Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SUV Scum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

prospect wrote: »
    All based on assumption.

SUV's require a licence also.

AFAIK Tractors & JCB's don't require a driving test, and people as young as 16 can drive them legally. Also alot of these machines are capable of speeds of up to 45Mph. I wouldn't like to be hit by a tractor doing 45MPh.

So,
    All these points are pretty much crap.

AFAIK if you want to bring a Tractor or JCB onto a public road you do need a license.. I can do what i like ... hell i could pull donuts in a 10 ton dump truck on private land if i like without a license.

SUV's are in the same category as cars .. but are different to drive than a car, handle like a piece of sh*t and are a balls to park. Its fine to use them in a setting they were designed for i.e. off road or on terrain their designed for. Having an SUV for city driving is like having a hang glider to go scuba diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

All based on assumption.

SUV's require a licence also.

AFAIK Tractors & JCB's don't require a driving test, and people as young as 16 can drive them legally. Also alot of these machines are capable of speeds of up to 45Mph. I wouldn't like to be hit by a tractor doing 45MPh.

So,
    All these points are pretty much crap.

No they are not. It's up to the reader of your post and other posts to judge which one's crap, and I doubt anyone with a shred of logic would have any doubt...

If a 16 y.o. doesn't need a license to drive a tractor it's wrong.
    But
    1. Two wrongs don't make a right.
    2. I don't see many of them in Blackrock or Greystones or Swords or Bray, and my family's safety is not threatened by them. I don't see any soccer moms or dads (especially a 16 year old one) driving their kid to school in a JCB or Tractor.

We've addresses your point before by pointing out to you that those you are comparing are not an alternative for a SUV and it's a seperate argument. If you lack the intellectual ability to grasp this simple logic then ... one more feather to the hat of the one who called SUV drivers "ignorant" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

dodgyme wrote: »
    I hate SUVs and I think that people who drive them are scum. I would stop short of agreeing with the vandalism but i think SUV owners need to realise how much they are hated.

Glad you would stop short of the vandalism, as you seem to be filled with hatred for SUV and their drivers.
    Just some of your posts from this thread, started by you, on the same subject.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055146687
    SUV drivers plain and simple are spanners, greedy foolish vain people who should have ingraved on there headstones when they die " here lays a greed, ignorance selfish moron - rest in peace --err"

I think drivers particularly of smaller cars should have signs like the "baby on board signs" saying "I hate SUVs" or "SUV's kill"

SUV owners are teh arseholes

the owners of these F88kers in these killing machines I cant help but look them in the eye (in dublin no go traffic you could nearly have a conversation) scan the monster

Problem when they get the car is they forget the journeys they can take on foot or bike. But want to show off their stupid big ego's in their stupid SUV. Thes people need a bit of insecurity councilling

I will have my SUV because my pen*s is small my wifes is too.

you can tell the are a g$b****e 100% if they drive an SUV

Ah ya keep killing the planet and being a selfish neaderthal

The making is in the man not the car. I dont need a Landcruiser to intimidate people. I am man enough not to need to intimidate people to feel like a man. I feel nothing but sorrow for the aggressive antics shown by you and your kind and they dont intimidate me, trust me on that one. You'd find out whan you's step outside the Landcruiser.

Ye SUV drivers make my sick - you tell us why you have them - all bogus excuses! and then tell us ye dont care if we dont like it and that we are jealous which is more rubbish.

Only daft ****ers are in the SUVs

Maybe you should try and concentrate more on some other aspect of your life.

Regards,
    Hifive (XC 90 owner)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

craichoe wrote: »
    AFAIK if you want to bring a Tractor or JCB onto a public road you do need a license.. .

I know you need a licence, what I said was a TEST. I dont think you need to do a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

LOL,

So if you kids is in a coma in hospital with a broken neck, (god forbid that would ever happen), you'll be thinking, "Well at least he needed his truck"!!!

What a load of tripe. No vehicle ever killed someone, the driver does it.

Prospect you typify the term SUV scum. I'm guessing you're driving on your provisional too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Very well reasoned contribution there!

I know, but true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

when i was a kid (im 23 so its not that long ago) all the mothers on the school run had fiesta's and other small "shopping Trolley" Cars only the kids who's parents had farm got picked up in 4X4's why is it when people start a family they automaticaly want a 4x4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I know you need a licence, what I said was a TEST. I dont think you need to do a test.

You get W when you get B i.e. Car ..

Thats soon to be gone though ! .. Moped is already gone !

Hifive wrote: »
    Glad you would stop short of the vandalism, as you seem to be filled with hatred for SUV and their drivers.
    Just some of your posts from this thread, started by you, on the same subject.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055146687

Regards,
    Hifive (XC 90 owner)

LOL I think he sums it up nicely :D

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    We've addresses your point before by pointing out to you that those you are comparing are not an alternative for a SUV and it's a seperate argument. If you lack the intellectual ability to grasp this simple logic then ... one more feather to the hat of the one who called SUV drivers "ignorant" :)

The trouble is your points/arguments don't carry any weight.

I say an SUV is no more dangerous than a Vintage Roller.

Your response is that you THINK a Roller driver would drive carefully. Hardly conclusive is it. You are assuming the Roller driver will drive carefully, you are assuming no component of the older car will cause it to have an accident, you are assuming the SUV driver will not drive carefully, you are overlooking the fact that modern cars have far more active and passive safety systems.

So, if that is the best argument you can make, don't bother joining your school/college/work debating team.

• Advertisement

Only by people with obvious inferiority complexes.

oh ya sure:rolleyes:

btw, I'm not arguing for banning SUVs at all, it's all in the hands of the drivers really, and in fairness there are many cases that they are justified (if you are a farmer / live in a remote and hard to access area / are a builder / ... ). But the arrogant and igonrant mindset that uses them at a cost to other people's safety in a highly urbanised area is what I'm complaining about. Nothing illegal, obviously.
    One good way to deal with it is somehow make them prohibitively expensive (i.e. higher tax) on the grounds of the higher risk they pose to public safety. How about a safety tax as well as CO2 tax!? :-) (kidding) But something like that would make sense. Those who really need them would still be exempt from that (farmers/builders would be taxed commercial vehicle rates which would still be low)

Gegerty wrote: »
    Prospect you typify the term SUV scum. I'm guessing you're driving on your provisional too.

Why, because i have dispelled all your misguided beliefes as BS/

I have a full clean licence for ten years now, poor guess, in keeping with your lack of general knowledge regarding the topic at hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

C_Breeze wrote: »
    What exactly is the problem with Jeeps? ... if a deisel XC90 puts out the same co2 as a sallon petrol mondeo for example why are people bashing SUV's ???? Am i missing something, because other than that i'd have to agree with MercMad and say it is just irish begrudgery
    I'm with you C-Breeze.

I really really don't get it. What the hell do people have against Jeeps ?

There are much worse juice burners going round the roads than a freegin XC90.

I'm not really into the yoke's myself. I have test driven one or two and would much rather the stability of a car. But, each to their own.

The trouble is your points/arguments don't carry any weight.

Your response is that you THINK a Roller driver would drive carefully. Hardly conclusive is it. You are assuming the Roller driver will drive carefully, you are assuming no component of the older car will cause it to have an accident, you are assuming the SUV driver will not drive carefully, you are overlooking the fact that modern cars have far more active and passive safety systems.

So, if that is the best argument you can make, don't bother joining your school/college/work debating team.

To quote our esteemed leader: "Are you deaf as well as stupid?" :)
    My argument wasn't that at all. My argument is that people don't drive their kids to school in vintage rolls royce, or a JCB. They are not a replacement for normal passenger car. SUV is. You have to compare like with like.

You are really on a mission to ignore any logic to prove your flawed comparison works, eh? :)

btw, I'm not arguing for banning SUVs at all, it's all in the hands of the drivers really,
    That was my point earlier. Drivers kill people, not cars. So it makes little difference what vehicle you drive.
    and in fairness there are many cases that they are justified (if you are a farmer / live in a remote and hard to access area / are a builder / ... ).
    So we all have to justify our purchases now? What kind of dictatorship would have that rule?

Hifive wrote: »

Regards,
    Hifive (XC 90 owner)
    Thanks for that, I have forgotten about that reply to another poster. Nice that you spend your time tracing the threads I forgot about and then quote them months later.

mmm maybe ...lol....lol again.... you should try and concentrate more on some other aspect of your life.
    :D

So we all have to justify our purchases now? What kind of dictatorship would have that rule?

No, but if you don't make an intelligent descision you'll have to fork out extra. Not a dictatorship, a democracy where the majority is against you.

Not at all, you should be able to purchase anything you like as long as it's legal. However, the cost of ownership should be prohibitively high to discourage the use of them as they make the roads (unnecceasirly) less safe for other users. Pretty much same argument as high tax for a 6L car (polluter pays). If you still think you need one to drive your kids from Monkstown to Seapoint and can afford it, there should be no stopping you! :)
    That's just a suggestion though, a very impractical one probably and a bit of wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

How many vintage rollers have you seen on the road compared to SUV's?

As has been mentioned, it takes more skill to effectively drive a SUV due to its increased size and weight. Personnally I'd like to see a seperate licence catagory for them on top of B.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

...The problem here is bandwagon jumping. SUV's in the states got a bad name in the early 90's. They were massive, dangerous and very polluting. These machines were in the 3 tonne league and with 5 and 6 litre PETROL engines, doing about 15mpg.
    The un-educated environmentalists and drama-queens here adopted that attitude and applied it to the European market equivalents. However, a 2.2 Litre Diesel Santa-Fe is a completely differnet machine.
    This, imo, is how the Anti SUV thing started.

That's exactly what happened.

A whole anti-suv movement started in the US in the 90's. Wheather you like it or not, it did have some basis as the yokes they were driving were completely OTT.

And the dinner party Greeners latched onto it over here...

"Ohhhh SUV's are killing the world man...."

FFS... Sure, most of what is being classed as SUV's here in Europe are, at best, oddly shaped cars.

To quote our esteemed leader: "Are you deaf as well as stupid?" :)
    My argument wasn't that at all. My argument is that people don't drive their kids to school in vintage rolls royce, or a JCB. They are not a replacement for normal passenger car. SUV is. You have to compare like with like.

You are really on a mission to ignore any logic to prove your flawed comparison works, eh? :)

Not really.

My point is simple. They are not as dangerous as most would believe.
    There are more dangerous VEHICLES on the road. What case can be made?

Also, with regard to your point about the Volumes on the road compared to JCB's etc. I would say two things:
    1. There are far more Turcks, Buses, JCB's, Tractors etc on the road.
    2. Another stereotype regarding SUV's is that they are for driving kids 200yds up the road to school in the morning. So they do not spend a lot of time on the road, do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

I have no qualms with SUV drivers.
    I personally hate inconsiderate (i'm the only one on the road) drivers.

I think anyone that has an SUV and has to explain why they have one , has already lost the battle.
    Emmisions from road vehicles are only a small percentage of the problem.(planes , fires , natural disasters etc).

There is an element of jealousy and those who have experienced bullies in SUV's and have applied this stigma to them all.

We have turned into a nation of naggers & complainers about other peoples interests/lives.:rolleyes:

The vandalists deserve prison , simple as.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

SUV are very Dangerous. They are to big and if you hit someone (person or car) you are going to cause alot of damage.

Aisde from that that driving attitude of alot of the people that "drive" SUV's is awful

They feel they own the road and can bully people off it. I dont know why anyone would buy 1 unless A) you drive off road alot (and im not talking about your driveway) or B) you need to tow something heavy like a boat or something that a car wouldnt really have the power to do.

They Drink petrol and cost a fortune to run on a day to day basis.

I'm not going to get into the emissions thing as I think thats a load of ****. if they really wanted CO2 emmissions down then they should build a nuclear power plant and close a few of the oil and coal burning plants down.

Also as regard public transport. please dont forget that buses have in and around 10-15L engines in them and run all day and the Diesel Trains have MONSTEROUS engines in them and are left running all day and all night. So dont be going on about how eco friendly public transport is... it aint that friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That was my point earlier. Drivers kill people, not cars. So it makes little difference what vehicle you drive.
    You really should tell the NCAP people. From what I hear, they're still labouring under the misapprehension that some cars are less safe than others.:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Gegerty banned for 1 week for abusive posting

?

not dropping kids to school!
    2. Another stereotype regarding SUV's is that they are for driving kids 200yds up the road to school in the morning. So they do not spend a lot of time on the road, do they?

ya you cant drop a child to school in an ordinary car. must be a traffic blocking suv mummy?

Not at all, you should be able to purchase anything you like as long as it's legal. However, the cost of ownership should be prohibitively high to discourage the use of them as they make the roads (unnecceasirly) less safe for other users. Pretty much same argument as high tax for a 6L car (polluter pays). If you still think you need one to drive your kids from Monkstown to Seapoint and can afford it, there should be no stopping you! :)
    That's just a suggestion though, a very impractical one probably and a bit of wishful thinking.

So would the Vintage Roller suffer this cost?

Also, lets be fair here, alot of SUV's have equivalent Passanger/Driver and pedestrian NCAP scores. And the difference between a 3 star and 4 star car is probably a broken arm.
    If you are hit by a 3 series BMW at 60mph, you are as good as dead.

Rav 4
    http://www.euroncap.com/tests/toyota_rav4_2006/258.aspx

3 Series BMW
    http://www.euroncap.com/tests/bmw_3_series_2005/225.aspx

Actually,
    Compare all the Large Family cars, very few equal or exceed the Rav 4's pedestrian score.

Not really.

My point is simple. They are not as dangerous as most would believe.
    There are more dangerous VEHICLES on the road. What case can be made?

Also, with regard to your point about the Volumes on the road compared to JCB's etc. I would say two things:

Well, they are. Higher impact point => Higher damage in collision because of the offset- unless it's engineered to counter that effect, like an XC90.

Ofcourse there are more dangerous cars than SUVs. There are tanks too, and lots of other scary things. But, for the last time, they are not a replacement for a PASSENGER CAR. You have to compare like with like. Are you really that thick that you can't grasp the difference between
    -a passenger vehicle (Car/SUV) and a construction vehicle (JCB)
    -a vitage car (vintage rolls royce) and an everyday car.

• Advertisement

You have to compare like with like. Are you really that thick that you can't grasp the difference between
    -a passenger vehicle (Car/SUV) and a construction vehicle (JCB)
    -a vitage car (vintage rolls royce) and an everyday car.

(In total agreement) I think he cant get it?????:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement