Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SUV Scum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

DonJose wrote: »
    Such hate! What do you drive and how much do you earn?

I dont drive an suv and my earning have nothing to do with what I drive.

All I hear as a response from the SUV crowd is if some gives outta about the size of them reply with JCB and van drivers, should we ban them etc etc - rubbish reponses.

Then off they go on the safety rant til that runs outta steam - them off they go with the begrudgy rant etc etc etc

Seems on every ground they have to defend themselves. But their arrogance will shine thru and the penny wont drop.

Rhiannon14 wrote: »
    *steps out from far left* As a self-proclaimed greenie, I'm not going down the CO2 route, though I think you'd have to be mental to tank up one of those puppies in any European country. Can any SUV driver tell me how much a full tank would cost you?

To my point, the only defense I've seen here that isn't rooted in complete ignorance is the simple, "I just like them." It is the WHY of this that I haven't seen successfully defended. Have consumers become so casual that they'll pick up the first car that seems to suit them without considering its impact on others? Cars are weapons! I wouldn't even step out in front of a Mini ;) Now the question is how can you buy a small truck without realising that it's going to give you an advantage over others? Even if you like the aesthetic of a car, more needs to be considered before walking away with a truck with bull bars on the grill and Yosemite Sam "BACK OFF" mudflaps.

Excellent post

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Rhiannon14 wrote: »
    *steps out from far left* As a self-proclaimed greenie, I'm not going down the CO2 route, though I think you'd have to be mental to tank up one of those puppies in any European country. Can any SUV driver tell me how much a full tank would cost you?

To my point, the only defense I've seen here that isn't rooted in complete ignorance is the simple, "I just like them." It is the WHY of this that I haven't seen successfully defended. Have consumers become so casual that they'll pick up the first car that seems to suit them without considering its impact on others? Cars are weapons! I wouldn't even step out in front of a Mini ;) Now the question is how can you buy a small truck without realising that it's going to give you an advantage over others? Even if you like the aesthetic of a car, more needs to be considered before walking away with a truck with bull bars on the grill and Yosemite Sam "BACK OFF" mudflaps.

Most of us are self-proclaimed greenies including myself. A landcruiser diesel is not a green car but the amount of them on the road doesn't amount to a big problem.

Usage is the key. If you're doing 40k km a year in a landcruiser, you need your head examined. If you're dong sub 10k km on teh school run, no biggy, let's not get on our high horse.

We shouldn't believe the propaganda from EITHER side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭nytraveller

When people mention the 'safety' factor in defending SUVs, are they saying they are safer because if they hit a micra they will come out the better?
    But what about the safety of sitting higher in the SUV than a car. Surely in a SUV on a busy motorway, you get to see a much clearer view of the road ahead and can therefore react quicker than the person in a car.

Not defending SUVs. Just trying to make another point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Ok so cornbb

I've yet to see a decent argument against SUV (personally, their ride/handling balance doesn't do it for me) but whatever floats your boat.

What about the green brigade, who in reality see the list of the cars you want in the same light as the list of suv's you don't want.

What you may be too blind to see at this point, is that the cars on your list, are just as bad as the suv's on your list. In many cases, because they are not as tall, they actually are longer, and take more space on the road.

Just because you think the X5 4.4 is pointless, and the 5 series 4.4 is brilliant, doesn't matter a jot - the difference between them is very little. One pollutes a load, and one pollutes small bit more.

After the anti suv thing is done to death, they'll be on to performance cars, then petrol cars, then race cars....you name it.

And you'll be back here complaining that it's so unfair, that the car you want to buy costs too much.

SUV's are based on the car equivalent floorpans, engines - the works. Probably 70% the same as the cars you like.

Some people may have three kids, but they don't fit in the back of an R8.
    Heaven forbid, you might be in that position one day and lets see what you buy then.

I left ireland for these very reasons - where i live now, I can buy and m5 for 67,000 euro - it's 144,000 in ireland (before the new taxes mind you!)

Let the greens go on, and the only big bmw that'll be sold in ireland will be a 710d with 30hp.

Ireland doesn't have a car industry it can force change on, nor a market big enough to make bugger all difference to the world environmental concerns.

All this nonsense does is give the chattering classes something to be upset about, and sells a few papers. "Gas Guzzling SUV!"
    Since when do we call petrol gas - pulled straight from the us tabloids.
    Get the middle class upset about something - sell a few papers.

The cars on your list are getting killed just as much as the suv's with the new taxes.

Hopefully all irish motoring enthusiasts will realise that an attack on one is an attack on all, before all cars are taxed out of existence, instead of bickering between themselves, and missing the point that they are collectively getting ridden by their own government.

Motorists are the new smokers, and the anti sentiment from the public on SUV's encourages the gov to raise taxes on all cars - how they must laugh when the middle class are so stoked up about something that they welcome new taxes!

Best thing you guys could do, is stop fighting about the stupid suv arguement, and spend your time attacking the new taxes, stop prepetuating the myth that, suv's are bad - mkkkay, that is believed by the masses as it suits their begrudgery.

They make ownership of any interesting cars in ireland a daft proposition, a problem every car fanatic faces, no matter what they like.

• Advertisement

prospect wrote: »
    How so?
    correction, some people hate them.

yes for good reason
    No more so than any large family car, MPV or executive car.

You need to spend some time in paris or rome where most people drive smart cars i.e. cars that fit the environment. You may learn something
    That issue would be with your driving ability/conifidence.

Ok get rid of you suv and driver around in a smart car with an SUV up your arse and see how you like it. Again your response is typical of an SUV driver. I have driven in Africa, europe and asia. My ability to drive is fine thank you.
    Simply a result of the light angle being set wrong, same applies to many cars, and all those who insist driving with their fog lights on. .
    no simply the result of having a big SUV up your arse at sun down. They are higher then a normal car if you havent noticed.
    No more so than any other car being driven in the same dangerous manner.
    wrong
    So basically, you will not consider anything that proves you wrong..

ya you have really soaked up the points make against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

cancan wrote: »
    Ok so cornbb

I've yet to see a decent argument against SUV (personally, their ride/handling balance doesn't do it for me) but whatever floats your boat.

What about the green brigade, who in reality see the list of the cars you want in the same light as the list of suv's you don't want.

What you may be too blind to see at this point, is that the cars on your list, are just as bad as the suv's on your list. In many cases, because they are not as tall, they actually are longer, and take more space on the road.

Just because you think the X5 4.4 is pointless, and the 5 series 4.4 is brilliant, doesn't matter a jot - the difference between them is very little. One pollutes a load, and one pollutes small bit more.

After the anti suv thing is done to death, they'll be on to performance cars, then petrol cars, then race cars....you name it.

And you'll be back here complaining that it's so unfair, that the car you want to buy costs too much.

SUV's are based on the car equivalent floorpans, engines - the works. Probably 70% the same as the cars you like.

Heaven forbid, you might be in that position one day and lets see what you buy then.

I left ireland for these very reasons - where i live now, I can buy and m5 for 67,000 euro - it's 144,000 in ireland (before the new taxes mind you!)

Let the greens go on, and the only big bmw that'll be sold in ireland will be a 710d with 30hp.

Ireland doesn't have a car industry it can force change on, nor a market big enough to make bugger all difference to the world environmental concerns.

All this nonsense does is give the chattering classes something to be upset about, and sells a few papers. "Gas Guzzling SUV!"

The cars on your list are is getting killed just as much as the suv's with the new taxes.

Hopefully all irish motoring enthusiasts will realise that an attack on one is an attack on all, before all cars are taxed out of existence, instead of bickering between themselves, and missing the point that they are collectively getting ridden by their own government.

Motorists are the new smokers, and the anti sentiment from the public on SUV's encourages to raise taxes on all cars - how they must laugh when the middle class are so stoked up about something that they welcome new taxes!

I find your views intriguing and wish to subsribe to your newsletter:)

So we are divided between those who hate them for irrational reasons and those who are informed enough to realise they're not worth legislating against or getting upset about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I dont drive a SUV, but I notice that if you are male and the back windows in your SUV are blocked out there seems to be no problem.

If you are female and driving the same type SUV you are scum. It smacks of sexism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

^^^^^^^Totally agree with Cancan!^^^^^^^^

Where you living now that an M5 is so cheap? I'm moving to the UK next year where a year old RS4 can be had for 45K sterling. More like 110,000 euro here!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Which is more eco-friendly? A Humvee or a SUV?

Thinking of getting a Humvee. Will keep a baseball bat in the back, in case I catch some toe rag keying it:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

dodgyme wrote: »
    I dont drive an suv and my earning have nothing to do with what I drive.

All I hear as a response from the SUV crowd is if some gives outta about the size of them reply with JCB and van drivers, should we ban them etc etc - rubbish reponses.

Then off they go on the safety rant til that runs outta steam - them off they go with the begrudgy rant etc etc etc

Seems on every ground they have to defend themselves. But their arrogance will shine thru and the penny wont drop.

Then compile a list of reasons you think SUV's should be banned? I'd really like to read that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

if i could afford an SUV, i'd buy one, even though i love to hate them and the space they waste :p

Preferably i'd buy one with leather seats and zenon lights and huge amounts of space for everyone.

Why? Because i like space and to be better than everyone else. We all probably don't need a 4 bedroom house, we could get by with a 2 bedroom, but it's the extra space and comfort that matters.

It's simply a case of jealousy and people won't admit it. It's the old Irish way of chopping everyone down to 'our level', rather than trying to work our way up to match 'their level'.

Widen parking spaces - that's my solution :)

astraboy wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^Totally agree with Cancan!^^^^^^^^

Where you living now that an M5 is so cheap? I'm moving to the UK next year where a year old RS4 can be had for 45K sterling. More like 110,000 euro here!

US

Here is a list of cars with their Irish price in Euros, and their us price in euros.

Trust me - the irish motorist has bigger problems than suv's, so give this bloody arguement a rest!

IRE/EURO US/EURO
    Q7 4.2 FSI 100000 39726
    S8 140000 63904
    R8 159000 75342
    S4 84480 33295
    BMW M3 103900 43151
    M5 144350 51967
    X5 4.8ltr 103850 37329
    m6 167800 71986
    Range Rover 4.2 V8146400 48750
    Lexus LS 430 117500 42123
    Lexus Rx 400h 74193 29164
    Mx5 33895 17808
    Merc ML 63 AMG 145970 58562
    SL 500 158925 65274
    Astin Martin V8 Vanage 190000 75342
    GT3 177800 72603
    Turbo 220250 84178
    Mini Coopser s 28900 13699
    STI 61000 23630
    Toerag V10 TDI 107940 40507
    4.2 Toerag 89770 29527

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

smemon wrote: »
    if i could afford an SUV, i'd buy one, even though i love to hate them and the space they waste :p

Preferably i'd buy one with leather seats and zenon lights and huge amounts of space for everyone.

Why? Because i like space and to be better than everyone else. We all probably don't need a 4 bedroom house, we could get by with a 2 bedroom, but it's the extra space and comfort that matters.

It's simply a case of jealousy and people won't admit it. It's the old Irish way of chopping everyone down to 'our level', rather than trying to work our way up to match 'their level'.

Agree. People on this forum WILL say its not jelousy but the majority of anamosity towards SUVs is jelousy and it is flamed by the media.

OOOO, touch an SUV at 5mph and you'll surely die.

10 polar bears are killed for every SUV on Irish roads. Etc etc. Get over it, let people drive what they want once it does not effect you. If they are bad drivers then please feel free to let them know it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

Agree. People on this forum WILL say its not jelousy but the majority of anamosity towards SUVs is jelousy and it is flamed by the media.

OOOO, touch an SUV at 5mph and you'll surely die.

10 polar bears are killed for every SUV on Irish roads. Etc etc. Get over it, let people drive what they want once it does not effect you. If they are bad drivers then please feel free to let them know it!

Agreed.
    As i said we have turned into a nation of moaners and begrudgers of those who may be better off than others , whether spoonfed or hard earned , makes no difference any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

dodgyme wrote: »
    I hate SUVs and I think that people who drive them are scum. I would stop short of agreeing with the vandalism but i think SUV owners need to realise how much they are hated.

Half you lot have your head so far up your own arses on this one, you'll never see the big picture.

People who drive SUV's aren't scum. I currently own a Volvo estate, but will soon be buying another 'SUV' to replace the one that was written off during the summer. Will I become scum? You decide....

I'll sell the Volvo. It's a 1.8 V40
    I'll buy a 2.0 Diesel 4WD 'jeep' type car
    I'll use it as my only car
    I'll drive it to the city centre, shopping etc
    It'll be kept immaculately, like any other car I've owned
    It'll spend it's time driving me around South Dublin suburbs, along the M50 carpark etc.

WTF do I need one? Can you, with that apparently narrow little mind, possibly comprehend a reason? No? No idea, eh? I'm scum of course. Shiny, clean 4x4 outside the house when I could drive a little hatchback. Yeah, I'm scum.

And I'm on call 24x7x365 with a mountain rescue team, an entirely voluntary occupation, with no financial or material rewards. Every cent of the fuel bill, equipment and the like comes from our own pockets. I had a little Suzuki 4x4 previously, and it was a terrible loss really. I've grounded my volvo estate twice on shouts. The boot's constantly full to the gills with hill kit, mucky boots etc. God help me if I've to get through the Sally Gap or the Wicklow Gap during the winter in the Volvo.

Yeah, I'm scum.

Oh, you're making an exception now, are you? What would you say to me if I bought an 'SUV', kept it clean and protected my investment/resale value instead of leaving it as a grotty manky heap dropping mud all over the place, were it to be vandalised? Well?

:rolleyes:

Narrow minded idiots abound. Don't be one, Dodgyme. Understand people have reasons for what they do beyond what you might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

cornbb wrote: »
    Don't you think its possible that your obvious disregard for the safety of other road users will lead you or your wife driving without as much care as you would otherwise? Since when is the attitude that "if I'm inside a huge sturdy metal box me and mine will be fine, so screw other road users" a sensible approach to road safety? Your attitude shocks me.

P.S. the Santa Fe only has a 3 star rating for child occupants (a lower rating than the Cmax) and zero stars for pedestrians: http://www.euroncap.com/tests/hyundai_santa_fe_2006/273.aspx :mad:

Cornbb
    Maybe i should explain a bit better.

The lives of my children are more important to me than lives of people i do not know. This does not mean i will pile my children in a tank and start running over and shooting people. To even try and pull this type of comment out of my previous post is unbelievable.

It's simple nature - if you have a choice over a young family member or some other person, the family member will come first every time. This is FACT for the majority of family people. It is simple nature.

This does not mean you will drive fast or recklessly or without consideration to other people.

The Santa Fe we have has a four star rating and only looses one star due to the danger when hitting a pedestrian. This is a safe car for my family.
    http://www.euroncap.com/tests/hyundai_santa_fe_2002/147.aspx

The danger with most MPV's like the Cmax is due to the sloping bonnet it usually goes further underneath another vehicle in an accident. This is not a car I would advise people to drive. This is NOT tested in Encap as they run it into a wall!!!!

To say that you would drive the most unsafe car to the driver, but most safe to pedistrians is unbelievable and I would like to see you put your words into action. The whole idea of someone willingly taking this danger is preposterous, I think you need to get some self respect!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

Ireland's not big enough to accommodate your lot :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

I drive a land rover Defender 110 possibly one of the biggest SUV's on the market and its cool because Jeremy Clarkeson said so. :D

However it is also an essential tool required for pulling trailers and crossing muddy land.(and the rough terrain that is known as Navan Streets).

Sure it is more dangerous than a car esspecially if driven by a muppet.
    But you need to worry more about the boy racer down the road who drives at 90mph on every road in a silly little GT starlet.

Personly I rarley travel at over 50mph, never tailgate the person in front of me and I am always courtieous to other drivers.

My Defender fits in a standered parking space. Although I take the point about people who are unable to achive this, but I would also doubt that any one who cannot parallel park a jeep can parrallel park anything. And I've even seen a Fiesta take up four spaces in a car park.

And to say that all SUV drivers are agressive selfish drivers is just nonsence. Every day I see dangerous driving in every sort of viechle, there are even lorry drivers who should not be allowed on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Triangle wrote: »
    Cornbb
    Maybe i should explain a bit better.

The lives of my children are more important to me than lives of people i do not know. This does not mean i will pile my children in a tank and start running over and shooting people. To even try and pull this type of comment out of my previous post is unbelievable.

It's simple nature - if you have a choice over a young family member or some other person, the family member will come first every time. This is FACT for the majority of family people. It is simple nature.

This does not mean you will drive fast or recklessly or without consideration to other people.

The Santa Fe we have has a four star rating and only looses one star due to the danger when hitting a pedestrian. This is a safe car for my family.

The danger with most MPV's like the Cmax is due to the sloping bonnet it usually goes further underneath another vehicle in an accident. This is not a car I would advise people to drive. This is NOT tested in Encap as they run it into a wall!!!!

To say that you would drive the most unsafe car to the driver, but most safe to pedistrians is unbelievable and I would like to see you put your words into action. The whole idea of someone willingly taking this danger is preposterous, I think you need to get some self respect!!

No YOU have missed the point.

Santa Fe NCAP, (if it's the 2006 model....wouldn't like to wonder about the 2002)

C-Max

the C-Max is safer for your kids!!

that said the Prius is better than both and that's just a regular l/b shape

• Advertisement

C-Max/Sante Fe - who bloody cares.
    They both burn petrol, and they both get taxed to within an inch of their lives.

If everyone minded their own business and lived and let live, it would be a far nicer country.

Personally I think most of the cars owned by members of this forum are junk, but if they float their boat, enjoy them.

I have no business telling you what you should drive, just as you should have no business telling others what they should drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Triangle wrote: »
    This does not mean i will pile my children in a tank and start running over and shooting people. To even try and pull this type of comment out of my previous post is unbelievable.

I didn't say that, don't put words in my mouth

Not as safe as the C-Max, a car you refused to get instead of the Santa Fe because you were falsely under the impression that it is safer as demonstrated by me and several other posters.

I didn't say that either, don't put words in my mouth. I demonstrated that the Santa Fe is not as safe as you claim by linking to widely accepted test results. This applies to both pedestrians and the occupants of the car. I don't feel strongly about SUVs or SUV drivers, I think its wrong to generalise. But it was your earlier post in the thread that compelled me to write. It is attitudes like yours, the obvious disregard for other road users, that wrongly gives all SUV drivers a bad name.

cornbb wrote: »
    For your benefit:

So the jealousy/begrudgery argument doesn't hold. Would you care to back up your opinions cancan, would you prefer to keep refusing to read the thread and develop an informed opinion, or do we have to go through the whole thing with you again?

Don't forget to respond to me - I responded and all just like you asked.

cancan wrote:
    Don't forget to respond to me - I responded and all just like you asked.

Yes, I see you abandoned the begrudgery argument.
    Ok so cornbb

The cars on your list are getting killed just as much as the suv's with the new taxes.

Motorists are the new smokers, and the anti sentiment from the public on SUV's encourages the gov to raise taxes on all cars - how they must laugh when the middle class are so stoked up about something that they welcome new taxes!

Best thing you guys could do, is stop fighting about the stupid suv arguement, and spend your time attacking the new taxes, stop prepetuating the myth that, suv's are bad - mkkkay, that is believed by the masses as it suits their begrudgery.

They make ownership of any interesting cars in ireland a daft proposition, a problem every car fanatic faces, no matter what they like.

Ok. I'm confused. I made no list, no references anywhere to 5 series or R8s, are you confusing me with someone else? All I see here is some sort of wandering rant about "the green brigade". Have you actually rebutted any part of my argument (i.e. that begrudgery is not the reason people dislike SUVs)?

You have spent your time on this thread telling us what we shouldn't drive.

So give us a list of cornb approved vehicles.

Anyway – back to begrudgery as you wished:

BEGRUDGERY

The main reason behind the begrudgery of SUV's, is feeling of smallness it gives all those who don't drive one.

Those who sit nice and high, appear to look down on others, and highlight a sence of inadequacy in others. This make joe public feel a bit of a failure.

Yummy mummies normally drive them, leading to all the ugly girls out there to despise the means of transport they associate with them.

Then their husbands have to listen to either:

a) Why can you get me a suv like the other yummy mummies.
    or
    b) Why can't your lazy ass afford me an SUV.

Now, most men have to listen to their wives whinging to the above, leading men to hate the bloody things too.

The sales of SUV's in ireland have exploded to such a degree, that the demand out there must be phenominal ie: Everyone secretly covets one, but obviously not everyone can afford one.

Que 7 month waiting lists for the nissan quahsig or whatever that miserable thing is. Why so long - cos it's cheap and crap but the closest thing the average punter can get to a proper SUV, which is what they really want.
    Any cheap crossover has huge waiting lists.

Given that the was majority of car buyers want an suv, and either :

a) can't afford one
    or
    b) can't afford a proper one

there is a large degree of resentment for those who actually can.
    These people are called the rich - most non rich people ie: poor, begrudge anyone with money cos it makes them and more importantly their wives feel inferior.
    It has been an irish trait since god made man.

Not being able to match their buying power, it is easier to resent the suv driver, while secretly coveting one.

If you could let everyone in ireland pick any car they wanted in the morning, I guarantee that at least 90% would pick a range rover or one of their ilk (or there wives would make them pick one, just like the engagement diamond trade...), succumbing to their internal desires.
    (the other 10% would be car nuts, and pick flash ferraris and the like).

Now, since 90% or the resentment for cars is directed at SUV's, yet the demand for them is sky high, this logically leads me to believe that 90% of the SUV feeling is:

drum roll please:

BEGRUDGERY.

(There might be a few genuine green people out there who make valid points and understand the mechanics of real environmental impact, maybe 5% of that)

DonJose wrote: »
    Then compile a list of reasons you think SUV's should be banned? I'd really like to read that.

I never said they should be banned. I think every possible method should be introduced to curb their use. It is no surprise that the ownership figures for them have shot up during the greedy affluent celtic tiger. And I have compiled many lists as to my opinions against them. If you scroll through this or other posts on the issue perhaps you should then respond but for now you are asking me to do what I have already done.

The only thing that is irish is your attitude. You need a trip to say denmark, where you''d be pushed to find one. Maybe that is because they are more mature then the assw*pes that want an SUV for no good reason just to show off or be up higher then everybody else in this country or maybe its because their tax system is geared against large vehicles. Whatever it is, its a good thing and this applies to alot of their attitude to life. Only in Ireland will the silly retarded and old-fashioned "jealousy" argument come in to it. You need to get out more.

let people drive what they want once it does not effect you. !

The road is a common space for all to use. It does affect me,

Gil_Dub wrote: »

Will I become scum? You decide....

yes you are scum if you dont need it

• Advertisement

BEGRUDGERY

The main reason behind the begrudgery of SUV's, is feeling of smallness it gives all those who don't drive one.

Maybe its the other way round and SUV drivers like the false sense of bigness it gives them? Dare I say it, maybe they are the ones who somehow require this inflated feeling of bigness in order to not feel inadequate?

I could buy a Transit van and sit high above everyone else but no-one would resent me for it.
    Those who sit nice and high, appear to look down on others, and highlight a sence of inadequacy in others. This make joe public feel a bit of a failure.

Yummy mummies normally drive them, leading to all the ugly girls out there to despise the means of transport they associate with them.

Then their husbands have to listen to either:

a) Why can you get me a suv like the other yummy mummies.
    or
    b) Why can't your lazy ass afford me an SUV.

Now, most men have to listen to their wives whinging to the above, leading men to hate the bloody things too.

The sales of SUV's in ireland have exploded to such a degree, that the demand out there must be phenominal ie: Everyone secretly covets one, but obviously not everyone can afford one.

Que 7 month waiting lists for the nissan quahsig or whatever that miserable thing is. Why so long - cos it's cheap and crap but the closest thing the average punter can get to a proper SUV, which is what they really want.
    Any cheap crossover has huge waiting lists.

Given that the was majority of car buyers want an suv, and either :

a) can't afford one
    or
    b) can't afford a proper one

there is a large degree of resentment for those who actually can.
    These people are called the rich - most non rich people ie: poor, begrudge anyone with money cos it makes them and more importantly their wives feel inferior.
    It has been an irish trait since god made man.

Not being able to match their buying power, it is easier to resent the suv driver, while secretly coveting one.

If you could let everyone in ireland pick any car they wanted in the morning, I guarantee that at least 90% would pick a range rover or one of their ilk (or there wives would make them pick one, just like the engagement diamond trade...), succumbing to their internal desires.
    (the other 10% would be car nuts, and pick flash ferraris and the like).

We've been through this already. People will typically dislike the driver of a €50k SUV far more than the driver of a €200k saloon or sportscar (90% of vitriol is directed at SUV drivers, according to your figure). Any of your points above could apply to drivers of other high range cars. But no, people don't dislike them anywhere as near as much as SUV drivers. So how do you explain that?
    Now, since 90% or the resentment for cars is directed at SUV's, yet the demand for them is sky high, this logically leads me to believe that 90% of the SUV feeling is:

drum roll please:

BEGRUDGERY.

Wow, your logic is flawless :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement