Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SUV Scum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 derryman

prospect wrote: »
    So far the Anti-SUV side have made the following remarks (without evidence of proof) about SUVs, to justify their intolerance:

They are too long,
    They are too wide,
    They are not safe to the occupants,
    They are not safe to other road users,
    They emit too much CO2,
    They consume too much fuel.

Every single one of these arguments has been disproven with facts.

Jealousy cycles a bike in the rain in Ireland - the greens are yellow in the cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

craichoe wrote: »
    You really are making no sense

Actually he makes perfect sense. You're the one who can't argue for yourself, instead rehashing "but the EU said so". I despise the things for their piss poor pedestrian safety and the way people drive around with the illusion of personal safety in them (see triangle's comments), but the environmental argument is cack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

It is like this:

All the arguments made by you (and others who share your opinion) have either:

1. Been proven to be untrue.
    2. Been shown to include a myriad of vehicles.

So, if your problem is CO2 emissions, then your argument is against high CO2 emitting vehicles, not just SUVs (although some do have high emissions)

If your problem is about road space, your argument is against vehicles with large wheelbases, not just SUV's (although some do have high large wheelbases)

So if you cannot see/admit that, lets call a spade a spade,
    You just do not like SUV styled vehicles, for no particular reason other than taste. Thats your perogative and no one is denying you that, but give us all a break and stop trying to force your opinions on everyone and disguising your reasons behind false facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

You just do not like SUV styled vehicles, for no particular reason other than taste. Thats your perogative and no one is denying you that, but give us all a break and stop trying to force your opinions on everyone and disguising your reasons behind false facts.

Heh.. good post. I'm a bit guilty of disliking them for those reasons! Fair play. I guess the people that like them, like them because they have no taste, no sense of style, no idea of vehicle performance. A bit like someone entering the tour de france with a mountain bike, silly, pointless and laughable.

Thats their perogative!

lightening wrote: »
    Heh.. good post. I'm a bit guilty of disliking them for those reasons! Fair play. I guess the people that like them, like them because they have no taste, no sense of style, no idea of vehicle performance. A bit like someone entering the tour de france with a mountain bike, silly, pointless and laughable.

Thats their perogative!

True,

However it is important to note that, everyone has different taste, (I would be of the opinion that a RAV4 is far more stylish than a VW Bora).

Also, and it kills me to say this, I drove a BMX X5 recently, and it drives far better, and handles far better than a lot of cars I have driven. But, that is just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Nice, but this might just be the ultimate SUV....:eek:

Perfect for tootling around town doing the shopping :p
    Maximog%20-%20Unimog.jpg

At last we finaly found a proper SUV to give out about :D

Man I want one of them. Now where is the nearest Unimog dealer?

This is the type of vehicle that most of the anti SUV mob base ther statiscs on as opposed to the ever so slightly bigger and ever so slightly less safe monsters like the Toyota Rav 4 or God forbid the massive Suzuki Jimny.

the most redicules part of the statment that "SUV Drivers are scum" is the fact that vehicle is in the same classification as a Nissan Qashqai.

I think Mogs require a truck licence though or else need to be restricted to agricultural speeds

Also, and it kills me to say this, I drove a BMX X5 recently, and it drives far better, and handles far better than a lot of cars I have driven. But, that is just my opinion.

JEEEEESUS SHUT UP!!!!

I just prefer cars. Less pretentious. Whatever our opinions, no excuse for vandalism. Its someones property.

JEEEEESUS SHUT UP!!!!

What a perfect summary of the AntiSUV argument.

A perfect time to end the thread I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

JEEEEESUS SHUT UP!!!!

I just prefer cars. Less pretentious. .

Why is a car less pretentious? I drive off road every day so where is the pretense?

There are loads of pretetious cars and sure this is true of many of the SUV's on the market but not all.

Infact I think there should be a whole new classification for some of the so called SUV's.

What a perfect summary of the AntiSUV argument.

A perfect time to end the thread I would think.

Yeah... I'm with you, my JEEESUS SHUT UP was all in jest of course.

Happy motoring. Whatever you drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

So, the anti SUV crowd here don't really have anything to say except that they don't like SUV's (for whatever reason)
    The arguements about space, size, co2 etc, can be applied to pretty much every class of vehicle on our roads.

So the thread has degraded into SUV bashing because they don't like them...

Well folks, so long as we live in a free state, regardless of fuel price, car tax etc, if we are prepared to accept the cost, we can drive whatever the hell we want, and will continue to do so despite what the bashers say.

So STFU!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Stark wrote: »
    Actually he makes perfect sense. You're the one who can't argue for yourself, instead rehashing "but the EU said so". I despise the things for their piss poor pedestrian safety and the way people drive around with the illusion of personal safety in them (see triangle's comments), but the environmental argument is cack.

Your obviously haven't read that whole thread.. thats not my stance at all.
    I'm saying

A. Its pointless having an SUV in a City .. Its ALREADY been implemented in Holland where i live. Theres an additional tax on SUV's here already. They just don't want them in the Cities.

B. Having and using it for the purpose its intended is fine.

C. The EU's studies were about pedestrian safety, not emissions.

D. I'm not saying "Because the EU said so" I said, ITS HAPPENING SO DEAL WITH IT.

You should read the whole thing properly before you bounce in and take one comment out of context.

If people paid any attention they would see this stuff is worked out in the EU years before Ireland ever implements anything.

Drivers permits were in the works back in 2001 -- just as an example.

Why are people taking it as I don't like SUV's, I said their comfortable and handle like a boat, but your going to pay a premium for owning one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 E34

RobAMerc wrote: »
    people dont like SUV's because they are jealous begrudging bast*rds - its as simple as that, and thats why a campaign against them will work in Ireland.

Anyone who wants to should be allowed drive any legal car they like - its not up to you or anyone else to tell them they shouldn't unless they are outlawed

as for people saying their drivers are ignorant, selfish, or muppets - I could say the exact same of any car type driver - this is bullsh!t

Well said!:D

The anti "SUV" arguement is complete and utter hogwash. A 4x4 vehicle is just an easy target for environment nazi's.

If its a pollution issue, how is it you dont see people writing "big house polluting scum" on the wall of a large house?
    Or if its a congestion problem, why not abuse fat people for taking up too much pavement space and having large turning circles??

Its all boll1x dreamed up by middle aged do-gooder gay byrne types, imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭MrVostro

Just for a little light relief i have a story about a mildly famous crusty who shall remain nameless.

Met them in the airport a while ago and they were asking where i was going on holidays and did i know the damage to the environment i was doing.

Me - "Im actually going on business. why?

Them - "Well, you should not travel by air even on business, take the train."

Me - "I'm going to Milan"

Them - "Yopu could take the ferry and then the Chunnel and use less CO2"

Me - "I'm only going for the day, coming back tonight"

Them - "well i just want you to think about what you are doing"

And then they go off to the next victim.

Then 2 weeks later i'm going to Prague for the weekend, and who is on the flight behind me with their mates wearing silly hats for a wild weekend away.

Yep - The Crusty.

Anyway, back on topic. I would love an SUV. I will grow more trees to offset it.
    I would much prefer to be taxed on Petrol than on buying the car as then i would pay for the actual CO2 i was emitting. (No Minister Gormley, that is not permission to tax me on ALL OF buying, Owning and Driving a car. It is a request to tax me only for the CO2 my car emits please, So dont try and sneak in more tax at the first opportunity)

E34 wrote: »
    Or if its a congestion problem, why not abuse fat people for taking up too much pavement space and having large turning circles??

I'm sure if they actually used the footpath for getting places from time to time, then obesity wouldn't be as much of a problem for them ;)

Stark wrote: »
    I'm sure if they actually used the footpath for getting places from time to time, then obesity wouldn't be as much of a problem for them ;)

But the footpaths in Dublin City Center are more congested than the roads :)

Tax the footpaths I say.

C. The EU's studies were about pedestrian safety, not emissions.
    Prospect wrote:
    Large 4x4's - 17 Listed - 3 have 2 stars - None have 3 or more stars - 17.5% Safe - 0% Very Safe
    Small 4x4's - 13 Listed - 6 have 2 stars - 3 have 3 stars - 46% Safe - 23% Very Safe
    Executive Cars - 17 Listed - 1 has 2 stars - 1 has 3 stars - 1 has 4 stars - 6% Safe - 6% Very Safe - 6% Extremely safe
    Large MPVs - 18 Listed - 3 have 2 stars - 17% are safe
    Small MPVs - 30 Listed - 12 have 2 stars - 4 have 3 stars - 40% Safe - 13% Very Safe
    Large Family Cars - 60 Listed - 9 have 2 stars - 15% are Safe
    Small Family Cars - 53 Listed - 12 have 2 stars - 8 have 3 stars - 22.5% Safe - 15% Are Very Safe.

Hardly conclusive that 4x4s are dangerous.

In fact, the highest percentage of both 2 and 3 star cars are in the small 4x4 category.

Looks like either:

You made that up.
    or
    The EU studies are wrong.
    or
    The Euro NCAP tests are wrong.

MrVosto wrote:
    But the footpaths in Dublin City Center are more congested than the roads

Tax the footpaths I say.

That's true. I fantasise about doing things to slow walking people and slow people walking arm-in-arm, three abreast. Bad things.

They need a fast lane and a slow lane. Sorry, "walking lane and overtaking lane" ;)

Well ..

I must say, the "I love my SUV bunch" really have proven what an arrogant bunch of a55holes they really are. They've completely ignored information i've posted from sources.

I didn't even think SUV's were all that bad, but after this thread i think differently.

Heres to you being penalised heavily, if you don't get it, i guess the governent will just have to take it out on your wallet.

Anyways .. heres a small idea of what you have coming in the near future.. just for road tax ! :)

http://www.belastingdienst.nl/reken/motorrijtuigenbelasting/

for:
    Voor welk soort voertuig wilt u een berekening maken?

Choose:
    Personenauto

For Region:
    Zuid-Holland

Then the rest is self explanitory.

And thats excluding the green tax on SUV's

Have fun, but enjoy it at a premium .. I guess its just yere tough sh*t really because it won't affect the rest of us.

I sppose you can write a strongly worded letter to the EU Council and maybe they'll listen to your whining

Looks like either:

You made that up.
    or
    The EU studies are wrong.
    or
    The Euro NCAP tests are wrong.

Whatever man ... :) it doesn't matter .. your still going to have to PAY PAY PAY ... lol

• Advertisement

Whatever man ... :) it doesn't matter .. your still going to have to PAY PAY PAY ... lol

LOL :D

I don't understand that language, I assume it is dutch, but it looks to me like you are proving yourself wrong, which has made me laugh out loud here.

Cheers for the laughs.

Oh, by the way, we live in Ireland (and we all know the Irish government don't abide by Eouropean vehicle taxation regulations), just in case you missed that important point.

You still don't get it do you?

If we want them then we will pay for them. Everyone knows the government here are a bunch of twats that always go for the easy option. So because of the larely ignorant population, the anti-suv shower will probably get their way.

But regardless of what tax is levied on SUV's, people will still buy them. And you will still be held up by them. So quit your whining cos they are here to stay!

Like it or not!

You still don't get it do you?

If we want them then we will pay for them. Everyone knows the government here are a bunch of twats that always go for the easy option. So because of the larely ignorant population, the anti-suv shower will probably get their way.

But regardless of what tax is levied on SUV's, people will still buy them. And you will still be held up by them. So quit your whining cos they are here to stay!

Like it or not!

Nope, I don't get it,

Help me out here:
    Could you show me specifically where on the link you provided where it isolates SUv's and points out that they will suffer higher taxes?

Just to add, it's probably safe to say that people that are spending anything from 60 - 120k on big SUV's are not going to give a damn about a few extra euro in taxes or fuel charges.

Nope, I don't get it,

Help me out here:
    Could you show me specifically where on the link you provided where it isolates SUv's and points out that they will suffer higher taxes?

Well seeing as I didn't quote any link, you're dead right, You Don't Get It

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

So quit your whining cos they are here to stay!

Like it or not!
    I don't think so. SUV buyers are less well-equipped than most to cope with being the object of public derision. Taxation policy will help, but what will ultimately kill the fad off is that they're just not seen as being cool any more.

Ha ..

No, that link is just for road tax, on 120K you're looking at an extra 50 - 80k, up to 100k extra for the largest classication, on a 2.5 Turbo Diesel your going to be paying roughtly around 2500 euro /year along and then you have your conjestion tax too.

These are to discourage you from driving a large vehicle.

So if you can afford/justify paying it thats great.

Yup arrogant idiots :)
    Still haven't copped on that im not anti SUV.. posted WAY back in this thread that your going to have to pay for a large vehicle which most people won't be able to afford.

Also to whoever said they don't speak dutch .. i don't speak frikkin dutch either, but it doesn't exactly take a lingua expert to figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Also to whoever said they don't speak dutch .. i don't speak frikkin dutch either, but it doesn't exactly take a lingua expert to figure it out.

Dude, what do you expect from those who can't read/understand plain ENGLISH? to understand Dutch?! :)
    I've given up on them many pages ago when I realised they are unable to read/think. I made my points, the rest is for the intelligent readers to judge...

Ha ..

No, that link is just for road tax, on 120K you're looking at an extra 50 - 80k, up to 100k extra for the largest classication, on a 2.5 Turbo Diesel your going to be paying roughtly around 2500 euro /year along and then you have your conjestion tax too.

Sounds like another name for VRT to me :)

• Advertisement

MrVostro wrote: »
    Sounds like another name for VRT to me :)

Registration Tax here is different, if its already purchased in a different state such as Germany, is different to when its registered for the first time. But yes, it is 'part of' the initial taxes that have to be paid at registration

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement