in me old smoky ten year old diesel.
    Hopefully I can smoother a few green cyclists and SUV drivers at the same time :D

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

What exactly do most people class as an SUV these days?
    Most vehicels that are called SUV's are really only cars and not particulary big ones at that.

Its only large SUV's that most of these arguments apply to. (ie Land Cruiser or Bigger)
    There are a large amount of people who drive these SUV's that are unable to handel them. But most of these people are unable to handle smaller vehicels very well either.

Bad driving is not restricted to SUV drivers.
    calling all SUV drivers scum is just uncalled for, sure there are some idiots out there but its not the vas majority of SUV drivers. Its just the maniacs in SUV's stand out more than the rest of the maniacs on the road.

I am a Farmer and as a tractor driver you get to see just how stupid people can be. Every time I take to the road in a tractor I am over taken on blind corners or when I am indicating right. There is no diffrence between the drivers of diffrent vehicels from Artic trucks to Fiat Sechentos there all nuts and will take unnessacery risks. Personly I think about a quater of the people on the roads do not belong behind the wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Yes but buying a new car is equivalent to 2 years worth of pollution. So it is just about the most enviornmentally unfriendly thing you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

I can't believe it...yesterday my friend turned in her Saab 93 for a Hummer H3. It was cheaper for her, but we will see how much more she spends on fuel.
    Cosmo K wrote: »
    Are you actually serious? That Cadillac Escalade thing.....i'm not gonna call that heap of junk a car....does 12-19 mpg according to cadillac's website. Now a 1.0 l Yaris will do 45-50 mpg, do I have to say more?

Escalade 6.2L V-8 Hybrid: 17.5 MPG city/27.6 MPG highway, 5,511 lbs curb weight
    Camry 3.5L V-6: 19 city/28 highway, 3,461 lbs
    Yaris 1.6L 4-cyl: 29/35, 2,340

Check the Cadillac and Toyota websites.

Okay, so the Yaris gets better mileage than the Escalade, but it's only 60% better, when the Escalade is 140% heavier. I would say the Escalade is "more bang for your buck" which makes it the emmission and MPG economical choice if you are looking at the basic facts. Yes, it is more expensive to buy, but also much more luxurious - and I'm sure there's a post somewhere about luxury cars as well.
    Wow you baffle me with YOUR facts which you cant prove but yet have the cheek to attack the anti SUV threads??

Fact SUV block visability
    Fact SUV not needed to carry most (I would say all) things.
    Fact SUV higher lights then cars and hence blind ordinary car via rear view mirror.
    Fact I would rather avoid being hit by a these tanks then any other car.

Allllllllright...you are naming FACTs, without backup...including the last fact about something you would RATHER do. That's not a fact at all. Stop it. At least I research the cars before I talk about the real facts on this board.
    this is the most moronic responses to any post on any thread on any forum on the entire internet. you do yourself so much shame. please stop posting for fear of further compounding steroetypes. i didn't think i'd ever say this but you make SUV drivers look bad(der).

...and you make English as a language look worse. Besides, even if it was a moronic response - it worked. You took time out of your day to reply to it. Highly effective.
    cornbb wrote: »
    I couldn't give a crap about spending money on some overbearing status symbol, I have better things to do with my cash.

Good for you - I'm the same way. I still want a Grand Cherokee for my next car. I like them. I drove a Commander, but it really was just too showy for me. However, some people like to show their cash and they are going to do it, whether it's through clothes, home furnishings, cars, or anything else. I don't hear people ranting as much against buying expensive clothes when there is a cheaper alternative. Some people like to show their money - they worked hard for it and they want to show it. I think it is tacky, but understand others' feelings.
    cornbb wrote: »
    I have just had many, many negative experiences with the attitudes of a disproportionate amount of SUV drivers (attitudes mind you, not individual bad driving incidents).

As I said in my previous post - I don't think an SUV makes a bad driver, but I think bad drivers are attracted to SUVs. That way, their poor driving habits are more intimidating to others, those others avoid them because it's a larger and more intimidating vehicle. So yes, there may be a disproportionate amount of bad drivers in SUVs, but you cannot assume all of them fit that category.
    Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Everyone knows the facts about suv's.....the pros and cons.
    A minority of People buy them because either they need them for work or because of where they live .

The rest buy them cos they are buying into a lifestyle......Sad but true.

I dont agree with provisional drivers on the roads

Cars - weather you like it or not - are a lifestyle. They are expensive, and a major part of peoples lives. Some spend hours a day going to and from work, or even doing work in their vehicles. If you are spending that much time and money - that vehicle should reflect you and your personality. I don't think it's sad, but understand your viewpoint.

Everyone is a new driver at some point, you don't get better with age - it skill comes with experience.
    caoibhin wrote: »
    I do understand why some people get pi**ed off with SUVs in urban areas, doesnt make sense. Still though i have one, i do need it for work, (its commercial) I work in forestry, the jeep is indeed off road 50% of the time and pulling heavy machinery about the place. Cant see a toyota prius doing that.

And the thing about it is that these people that get upset about not using it as they think it should be used, might see you on your day off - then they become angry because you are using your jeep without towing something behind it. You aren't going to buy a jeep AND a prius, one car is good enough, and you can use the jeep for both.
    prospect wrote: »
    Can someone PLEASE define an SUV?

Why not ban people buying cars capable of speeds of over 120KM/h as no one needs to go faster than that. Why not ban radios, they are not needed. And sure while we are at it, why would you allow people pick the colour of their vehicle, lets ban colours while we are at it....

Multifunction mobile phones, game consoles, Plasma & LCD TV's, designer labels, branded products, art, comedy etc. None of these are needed, sure

SUV: Origonally based on a truck, but instead of a bed have seats or storage, with a head covering...eventually becoming more luxurious due to the demands of customers not wanting to feel like a "Mom" in an MPV. The newer ones that are smaller (referred to as a "Crossover" in the US) is basically an MPV without the sliding doors, also to get rid of the mom feeling.

By the way - I agree with you about things being necessary. I think my mobile is necessary, but 15 years ago I had to actually use a phone that was attached to the wall in my home. 100 years ago, we didn't even have electricity to support either kind of telephone. Would these people consider electricity unnecessary? Everyone has a different oppinion on where the line should be drawn - or you can just leave it with no line and see how humans evolve into better products that suit their personalities.
    caoibhin wrote: »
    Fairnuff craichoe
    I couldent agree more, point is though, i and many more like me drove a jeep before it was fashionable and will do when its not so trendy. Problem is that now ordinary people like me just going about their business will now be taxed heavily because its trendy for yummie mummies to drive one. Surely there should be some exemption if its commercial or it can be proven to be work related.
    again, for the record, there is NO need for these jeeps in an urban setting.

Once again, what is actually needed? Also - you are right, you sholdn't be taxed because other people want to off a "fad." It's not like the government is going to exclude you for being a loyal customer. It's not equal for anyone.
    craichoe wrote: »
    Sounds to me like the, I'll be safer with a gun argument ..

...if no one has a gun, and one person gets a hold of one, they will reek havoc on a city until caught by the city officials (that should have a gun), but if everybody has a gun, that person might have a lot harder of a time robbing anyone or getting what s/he wants.
    Think of other words when you say the word "truck"
    mmmm....'work' 'goods' 'distribution'

Think of other words when you say the words "agricultural vehicle"
    mmmm....'work' 'goods' 'distribution' 'staple food' 'harvesting'

Think of other words when you say the term "SUV"
    mmmm....'selfish' 'unnecessary' 'big'

Another post with pure personal oppinion as basis for this political agenda. What about my friends that drive a truck just because they like it? Tell me what you think about my friend that drives a Ford F-150 just because he likes it, and he can carry his gym bag in the back.
    No I would be better off if assho*es in SUV's werent hoggin the road.

Typical SUV push everyone off the road attitude.

And yes I am more willing to put up with the obstruction of a truck doing deliveries etc than an SUV popping down to the shop for a pint of milk. oh the weight of the pint of milk, the big tank needed to carry it home.

Can you tell me why you need an SUV please?

No one needs it, we just want it. There is nothing wrong with wanting something.
    Well .. Fact is that in Ireland (if they follow European Directives, which they are so far with Driving Permits, Licensing categories and Co2 based taxation) that SUV's, 4x4's - Partime 4x4's or whatever you want to call them will be taxed heavily in the future to discourage you from driving them.

...then this is a government that is pushing personal preference on the public. If they don't like big cars, then no one can like big cars. They may use the environment as an excuse, but we already conquered that.
    Mods, please close this thread and send it the same way as fog lights, and any future threads that go the same way.
    It always leads into inflated ego's arguing for the sake of it with no valid points from either side.

Take care of your own problems and stop getting more people involved. Do you actually think that someone won't start a new thread of this one is stopped?
    cancan wrote: »
    When you have drug dealers involved in the exotic car market due to the high taxes, there comes a point that maybe the taxes are too high.

If everyone is trying to get around a tax, perhaps the tax needs to be reevaluated

SUV's now, then performance cars, the petrol cars etc etc.

You are absolutely correct - once they get rid of the large SUVs, then it wil be MPVs, then sports cars, everything on down. People are going to do it either way. There are tons of people that go down to London or wherever else and buy a car and import it because in the long run it is cheaper than buying it here...people will get what they want and nothing will stop them. There is no use in trying to control people. The gonvernment is not meant to control the population - it is supposed to lead it.
    Fair enough the larger jeeps can be a nusiance in the city. If the driver is competent then whats the problem? You seem to have an issue with peoples choice to drive what they like as long as it effects no one else.

Everything you do effects everyone else, so that doesn't really matter. If a driver hits a pedestrian in an SUV, they will do the same in a small car.

The point is, it doesn't matter what you do, people want things whether they are taxed more or not. Sure, there might be less on the road, but people will still get them, even if they register it in a more rural area to avoid the tax. Go with the flow, get used to it, and car-pool your kids to school.

:) Can't we all just get along?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MCMLXXXIII wrote: »
    Everything you do effects everyone else, so that doesn't really matter. If a driver hits a pedestrian in an SUV, they will do the same in a small car./QUOTE]no
    SUV's are statistically no safer than other cars in the same price range for the occupants
    they are however, far more dangerous to other road users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭nytraveller

I see that Hummer have brought out RHD versions of their H2's and H3's. Can't wait until I can afford to buy one. Unless something bigger comes out in the meantime!!! :p

Have a look at what's coming in 2008

usa_2008_infiniti_fx45_spe_4_x_exfrdrvr75_x.jpg

http://www.infiniti.com/fx/photos/exterior_photos.html

15 miles per gal / 320 hp V8

Better get your order in quick.......and expect to be 'keyed' alot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Have a look at what's coming in 2008

usa_2008_infiniti_fx45_spe_4_x_exfrdrvr75_x.jpg

http://www.infiniti.com/fx/photos/exterior_photos.html

15 miles per gal / 320 hp V8

Better get your order in quick.......and expect to be 'keyed' alot!!

Nice, but this might just be the ultimate SUV....:eek:

Perfect for tootling around town doing the shopping :p
    Maximog%20-%20Unimog.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

if no one has a gun, and one person gets a hold of one, they will reek havoc on a city until caught by the city officials (that should have a gun), but if everybody has a gun, that person might have a lot harder of a time robbing anyone or getting what s/he wants.

Tell that to the kids that were shot during the Columbine Massacre.

Thats THE single most stupid remark ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

So far the Anti-SUV side have made the following remarks (without evidence of proof) about SUVs, to justify their intolerance:

They are too long,
    They are too wide,
    They are not safe to the occupants,
    They are not safe to other road users,
    They emit too much CO2,
    They consume too much fuel.

Every single one of these arguments has been disproven with facts.

And lets not forget, we all live in a democracy, we have freedom of choice. Think about that the next time you contribute to the traffic on the M50 when you head to the airport for your unnecessary holiday abroad on a huge noise and air polluting airplane that consumes massive amounts of highly refined non-renewable fuel.

So far the Anti-SUV side have made the following remarks (without evidence of proof) about SUVs, to justify their intolerance:

They are too long,
    They are too wide,
    They are not safe to the occupants,
    They are not safe to other road users,
    They emit too much CO2,
    They consume too much fuel.

Every single one of these arguments has been disproven with facts.

And lets not forget, we all live in a democracy, we have freedom of choice. Think about that the next time you contribute to the traffic on the M50 when you head to the airport for your unnecessary holiday abroad on a huge noise and air polluting airplane that consumes massive amounts of highly refined non-renewable fuel.

Then why is the EU considering changing the category on these vehicles and banning/taxing them heavily if theres proof to the contrary ?

How can you compare a 4x4 vehicle to a Boeing 737 / Airbus A320. Should we get a boat instead ? Or perhaps get the Governement to build a tunnel to America. You could drive all the way there in your SUV then :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Then why is the EU considering changing the category on these vehicles and banning/taxing them heavily if theres proof to the contrary ?

How can you compare a 4x4 vehicle to a Boeing 737 / Airbus A320. Should we get a boat instead ? Or perhaps get the Governement to build a tunnel to America. You could drive all the way there in your SUV then :P

Because, like the current Irish road tax regime, they are trying to generate revenue.

Because, the argument so far is to ban/punish SUVs because they are not necessary. A holiday abroad is not necessary, so lby your rationale we should ban those also, as a flight probably emits more bad-environmental stuff than any road going vehicle would in 10 years.

• Advertisement

Because, like the current Irish road tax regime, they are trying to generate revenue.

Because, the argument so far is to ban/punish SUVs because they are not necessary. A holiday abroad is not necessary, so lby your rationale we should ban those also, as a flight probably emits more bad-environmental stuff than any road going vehicle would in 10 years.

So the studies that they did *which i posted already* were just made up ?
    The EU Makes a RECOMMENDATION ... its up to the Member state to implement it.

Drivers Permits ?
    Co2 Emission Taxing
    National Development Plan ....

Any of these ring a bell ...

Have a look at europa.eu and look at their recommendations .. you'll find our new driver licensing system has been up there for a while.

You really are making no sense

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement