Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SUV Scum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

hitler, beatings and hatred. interesting references, drawn from thin air. the defining characteristics of the people in this thread getting hysterical and non-sensical in their defense of SUVs is that they aren't able to express themselves very well, form a cogent argument or debate without resorting to hyperbole, aggression and varying degrees of mobbish behaviour. fascinating.

Funny, the same argument can be directed towards the anti side of the argument. At least the pro SUV side has buckets of evidence over the last 25 odd pages to back up the points. You just pull facts out of nowhere, largely based on your own totally biased opinions. And yes, your attempt to remove MY freedom of choice in what I drive smacks of totalitarianism. Even in Iran, hardly a model society, they can drive SUV's without people like you feeding them crap about what selfish pigs they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

astraboy wrote: »
    . Even in Iran, hardly a model society, they can drive SUV's without people like you feeding them crap about what selfish pigs they are.

Surely nothing in Iran worrys the almighty astraboy blocking the visability of everyone with his big SUV argument (oh ya but only in cork) so that is fine. You are like rollercoaster, one minute telling everyone they are sad and get a life but completely arguing with the devil and his mother. Which is it? Stay off the whiskey.

dodgyme wrote: »
    Surely nothing in Iran worrys the almighty astraboy blocking the visability of everyone with his big SUV argument (oh ya but only in cork) so that is fine. You are like rollercoaster, one minute telling everyone they are sad and get a life but completely arguing with the devil and his mother. Which is it? Stay off the whiskey.

Your the one with the problem. If you can't negotiate around marginally sized vehicles(I mean come on how big is a RAV4 of santa fe?:rolleyes:) you should not be on the road. If you cannot manage to drive without getting flustered by an SUV, how do you handle vans, trucks etc? How did you get a license? In fact if I were you I'd stay home all day, clearly there are far too many people out in the world that bother you with their everyday lives, so why subject yourself to such torture? Just stay home and rant, far better for all involved.

Kind regards, Astraboy.

their everyday lives, .

Whats this everyday lives crap. Are you writing a victorian novel?

marginally sized vehicles santa fe.

a santa fe is a marginally sized vehicle? - no mate a corolla is a marginally sized vehicle

• Advertisement

Whats this everyday lives crap. Are you writing a victorian novel?

An interesting comeback, but I have come to expect no less from you. Glad to see you are sticking to the issue of SUV's anyway. Perhaps if you wish to continue the character bashing and petty insults, take it to PM. This thread is about people buying and driving SUV's so stick to the subject. As for "this everyday lives crap" I mean a persons choice of what they drive is down to what they do day to day, and this choice is nothing to do with you.

In fact, other then annoying people with your Anti rants, what have you bought to the motors forum? Do you even like cars, or have an interest in them? Or are you here for arguments sake?

O, BTW, a Santa Fe and Corolla estate both easily fit in a car space and can pass each other on the road no problem. If you dig back over the thread you'll see a santa fe is actually narrower then many run of the mill cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

We interrupt your scheduled programming for this short message:
    rs wrote: »
    So as much as I might want to have a gun sometimes, I'm quite happy that I can't legally own one because it means morons can't legally own them aswell.
    Assuming you are living in Ireland, unless you're under 16, or of 'intemperate habits,' or insane, or been convicted of certain crimes, or a few other things (see here), you can indeed legally own a firearm here.

Just debunking Irish Gun Myth No. 1: "Guns are illegal in Ireland"

Normal programming now resumes...

Rovi wrote: »
    We interrupt your scheduled programming for this short message:
    Assuming you are living in Ireland, unless you're under 16, or of 'intemperate habits,' or insane, or been convicted of certain crimes, or a few other things (see here), you can indeed legally own a firearm here.

Just debunking Irish Gun Myth No. 1: "Guns are illegal in Ireland"

Normal programming now resumes...
    Good point Rovi. I must head over to the shooting forum, I haven't been in a while! I'm sure Dodgyme will be on with his anti shooting arguments any moment now...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Anyone see Andrew Maxwells SUV rant on the panel tonight? I wanted to grab him by the lapels and give him a good shaking and (I'm blue in the face for saying it) I don't even like the bloody things.

Sorry to my friends here on boards but I think "SUVs", European stylee are slightly larger, slightly heavier, slightly less safe, slightly spongier luxury cars that pollute slightly more, but only pro rata compared to their lower slung cousins. Legislating against owning one is a bit harsh IMO but considering the vast gluts of tax we pay for motoring in Ireland isn't it fair to say ALL motoring is being legilated against??

I will definitely agree that it usually takes a special kind of balooba to buy one and it is definitely the PC thing to shun the things but I think the hatred is totally disproportionate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

cantdecide wrote: »
    Anyone see Andrew Maxwells SUV rant on the panel tonight? I wanted to grab him by the lapels and give him a good shaking and (I'm blue in the face for saying it) I don't even like the bloody things.

why the grabbing and shaking?

the most self-righteous and self-entitled people i've met in my life are the yummy mummies he referred to. they deserve all the abuse they get.

• Advertisement

And I'm sure you are basing your opinions on having spent countless hours talking to said yummy mummies? More like you are basing your opinion on what you read in the tabloids. Also, is your dislike of SUV's down to simply because a small cross section of owners are "yummy mummies"? Kind of puts the rest of your arguments out the window really, its down to simple intolerance of others and possibly jealousy of the lives these people live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

why the grabbing and shaking?

the most self-righteous and self-entitled people i've met in my life are the yummy mummies he referred to. they deserve all the abuse they get.

You hate people with bigger cars, and people with sexier wives.
    Tough being you, eh?

Can we please close this thread - I'd hate to waste all the stupidity this form has demonstrated - FF will need them all for the next election, and it would be a shame to burn them out here...

Funny how I've never met someone wealthy who was very anti suv - seems to be contageous among the poor/begrudging/bitter, or those unhappy with their lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

to astraboy and cancan, i live in mount merrion, work in the city, live with a beautiful woman and drive an MPV at the moment. jealousy couldn't be farther from the truth. i am surrounded by yummy mummies and know more than i'd like to. you wouldn't know an informed opinion if it came and spat in your cocopops.

Let me know when you are 12 - I'll send you a card.
    It's well past your bed time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Care to justify the pedestrian killers, sorry, 'Bull' Bars?
    My last one, wish I never sold it :(
    img0100oq0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Here is a thing I find weird, I constantly hear about and read about people complaining about 'Yummy Mummys' driving Range Rovers just to cart their two kids and their paraphenalia to school & back, and probably to stop and do the weekly shopping for their family. The complaint is that it is a bit 'overkill', however, you never hear anyone complain about Middle-Aged Middle-Managment Men commuting over large distances on their own, with a laptop and PDA in the same vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Also, is your dislike of SUV's down to simply because a small cross section of owners are "yummy mummies"?
    It may well be a small cross-section in Cork. Where I live, it's somewhat more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

MadsL wrote: »
    Care to justify the pedestrian killers, sorry, 'Bull' Bars?

First off, it's not a bull bar and no, I don't care to justify it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

First off, it's not a bull bar

A pedestrian killer then so....
    no, I don't care to justify it.

SCUM :D:D:D

Good point Rovi. I must head over to the shooting forum, I haven't been in a while! I'm sure Dodgyme will be on with his anti shooting arguments any moment now...

and who is keeping to the topic now? You have zero credibility and lots LOTS to learn. You wouldnt know a gun if it came up and shot you on the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

Last night on my way home from work I was caught behind a delivery truck. The driver was driving extremely slowly looking for the address. Then the truck stopped and the driver carried out a package (that he could carry with one hand), left it at the front door of a house, and then drove off. Since I was stuck behind the truck, since I was not able to see in front of the truck, and since the driver was delivering a small package - I think all delivery trucks should be banned...especially since that package would fit in a Golf and the large, polluting truck that blocked my view was not necessary! What do you guys think?

MadsL wrote: »
    A pedestrian killer then so....

SCUM :D:D:D

Oh, and Camar-Ireland isn't scum, he's just not dropping to your level. So I will stick for him. If he hasn't killed any pedestrians or rammed other vehicles with his bull bars (he probably hasn't, and you can't prove he did), then you have no place to make fun of him. He has the free choice and he made it...and so did the person that bought it from him. I would have probably done the same.

Please return from your high horse down to your Yaris and stop trying to attack the freedom of everyone in this country.

MCMLXXXIII wrote: »
    Please return from your high horse down to your Yaris and stop trying to attack the freedom of everyone in this country.

selfishness is now freedom?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Oh, and Camar-Ireland isn't scum, he's just not dropping to your level. So I will stick for him. If he hasn't killed any pedestrians or rammed other vehicles with his bull bars (he probably hasn't, and you can't prove he did), then you have no place to make fun of him. He has the free choice and he made it...and so did the person that bought it from him. I would have probably done the same.
    This says it all, really.

Last night on my way home from work I was caught behind a delivery truck. The driver was driving extremely slowly looking for the address. Then the truck stopped and the driver carried out a package (that he could carry with one hand), left it at the front door of a house, and then drove off. Since I was stuck behind the truck, since I was not able to see in front of the truck, and since the driver was delivering a small package - I think all delivery trucks should be banned...especially since that package would fit in a Golf and the large, polluting truck that blocked my view was not necessary! What do you guys think?.

This only makes the point that the anti-SUV side have argued. Good to see we have a convert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

Selfishness is not freedom, but one does have the freedom to be selfish.
    I don't think choosing to drive an SUV is selfish. I think the selfish ones are driving around in 1L cars that are too slow to keep up with traffic, people that turn without signaling, or people that take multiple parking spots at once, among others. Each of these are performed by drivers from all types of vehicles.
    This only makes the point that the anti-SUV side have argued. Good to see we have a convert?

I haven't seen anyone post a reply agreeing that Ireland should ban all delivery trucks. Care to post it, dodgyme?

I prefer selfish people to begrudgers any day - much more intersting conversation. - lets ban begrudgers, or move them to an island where they can all moan to each other about how unfair life is to them....

If life has been so (un) kind to leave you sitting in a 1ltr econobox, or mpv or other heap of junk, with a mortgage out your ears, get over it. It's probably your own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

cancan wrote: »
    ....or move them to an island where they can all moan to each other about how unfair life is to them....

I think they're already there:D:D:D

Sorry. Obvious one really:)

cantdecide wrote: »
    I think they're already there:D:D:D

Sorry. Obvious one really:)

Haha - missed that!

cancan wrote: »
    I prefer selfish people to begrudgers any day - much more intersting conversation. - lets ban begrudgers, or move them to an island where they can all moan to each other about how unfair life is to them....

If life has been so (un) kind to leave you sitting in a 1ltr econobox, or mpv or other heap of junk, with a mortgage out your ears, get over it. It's probably your own fault.

This is what makes me laugh about you crowd. No spirit, no sense of shared existence. Everyone must be a begrudger with a miserable life. No mate you got it wrong. I dont need the oversized heap of junk to make me happy. You resort to talking about mortgages and 1L cars because you judge everybody and everything in the crass fashion that the minute someone gets the money to buy a bigger car or show off more they will do so. - My god you are insecure. All nice SUV owner traits

• Advertisement

I haven't seen anyone post a reply agreeing that Ireland should ban all delivery trucks. Care to post it, dodgyme?

you didnt even get your own point. That you were annoyed because you were held up by unnecessarily by an unnecessary obstruction. Now on a scale of 1 to 10 how unnecessary is a Truck in comparison to the average SUV swaning around suburbia?

Thanks you make the point nicely

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement