Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SUV Scum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

But low. Especially compared to an SUV.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

RobAMerc wrote: »
    people dont like SUV's because they are jealous begrudging bast*rds - its as simple as that

Ask yourself this question: which car does the average person like least / hate most:

1. €80k SUV
    2. €120k saloon
    3. €300k sports car

The answer is not 2. It's not even 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Anan1 wrote: »
    Because people don't hate SUV drivers on account of their CO2 figures?

So why do you hate all 'SUV' drivers.

Why would you make such a rash sweeping generalisation about a large number of people whom you don't even know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

cornbb wrote: »
    So you think people are pissed off with SUVs because they can't afford to buy them? If I envy a car that is leagues out of my price range then I will lust after it and congratulate those who drive it, not slag the sh*t out of it. Your jealousy argument makes no sense.
    Yep, same here. There's a long list of cars I'm jealous of (their drivers): CLK and S Class Merc, 7 series BMWs, brand new lime green convertible Saabs (or any colour really), Audi A6 and A8s, Porsches, Maseratis, Bentleys, Chryslers, and many many more. But when I see them I admire them and don't hate them a bit. But I have never bean jealous of any SUV and never admired them. So the jealousy argument doesn't really hold...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

ok if my jealousy argument doesn't hold true.....

I drove a fiat cinquecento around dublin for a year.

And every twat in every car type possible tried. So the problem is not SUV drivers - its drivers in general, but people hate the SUV drivers because they have the bigger car is that it ?

Because in my opinion most of the folk who complain about the behavior would do exactly the same if they had a car big enough.

And lets not forget the point of the thread - no matter what you make of SUV's theres no excuse for defacing one is there ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

I drove a fiat cinquecento around dublin for a year.
    Don't get me started on those f*cking cinquecento drivers!!! ;)

prospect wrote: »
    So why do you hate all 'SUV' drivers.

Why would you make such a rash sweeping generalisation about a large number of people whom you don't even know?
    Come on, prospect, read before typing. I don't. And I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

RobAMerc: You're right, it is completely wrong to vandalise any car and it is wrong to tar a whole class of drivers with the same brush. Also, I have nothing against any SUV I see towing a horsebox or caked in mud from top to bottom. Its the bullying, selfish attitudes held by the likes of Triangle that I can't stand. And yes, drivers of all sorts of vehicles do the same, but from the personal experience of a lot of people it seems to be worst among SUV drivers.

I don't think its really a size issue either. I drive a Corolla - in Paris this would be considered a large car, in LA it would be considered a tiny car. Maybe its not the fact that SUVs are "big" cars isn't the issue, maybe its the fact that they are usually far bigger than what is necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070530.wh-crash2-0531/BNStory/specialGlobeAuto
    The changes were deemed necessary because collisions between an SUV, pickup or minivan and a car kill more people than car-to-car collisions, statistics show.

Interestingly, when all types of crashes are considered, occupants of SUVs and pickups actually have a higher death rate than car occupants. This is mainly because sport utilities and pickups are more likely to roll over when they strike another vehicle, a curb or a guard rail, or if they miss a turn or
    swerve.

I thought was interesting, especially the bit in bold

but people hate the SUV drivers because they have the bigger car is that it ?

Because in my opinion most of the folk who complain about the behavior would do exactly the same if they had a car big enough.
    No, RobAMerc, that's not it either. My last car was bigger and faster than most SUVs. I've already told you what my problem with them is, and others have too. Why are you having so much trouble bringing yourself to believe us?:)

• Advertisement

The way I see it is:

Everyone is entitled to drive what they like.

SUV's are no more dangerous than most other vehicles on the roads.
    SUV's are not more dangerous to the environment than most other vehicles.
    A fair portion of SUV drivers are ignorant baxtards, likewise for any other vehicle.

The problem here is bandwagon jumping. SUV's in the states got a bad name in the early 90's. They were massive, dangerous and very polluting. These machines were in the 3 tonne league and with 5 and 6 litre PETROL engines, doing about 15mpg.
    The un-educated environmentalists and drama-queens here adopted that attitude and applied it to the European market equivalents. However, a 2.2 Litre Diesel Santa-Fe is a completely differnet machine.
    This, imo, is how the Anti SUV thing started.

The way I see it is:

A fair portion of SUV drivers are ignorant baxtards, likewise for any other vehicle.

The problem here is bandwagon jumping. SUV's in the states got a bad name in the early 90's. They were massive, dangerous and very polluting. These machines were in the 3 tonne league and with 5 and 6 litre PETROL engines, doing about 15mpg.
    The un-educated environmentalists and drama-queens here adopted that attitude and applied it to the European market equivalents. However, a 2.2 Litre Diesel Santa-Fe is a completely differnet machine.
    Surely you are not seriously trying to tell us that SUVs are no more dangerous than cars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

dodgyme wrote: »
    what happens when you are plastered to the ground by one walking across the road? Is that now your personal safety first. Also SUV are not safer, that is a myth like your excuses.

They are much safer in a side impact because you are above whatever is hitting you however they are no safer than a car in any other situation and are more likely to be involved in a rollover scenario for instance because their centre of gravity is much higher than a car. It's swings and roundabouts really so what your saying overall is completely true.

Surely you are not seriously trying to tell us that SUVs are no more dangerous than cars?

To quote yourself,

"Read before typing"

I said vehicles.

Having said that, I would say if you would be pretty fecked if you are hit by a either Hyundai Tuscon a 50Mph or a Bently Continental at 50mph.

To quote yourself,

"Read before typing"

I said vehicles.
    So these SUV drivers would otherwise be going around in what? Fire engines? Tractors? That's right, prospect, they'd be driving cars. And we would be safer for it.

What about a tank? :-)
    Wrong. Blatently wrong. I don't even waste my time and energy explaining why!
    Correct!
    Correct. Apart from the fact that that portion is significantly higher in SUVs that normal sensible cars.

True, they are no worse to environment that many ordinary innocent looking cars. My car in fact pollutes the environment as much -if not more- than a SUV. However, while not necessarily safer to their own occupant (as the case in Santa Fe) they make the roads a lot more unsafe for other users for obvious reasons (apart from Volvo XC90! with its "soft" outer shell). Also as they are bigger they need more skill to drive/park, which most of people driving them don't have. Problem is the attitude that goes with them ("More safety for me at the expense of your safety" which isn't even true - as opposed to "safety for me and you" - like a Volvo V70 or a Mercedes, or even a Ford C-Max or a Renault Laguna or any normal car!)

Morris Minor 2800 vs a Santa Fe ....

I think the Morris Minor would rip through it like tin foil

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Gegerty wrote: »
    I've also heard SUV drivers try to justify it by saying they are safer, as in if you have an accident you're less likely to get hurt.....showing total disregard for any poor bastard who is hit by an SUV.

And that argument becomes increasingly weaker as more 4WD-SUV-Jeep-high rise-corner-lungers (whatever you like to call 'em) make their way onto Irish roads. Who comes off worse when 2 SUVs collide?

If everyone buys an SUV, then we'll all be safe (horaay!)........ until someone buys a tank to drive little Johnny to school :rolleyes:

DC.

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    Wrong. Blatently wrong. I don't even waste my time and energy explaining why!

Really,

What about a Truck, or a box Van, what about a vintage Rolls Royce, a Bus. Maybe a Tractor, or even a JCB.

Really,

What about a Truck, or a box Van, what about a vintage Rolls Royce, a Bus. Maybe a Tractor, or even a JCB.

Truck is under a different category of license and requires experience and testing in that vehicle.

White van man drives like an ass

Vintage roll royce... well .. i think he sort of would be careful driving a vintage car

Bus, same thing as i said for Truck license

Tractor .. wouldnt be going fast enough

JCB .. same thing again with the license

• Advertisement

What about a tank? :-)

If it is road legal, then yes.

E92 wrote: »
    Let me get this straight. You're talking about going from a V8 rumble and gorgeous growl and the superior refinement of 8 cylinders to a 4 cylinder clattering rattling noisy diesel? A bit extreme really. Why not stick with BMW since you already have one and go for something like an E39 540i? There was a 00 one on sale for €7,500 not so long ago. Or if you have (a lot) more money downsize and get a BMW 335i, more power than an X5 4.4i(before it was facelifted in 2004 I think it was) and 31 mpg(so almost a 100% improvement on the V8 X5) and even better(IMO) straight 6 sound.

Rattly noisy Diesel .. yesh ... ehh .. how many germans drive a diesel ... ? :)

Really,

Passenger vehicles.
    You can't haul 10 tonnes of goods in a car, so you need trucks.
    You can, however, transport 5-7 people in a car.

In fairness your argument makes no sense, and you are trying to muddy the water with your silly examples. We're talking about passenger cars here. The SUV driver -as some other poster pointed out- wouldn't be driving a JCB or a vintage Rolls Royce if he couldn't drive a SUV, he would drive a normal passenger car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Thats exactly whats happened - and the fools using the "Gas Guzzler" moniker annoy me most.

Anan1 - I absolutely hate stereotyping - it drives me nuts that people call certain types of cars girls cars, or convertibles hairdressers cars, or Mercs old peoples cars - and calling all SUV owners wan*ers is exactly the same.

Really,

Honestly, prospect, nobody's that stupid. People drive SUVs as an alternative to cars. Not buses, tractors or JCBs, but cars. And SUVs are less safe than cars. Which part of this are you having trouble with?

craichoe wrote: »
    Truck is under a different category of license and requires experience and testing in that vehicle.

White van man drives like an ass

Vintage roll royce... well .. i think he sort of would be careful driving a vintage car

Bus, same thing as i said for Truck license

Tractor .. wouldnt be going fast enough

JCB .. same thing again with the license

All based on assumption.

SUV's require a licence also.

AFAIK Tractors & JCB's don't require a driving test, and people as young as 16 can drive them legally. Also alot of these machines are capable of speeds of up to 45Mph. I wouldn't like to be hit by a tractor doing 45MPh.

So,
    All these points are pretty much crap.

Honestly, prospect, nobody's that stupid. People drive SUVs as an alternative to cars. Not buses, tractors or JCBs, but cars. And SUVs are less safe than cars. Which part of this are you having trouble with?

The part that implies it is okay for unsafe Trucks, buses etc to be on the road, but not 'seemingly' unsafe SUVs.

I am still waiting for ONE SINGLE VALID argument that says they should not be allowed.

Thats exactly whats happened - and the fools using the "Gas Guzzler" moniker annoy me most.

Anan1 - I absolutely hate stereotyping - it drives me nuts that people call certain types of cars girls cars, or convertibles hairdressers cars, or Mercs old peoples cars - and calling all SUV owners wan*ers is exactly the same.
    I completely agree, and i'm not. There are people out there who genuinely need SUVs. But we all know that there are also many, many people out there who drive them even though they don't. And those people are, to use our newly-coined expression, SUV scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

craichoe wrote: »
    Rattly noisy Diesel .. yesh ... ehh .. how many germans drive a diesel ... ? :)

47% of new cars sold there were diesel this year. Look at my(now deleted) post again. He was talking about a VAG diesel, which as anyone who has experienced will tell you is an old school diesel in terms of noise and clatter.

• Advertisement

Passenger vehicles.
    You can't haul 10 tonnes of goods in a car, so you need trucks.
    You can, however, transport 5-7 people in a car.

In fairness your argument makes no sense, and you are trying to muddy the water with your silly examples. We're talking about passenger cars here. The SUV driver -as some other poster pointed out- wouldn't be driving a JCB or a vintage Rolls Royce if he couldn't drive a SUV, he would drive a normal passenger car.

LOL,

So if you kids is in a coma in hospital with a broken neck, (god forbid that would ever happen), you'll be thinking, "Well at least he needed his truck"!!!

What a load of tripe. No vehicle ever killed someone, the driver does it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement