Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SUV Scum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

What exactly is the problem with Jeeps? ... if a deisel XC90 puts out the same co2 as a sallon petrol mondeo for example why are people bashing SUV's ???? Am i missing something, because other than that i'd have to agree with MercMad and say it is just irish begrudgery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

RobAMerc wrote: »
    people dont like SUV's because they are jealous begrudging bast*rds - its as simple as that, and thats why a campaign against them will work in Ireland.

Anyone who wants to should be allowed drive any legal car they like - its not up to you or anyone else to tell them they shouldn't unless they are outlawed

as for people saying their drivers are ignorant, selfish, or muppets - I could say the exact same of any car type driver - this is bullsh!t

No .. because they drive like assholes, they expect you to get out of the way because their bigger and they park like assholes too.

I don't give a toss what you drive, as long as it doesn't affect me and SUV's affect me, sometimes a second space is used up because SUV assclown just jammed it up on the kerb (which is about the roughest terrain it will ever see)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

people dont like SUV's because they are jealous begrudging bast*rds

Then why aren't similar feelings had against drivers of Ferarris, Maseratis, other high-end cars? Sure, a lot of people are jealous of BMW, Merc drivers etc, but there is nothing there like the feelings against SUV drivers. Its not simple begrudgery. The simple truth is that while SUVs are probably great for the people who drive them, they are an absolute pain in the hole for other road users, the reasons for that have been repeated in this thread already. Hence the impression that, on average, SUV drivers are more selfish than other road users.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i bought mine because its a V8 petrol, and i like them thats it.....

no big head, no fat ass (well its a little chubby, have to work out a bit :D), no kids, no wife, no soccar mom, i havent got money to burn, just have a normal job, not showing off, because i know people that have spent more money on a focus or a golf that what i spent on my jeep.....i just like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

dodgyme wrote: »
    I hate SUVs and I think that people who drive them are scum. I would stop short of agreeing with the vandalism but i think SUV owners need to realise how much they are hated.

Very well reasoned contribution there!

Consider the practical reasons somebody might buy a 4x4/SUV/Jeep whatever you want to call it.

Condition of our rural roads, kids, dog, farm, self-employed manual labourer, carry equipment for work. etc etc.

You can't really run the "Chelsea tractor" argument in rural parts of Ireland here the roads are in such bad condition that a SUV is a viable choice.

Is somebody that drives an SUV as the only car in a family any better or worse for the nevironment than a family that has two or more "normal" cars?

Check this list:
    http://www.comcar.co.uk/newcar/companycar/poolresults/gresults.cfm?clk=1&OType=Make

How many of those cars are SUVs? Not as many as you thought.

If we're talking about fuel efficiency and emissions then we need to focus on better fuels and engines. Targeting a single type of car is pointless and stupid.

The new motor tax based on CO2 is a good idea in principle in that it will force the manufacturers to come up with more efficient less polluting vehicles.

• Advertisement

cornbb wrote: »
    Then why aren't similar feelings had against drivers of Ferarris, Maseratis, other high-end cars? Sure, a lot of people are jealous of BMW, Merc drivers etc, but there is nothing there like the feelings against SUV drivers. Its not simple begrudgery. The simple truth is that while SUVs are probably great for the people who drive them, they are an absolute pain in the hole for other road users, the reasons for that have been repeated in this thread already. Hence the impression that, on average, SUV drivers are more selfish than other road users.

just another arguement, similar to "all boy racers" "women drivers" etc etc boring at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

kceire wrote: »
    i bought mine because its a V8 petrol, and i like them thats it.....

no big head, no fat ass (well its a little chubby, have to work out a bit :D), no kids, no wife, no soccar mom, i havent got money to burn, just have a normal job, not showing off, because i know people that have spent more money on a focus or a golf that what i spent on my jeep.....i just like them.

Fair enough!!! I hereby declare you not ignorant, not selfish and not a muppet, as long as you promise to drive (and park) it properly :) (kidding)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

some people will get their knickers in a twist over just about anything :)

suv-scum, isn't it great to be rich and with so few cares in the world that you actually have time to get pissed off about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

C_Breeze wrote: »
    What exactly is the problem with Jeeps? ... if a deisel XC90 puts out the same co2 as a sallon petrol mondeo for example why are people bashing SUV's ???? Am i missing something, because other than that i'd have to agree with MercMad and say it is just irish begrudgery
    The problems I have with them have nothing to do with CO2. They obstruct my field of vision more than a car, and they're dangerous to pedestrians and other road users. Also, they tend to be driven and parked with little consideration for other road users.

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    Fair enough!!! I hereby declare you not ignorant, not selfish and not a muppet, as long as you promise to drive (and park) it properly :) (kidding)

LOL i promise i will :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    The problems I have with them have nothing to do with CO2. They obstruct my field of vision more than a car, and they're dangerous to pedestrians and other road users. Also, they tend to be driven and parked with little consideration for other road users.

so similar to being behind an artic truck or a transit van.......will we ban them next, what ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

People would love to act like that towards drivers of expensive cars and they often do, but the difference is the green mob has given people an veil hide behind to SUV bash that doesn't make them look like the jealous little sh*ts they are.

just another arguement, similar to "all boy racers" "women drivers" etc etc boring at this stage.

Well its also a matter of black and white figures, like higher Co2 emissions, lower NCAP ratings, larger parking spaces required...

No-one's accusing you of doing anything dangerous specifically kceire, if you can afford an X5 and drive it responsibly more power to you. But attitudes like Triangle's below seem to be pretty popular among SUV drivers and many drivers of smaller cars like myself will have had experiences of almost being bullied off the road by an SUV driver at one time or another.

i bought mine because its a V8 petrol, and i like them thats it......
    If you like the V8 in an X5 then you'd love it in a car.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Point taken but it hardly warrants hatred and vandalism :confused: ... and what about White vans and other large vehicles that are on our roads? .. To me - white van drivers display exactly the same if not worse driving skills (or lack thereof) than what you've mentioned about SUV drivers

Well its also a matter of black and white figures, like higher Co2 emissions, lower NCAP ratings, larger parking spaces required...

No-one's accusing you of doing anything dangerous specifically kceire, if you can afford an X5 and drive it responsibly more power to you. But attitudes like Triangle's below seem to be pretty popular among SUV drivers and many drivers of smaller cars like myself will have had experiences of almost being bullied off the road by an SUV driver at one time or another.

I understand very well, i nearly get creamed everyday on the bike going to work by cars its unbelievable, and its always the same bunch of people....taxi's, reps, middle aged women....no offence to anybody :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Not ONE single anti 'SUV' argument makes an ounce of sense here.

Nearly EVERY single vehicle on the market has a greener alternative, and the alternative to the greenest is, public transport. So listing a car that has 2g of CO2 less is pointless.

Also, lets not forget freedom of choice. If I wanted a 7 seater I won't be picking a Ford Galaxy, because they can spontaneously combust. I won't be picking a Renault Espace because they are ugly.

My point regarding the anti-SUV brigade is;
    Why not pick on the real polluters? E.G. Where is the anti massive engined, hugely heavy executive car bandwagon. Or the needlessly powerful sports car brigade.

People would love to act like that towards drivers of expensive cars and they often do, but the difference is the green mob has given people an veil hide behind to SUV bash that doesn't make them look like the jealous little sh*ts they are.
    What green mob? My last car put out well over 300g/km, and my current one is a 3.2 flat 6. The only place where people are jealous of SUV drivers is in your head.

If you like the V8 in an X5 then you'd love it in a car.;)

thats not the first i heard that statement anan1, it would be nice alright. but i think this will be my last big engined car. starting to look at 2 litre diesels now, maybe an octavia VRs diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

dodgyme wrote: »
    SUV owners need to realise how much they are hated.

Only by people with obvious inferiority complexes.

• Advertisement

prospect wrote: »
    My point regarding the anti-SUV brigade is;
    Why not pick on the real polluters? E.G. Where is the anti massive engined, hugely heavy executive car bandwagon. Or the needlessly powerful sports car brigade.
    Because people don't hate SUV drivers on account of their CO2 figures?

What green mob? My last car put out well over 300g/km, and my current one is a 3.2 flat 6. The only place where people are jealous of SUV drivers is in your head.

M3????????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

There's also a very strong arguement about them being the only suitable vehicle for our notoriously bad national roads, main streets and back roads.

I was also nearly in an acident yesterday on a dual carriageway where i was in the overtaking lane and someone nearly t-boned the car i was overtaking. I had no idea what was going on except the car next to me lunged across the lanes. I could have done with the extra visibility then.

They're only worse WHEN they crash. How many SUV crashes have the readers seen? I've seen none.

SUV drivers are no more thoughtless on the road than van drivers, but there's no campaign against them? Begrudgery arguement holds up I think.

(PS, I still don't like them and wouldn't drive one)

So you think people are pissed off with SUVs because they can't afford to buy them? If I envy a car that is leagues out of my price range then I will lust after it and congratulate those who drive it, not slag the sh*t out of it. Your jealousy argument makes no sense.

prospect wrote: »
    Only by people with obvious inferiority complexes.
    I've been accused of many things in my time here, but never that!:D

M3????????
    911.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

So you think people are pissed off with SUVs because they can't afford to buy them? If I envy a car that is leagues out of my price range then I will lust after it and congratulate those who drive it, not slag the sh*t out of it. Your jealousy argument makes no sense.

I always took the piss out of a friend of mine with hippyish tendencies by saying 'it's a good thing I can't afford it cos I don't want it anyway'.

I think its the Asshole driving moreso than anything

Any tulip can get finance and buy pretty much any car they want.

Its not a money thing IMO, its how SUV drivers treat other drivers on the road

911.:)

aghhh the penny drops!

nice :cool:

• Advertisement

There's also a very strong arguement about them being the only suitable vehicle for our notoriously bad national roads, main streets and back roads.

Bad roads ?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA ... Mate, go to Europe and drive around, they are FAR worse ..

Drive through Antwerp and your teeth will have rattled out of your head.

I think your coming up with the argument that was around 10 years ago. Irish roads are better than alot of European countries roads, except we have less motorway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement