Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SUV Scum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

:D:D:D:D
    yup I begrudge and am jealous of SUV drivers!!!

I really want my car keyed and , every driver gunning for me........nah ill stick with my mini tbh, i can fit most things in a mini, that the irish suv driver puts in the huge suv. lol
    obviously some suv drivers are considerate and very goo road users, however the majority are plonkers, and the suv is in poetic terms 'imagary' of their ego/view on life....get the **** out of my way because im above you:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

ninty9er wrote: »
    No YOU have missed the point.

Santa Fe NCAP, (if it's the 2006 model....wouldn't like to wonder about the 2002)

C-Max

the C-Max is safer for your kids!!

that said the Prius is better than both and that's just a regular l/b shape

Please just follow the link i had - it points to a four star Santa Fe (Our Model) and due to the non sloping bonnet I believe this is a safer car. It's also higher up so if a smaller car hits it there should be less damage. Also, the driver can see more due to the height of the vehicle and should therfore have better awareness.

Not as safe as the C-Max, a car you refused to get instead of the Santa Fe because you were falsely under the impression that it is safer as demonstrated by me and several other posters.

They are both 4 star ratings. My belief is as above.

I have a duty to my children first. I do not drive carelessy, i have never had an accident, I do not drive a SUV (as my main vehicle) and my children AL - WAYS come first.

Cornbb - do you have children? It seems like you don't really understand the impact of having children under your responsibility. I wasn't looking for an argument, but saying people buying SUVs for safety is nonsense is wrong (imo) - I believe the Santa Fe is a far safer car than most MPV's on the market, and is hard to beat.
    This belief stems from the encap ratings (4 stars on the santa fe we have), the height, shape and build of it.

My wife does not drive it dangerously and is a very safe driver. I do give the point that it does make it harder to see round, but any big vehicle has this problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

Although I am Irish, I now live in the US, where cars run on gas and not every SUV is a Jeep. By the way, I live in Detroit, and yes - I work in the auto industry. I currently drive a Chrysler 300, and am seriously considering a Jeep Grand Cherokee before the end of the year. Americans will do anything to make money - including selling large vehicles in Ireland, and the tabloids that speak against them...at the same time. I have seen a lot of arguments on this thread, but I do not see most of them as being legitimate.

Let's talk about driving personalities, the environment, safety, aesthetic appeal, and cost.

Driving Personalities-
    Don't blame the SUVs for the bad drivers, I think bad drivers should be blamed for the SUVs. Bad drivers can't drive small cars. It doesn't matter what they do when they park because the car is so small when they park it's impossible to mess us, on the other hand, when they drive they get into accidents. Once they buy a large SUV, their poor parking jobs become more noticeable, but people become intimidated by 3 tons of steel barreling down the motorway. The intimidated drivers get out of the way, and the accident is avoided. Bad drivers know this, so they buy the SUV and make it popular. However, as stated time and time again - I don't think that all people that drive an SUV are poor drivers, SUVs just attract them more than a Mini would.

Environment-
    Here we go. I would not consider myself an activist, but I am rather green. That being said, I think congratulations are in order for the makers of SUVs. The mileage and CO2 emissions are now similar to a 'regular' car. In fact, the 2008 Cadillac Escalade 6.2L V8 (with hybrid option) has similar mileage and CO2 emissions as the 3.5L V6 Toyota Camry. Of course a SMART or MINI will get better emissions, but I think the real question should be: If the full-size SUVs can get that kind of rating from the US Environmental Protection Agency, why are the passenger cars so high? Pound-for-pound, on a percentage basis, the new SUVs actually beat out the small cars.

0000021018_CC_Escalade_ExtFrontSideLarge_BlackRaven.jpg

Safety-
    Yep, they roll over easier, but that is improving. Most of the previous Euro NCAP arguments assume that a Hummer is hitting a Fiesta. OK well guess what? Sometimes a small car hits an SUV. Then the SUV actually would be safer. Also, if an SUV hits a pedestrian, that person is going to be hurt. If a BMW 3 hits a passenger, you are going to have the same result. Plus - since the SUV is so much bigger than a car, you can see it coming from farther away. Another valid point is that the SUV blocks the view of the road. Well, just like a large truck, stay back a little further, and you can see just fine. Besides, if the car in front of you stops then you need to stop anyway - no matter what is actually going on in front of them.

Aesthetic Appeal-
    Some people like sports cars, some like small cars, some like certain brands of cars better than others, and some people like certain sized of cars better than others. Some like big cars so they can feel powerful, some like them because it's easier to find in a parking lot, some like it because they go over rough terrain or tow boats every once in a while (even if the rest of the time they take a child to school). No one yells at the people that like small cars, even though they use just as much petrol as the new SUVs, use the same parking spots, and also haul the kids to school.

Cost-
    SUVs already cost more to buy, they don't need to be taxed any more than they already are. Also, if people are so upset about the emissions because of petrol or diesel, then maybe the oil company should become more taxed, without allowing it to be passed down to the consumer. That way, those companies would invest in research for alternative fuels. It would be the responsibility of more than just the auto companies to find a better solution for the emissions coming out of today's vehicles. The reason the research is moving slowly is because it costs a lot to convert a station from regular petrol to a new alternative. If Shell, Mobil, BP, or anyone else does not NEED to spend the extra money, they won't.

:) Can't we all just get along?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Triangle wrote: »
    Please just follow the link i had - it points to a four star Santa Fe (Our Model) and due to the non sloping bonnet I believe this is a safer car. It's also higher up so if a smaller car hits it there should be less damage. Also, the driver can see more due to the height of the vehicle and should therfore have better awareness.

They are both 4 star ratings. My belief is as above.

I have a duty to my children first. I do not drive carelessy, i have never had an accident, I do not drive a SUV (as my main vehicle) and my children AL - WAYS come first.

Cornbb - do you have children? It seems like you don't really understand the impact of having children under your responsibility. I wasn't looking for an argument, but saying people buying SUVs for safety is nonsense is wrong (imo) - I believe the Santa Fe is a far safer car than most MPV's on the market, and is hard to beat.
    This belief stems from the encap ratings (4 stars on the santa fe we have), the height, shape and build of it.

My wife does not drive it dangerously and is a very safe driver. I do give the point that it does make it harder to see round, but any big vehicle has this problem.

Well, I hate to inform you that you're wrong.
    Check the links again. C-MAX is better than a Santa-Fe in child safety. Didn't you say your children are your priority? Well, you've failed them by forcing your wife change her mind and buy something less safe for them just to satisfy your subjective assessment rather than methodical and objective tests.

Also, the following MPVs are considerably safer than Santa Fe:
    Large:
    Ford Galaxy
    Ford S Max
    Peugeot 807
    Renault Espace
    Small:
    Citroen C4 Picasso
    Mazda 5
    Mercedes Benz B Class
    Renault Scenic
    Seat Altea
    Skoda Roomster
    Toyota Corolla Verso
    Opel Zafira
    VW Touran

These cars are all SAFER than your Santa Fe, let alone scores of estate and hatchback cars with much higher safety ratings than Santa Fe. Perhaps it would be a good idea to do a bit of research on your next purchase to match it with your priorities on an objective manner!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    Check the links again. C-MAX is better than a Santa-Fe in child safety. Didn't you say your children are your priority? Well, you've failed them by forcing your wife change her mind and buy something less safe for them just to satisfy your subjective assessment rather than methodical and objective tests.

Large:
    Ford Galaxy
    Ford S Max
    Peugeot 807
    Renault Espace
    Small:
    Citroen C4 Picasso
    Mazda 5
    Mercedes Benz B Class
    Renault Scenic
    Seat Altea
    Skoda Roomster
    Toyota Corolla Verso
    Opel Zafira
    VW Touran

These cars are all SAFER than your Santa Fe, let alone scores of estate and hatchback cars with much higher safety rating than Santa Fe. Perhaps it would be a good idea to do a bit of research on your next purchase to match it with your priorities on an objective manner!

1) There is no child safety rating on the 2002 model
    2) the reason they state for the loss of child safey rating on the 2006 model is lack of visibility of stickers (the do not place rear facing seat....etc)
    3) My other points in the prior post
    A) Height (Visibility)
    b) Bonnet
    c) Build quality
    D) height Safer vs Smaller Cars.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For me one of the big no-nos with SUV's is the likely hood of reversing over kids because you can't see them. SUV's should not be allowed too close to schools or shops. A simple max headroom barrier could relegate them further away from where kids walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

the new SUVs actually beat out the small cars.

Are you actually serious? That Cadillac Escalade thing.....i'm not gonna call that heap of junk a car....does 12-19 mpg according to cadillac's website. Now a 1.0 l Yaris will do 45-50 mpg, do I have to say more?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Gegerty wrote: »
    LOL now who's being ignorant! How is a CO2 emmission based tax system not about CO2 emmissions? If you don't like what you're paying then don't buy an SUV, thats what its about....there's no conspiracy here. But in a way you are right about it being about revenue, because if we don't lower our CO2 emissions as agreed in the Kyoto agreement we'll be paying a heavy price in fines.

You seem to be the more ignorant. Emissions based tax does not target polluters, most of whom do not drive big cars. Small car drivers driving 20 k miles a year are somewhat more polluting than a big car just used at weekends.

Its a stupid system, nothing to do with intelligent decisions.

You would be the more ignorant I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I have three SUVs, an Audi Q7, a BMW X5 and a Mitsubishi Pajero and tbh I couldn't tell you what emissions they throw out and tbh I don't care, when I look at the skys on a clear morning and see the pollution left by planes I'm fairly sure they leave a lot more than me by a long shot. All my SUVs work for a living i.e. tow things, carry things and generally earn their keep. This planet has been warming up for millions of years and you can't tell me that it's all our fault as a result of mans pollution for a hundred years or so. Some people give the impression that we're burning nuclear waste in our SUVs ffs. The only reason the politicans are getting on the bandwagon is to get us suckers to pay more taxes and anyone who can't see this clearly don't want to know. The planet is warming up end of story and nothing we can do will stop this, not even taxes. Even the Pope is anti all the scaremongering and warns against believing all we're reading in the papers. I for one am sh*t sick of all this save the planet crap being rammed down our throats every single day, if it happens it happens, I'm sure we'll either deal with it or we won't.

Triangle wrote: »
    1) There is no child safety rating on the 2002 model
    2) the reason they state for the loss of child safey rating on the 2006 model is lack of visibility of stickers (the do not place rear facing seat....etc)
    3) My other points in the prior post
    A) Height (Visibility)
    b) Bonnet
    c) Build quality
    D) height Safer vs Smaller Cars.

A) Is yours a 2002 model or a 2006 model? I'm comaring latest generation C-Max with latest generation Santa-Fe, and in that regards C-Max seems to be marginally safer.

B) Obviously the folks in Euroncap are total eejits giving some other cars 5 stars while giving superiorly built non-sloped bonnet high Santa Fe only 4 .... are you serious? I gave you objective data and facts, now if you have weird notions in your head that's another thing but notions in your head don't translate to safety in real world. If you were really concerned and prioritised their safety there would be far better options.

C) Are you seriously telling me a Santa Fe is better built than a Toyota Corolla, a Ford or a Mazda?! And I thought priority was safety not build quality...?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Guess who's back..... :)

I couldn't resist checking back on this one, and I am so sad that I read back through this thread, and tried to be as objective as I can.
    Really and truely, if anyone cares to read through this again, carefully, you will see that there is very little fact provided by the Anti-SUV debaters. Also, alot of direct questions and points have been totally ignored.

However, that aside, you will also notice an incredible amount of generalisation by the same Anti-SUV people. Some examples, (and you'll have to forgive me for not trawling back for the exact quotes);

"SUV drivers buy SUV's for their superior road position" - Now I can't prove it, but I would bet my house that not EVERY SUV driver bought their car for that reason.

"All SUV drivers can't drive properly, or are selfish on the road" - Once again, I can't prove it, but I would bet anything that this is not true either.

"SUVs are enviornmentally unfriendly" - My SUV emits less than 200g CO2 and averages 38.5MPG of 70% city driving.

So, to conclude, there is no point in the pro-SUV side continuing with this debate for several reasons:
    1. Nobody can actually define what an SUV is, so it is hard to defend a RAV4, which has low emissions, is very economical and has one of the highest EuroNCAP results, when your opposing debater is referring to a 6L Petrol Hummer.
    2. As I said earlier, there is such a broad spectrum of SUVs, it is impossible to make arguments for them all.

So, if the Anti-SUV want to have SUVs banned or subject to higher TAX's, You give me the criteria and I will name cars that are also subject to the criteria you decide. I'll get the ball rolling.

SUVs should have to pay triple taxes based on their:
    Big Engines. But alot of cars have similar engine sizes.
    Large wheelbase. But alot of cars & MPVs have similar wheelbases.
    Height and/or width. But alot of MPVs are as tall, if not taller, and alot of cars & MPVs are as wide.
    Poor MPG. Alot of SUVs have better MPG figures than alot of cars & MPVs.

Sure, you could say, anything over 3 meters tall, 2 meters wide, with an engine over 4L, CO2 emissions of over 350g and MPG lower that 25mpg. But you are probably going to eliminate just the Hummer. Drop any of those figures and you are going to start eliminating the holier-than-thou cars & MPV's as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Large:
    Ford Galaxy
    Ford S Max
    Peugeot 807
    Renault Espace
    Small:
    Citroen C4 Picasso
    Mazda 5
    Mercedes Benz B Class
    Renault Scenic
    Seat Altea
    Skoda Roomster
    Toyota Corolla Verso
    Opel Zafira
    VW Touran

These cars are all SAFER than your Santa Fe, let alone scores of estate and hatchback cars with much higher safety ratings than Santa Fe. Perhaps it would be a good idea to do a bit of research on your next purchase to match it with your priorities on an objective manner!

Since you are clearly OBSESSED with people driving SUV's, can you please explain to me how it effects YOU what vehicle the guy chooses to drive HIS kids around in. Aside from the bad driving argument, which can be applied to boy racers, old codgers, anyone in a fiesta, how does this guy buying a Focus C-Max instead of a Santa Fe effect anyone other then him? Mild differences in CO2 etc, but the C-Max has a high frame too, not as high as the santa fe but still more difficult to see around then a fiesta or whatever. So, while people deny its Jelousy, I can see no other reason. The arguments you make are pointless, if you'll answer my origional question:

can you please explain to me how it effects YOU what vehicle the guy chooses to drive HIS kids around in?

Then maybe I can have some clarity on your argument. Otherwise your just someone on an internet board complaining about what people choose to drive, instead of their ability to drive the chosen vehicle, or taking into account the many many valid reasons people buy an SUV, including the fact they just like them, its a free bloody country(last time I checked) and once my car is taxed , insured and NCT'd there should be no issue as long as I drive reasonably. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

junkyard wrote: »
    I have three SUVs, an Audi Q7, a BMW X5 and a Mitsubishi Pajero and tbh I couldn't tell you what emissions they throw out and tbh I don't care, when I look at the skys on a clear morning and see the pollution left by planes I'm fairly sure they leave a lot more than me by a long shot. All my SUVs work for a living i.e. tow things, carry things and generally earn their keep. This planet has been warming up for millions of years and you can't tell me that it's all our fault as a result of mans pollution for a hundred years or so. Some people give the impression that we're burning nuclear waste in our SUVs ffs. The only reason the politicans are getting on the bandwagon is to get us suckers to pay more taxes and anyone who can't see this clearly don't want to know. The planet is warming up end of story and nothing we can do will stop this, not even taxes. Even the Pope is anti all the scaremongering and warns against believing all we're reading in the papers. I for one am sh*t sick of all this save the planet crap being rammed down our throats every single day, if it happens it happens, I'm sure we'll either deal with it or we won't.

Ah c'mon JY didnt you read your history books? What do you think was the cause of the ice sheets melting during the last ice age? Thats right...captain caveman and chums were blasting around in HUMMERS. They needed these big cars as all they were concerned about was running down Mammoths and other furry creatures as they had nothing better to do and had no lives to be getting on with.

If i ever catch a hippy sniffing around my 4x4 (yes we are not in america people) I will give him a bath , a haricut ,do his C.V. for him and send him on his way. If he doesnt comply I have a shovel handy....
    Everytime I get this emmsions rubbish rammed at me I need to watch the guards reclaiming the streets on you tube. Best thing they ever did IMO.

sneakyST wrote: »
    Ah c'mon JY didnt you read your history books? What do you think was the cause of the ice sheets melting during the last ice age? Thats right...captain caveman and chums were blasting around in HUMMERS. They needed these big cars as all they were concerned about was running down Mammoths and other furry creatures as they had nothing better to do and had no lives to be getting on with.

If i ever catch a hippy sniffing around my 4x4 (yes we are not in america people) I will give him a bath , a haricut ,do his C.V. for him and send him on his way. If he doesnt comply I have a shovel handy....
    Everytime I get this emmsions rubbish rammed at me I need to watch the guards reclaiming the streets on you tube. Best thing they ever did IMO.

Totally 100% agree! Though I'm sure Al Gore will prove the last ice age ended because someone from Sandyford decided to buy a range rover......:D

astraboy wrote: »
    Totally 100% agree! Though I'm sure Al Gore will prove the last ice age ended because someone from Sandyford decided to buy a range rover......:D

You mean Al Gore the scientist?...no wait......wasnt he....nevermind

You mean Al Gore the scientist?...no wait......wasnt he....nevermind

Glad to see a bit of Humor on the boards this time of night. I'm sure all the greenie anti-SUV brigade had to put their High horses to bed.:D

to me how it effects YOU what vehicle the guy chooses to drive HIS kids around in?

Santa Fe has a much higher frame and in two car collisions it causes more damage to other cars -and probably even to itself. That's my thought though, I could be wrong.

But that wasn't the point I was arguing anyway, you got me wrong. Traingle said he made his wife not buy a Focus C-Max because he felt responsible for his children and thought Santa Fe is safer. I was trying to point out to him that a)it's not, and b)his perception that Santa Fe is safer just because it's a SUV and sits higher on the road is totally wrong, there are many other cars with better safety rating than his that are much lower/smaller ... do you see my point now?

And btw I'm not obsessed with this matter particularly, but I don't usually tolerate ignorance very well, especially if it's mixed with arrogance, lack of intellctual ability (i.e. reading, common sense, logic, ...). That's why I bother responding to threads here, otherwise I feel very safe in my Saab, thank you, and have nothing to do with people stupid enough to drive a truck around narrow streets of town and small parking spaces of shopping centre just to sit a bit higher on the road. I particularly enjoy looking at them when their 3-tonnes pieces of junk turns into a small speck in my rear view mirror if I decide to press just a tiny bit harder on the accelerator (which, ofcourse, being a safe and sensible drive I never do ;) )

Glad to see a bit of Humor on the boards this time of night. I'm sure all the greenie anti-SUV brigade had to put their High horses to bed.:D

High horses eh? How big are these so called horses, are they bigger than mine, does it eat more hay and therefore fart more? Ban the buggers , ban them, they may eat my children dammit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

prospect wrote: »
    Guess who's back..... :)
    carefully, you will see that there is very little fact provided by the Anti-SUV debaters.
    .....Now I can't prove it, but I would bet my house that not EVERY SUV driver bought their car for that reason.

.... Once again, I can't prove it, but I would bet anything that this is not true either.

Wow you baffle me with YOUR facts which you cant prove but yet have the cheek to attack the anti SUV threads??

Fact SUV block visability
    Fact SUV not needed to carry most (I would say all) things.
    Fact SUV higher lights then cars and hence blind ordinary car via rear view mirror.
    Fact I would rather avoid being hit by a these tanks then any other car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

For me one of the big no-nos with SUV's is the likely hood of reversing over kids because you can't see them.

Thats same logic would also apply to almost every MPV and I owned a VW Sharan at one stage.

• Advertisement

dodgyme wrote: »
    Wow you baffle me with YOUR facts which you cant prove but yet have the cheek to attack the anti SUV threads??

Fact SUV higher lights then cars and hence blind ordinary car via rear view mirror.

Dont drive so close
    I got my 7 foot christmas tree in mine....wheres that mini
    drive faster
    I wouldnt want to be hit by any car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

cornbb wrote: »
    Maybe its the other way round and SUV drivers like the false sense of bigness it gives them? Dare I say it, maybe they are the ones who somehow require this inflated feeling of bigness in order to not feel inadequate?

I could buy a Transit van and sit high above everyone else but no-one would resent me for it.

We've been through this already. People will typically dislike the driver of a €50k SUV far more than the driver of a €200k saloon or sportscar (90% of vitriol is directed at SUV drivers, according to your figure). Any of your points above could apply to drivers of other high range cars. But no, people don't dislike them anywhere as near as much as SUV drivers. So how do you explain that?

Wow, your logic is flawless :rolleyes:

You, as you said yourself, "resent" them.
    Resentment and begrudgery and next door neighbours.
    SUV drivers don't give a flap about you, and are not calling for the banning of your little car.

It's the same reason why ireland is one of the only countries in the world where you can't park a convertable with the top down.

People dropping snot in your car!

Give it a rest - live and let live - all ye're complaining just got ye lovely new increased VRT and lovely new high road tax.

Tell me why waiting lists for those crappy crossovers are so long, if SUVs are so hated. I'd rather get a disease than that new nissan, but there is a line of dopes lining up to get this pretend suv.
    Since you are so interested in telling everyone else what they can and can't drive, why not tell us what you drive, and what you want to drive, and we'll critique them for you........
    SUV's are a fad - just like german cars were a few years ago - when everyone got one, they moved on to suv's.
    Once everyone has one, they'll move on to something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Like I said in my last post, I owned a MPV, a VW Sharan. Same facts apply just replace SUV with MPV, its hard/stupid to begrudge a person driving a MPV. Thats your agrument out the window :)

Fact MPV block visability
    Fact MPV not needed to carry most (I would say all) things.
    Fact MPV higher lights then cars and hence blind ordinary car via rear view mirror.

FACT you can have your visibility blocked by Vans too! Or trucks, or large cars! Its part of driving, being able to adapt to whats around you and being aware of the situation as best you can.

FACT many people cart around gear in their SUV's. One poster was a member of a mountain rescue team. Many are used to tow trailers or used as workhorses. If someone wants to cart their kids around in them, fine. Though I suppose you wish to go back to the late eighties when there was 4 kids in the back of an old ford fiesta with 3 seatbelts.

FACT You can flick the dimmer switch on your mirror!;) Also, its more of a problem people having their full lights on behind you then the height of the lights.

FACT I think most people are the same but an E class merc weighs more then a RAV4 so its not really a scientific measurement to say all SUVs are dangerous to crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

Dont drive so close
    I got my 7 foot christmas tree in mine....wheres that mini
    drive faster
    I wouldnt want to be hit by any car

this is the most moronic responses to any post on any thread on any forum on the entire internet. you do yourself so much shame. please stop posting for fear of further compounding steroetypes. i didn't think i'd ever say this but you make SUV drivers look bad(der).

Santa Fe has a much higher frame and in two car collisions it causes more damage to other cars -and probably even to itself. That's my thought though, I could be wrong.

But that wasn't the point I was arguing anyway, you got me wrong. Traingle said he made his wife not buy a Focus C-Max because he felt responsible for his children and thought Santa Fe is safer. I was trying to point out to him that a)it's not, and b)his perception that Santa Fe is safer just because it's a SUV and sits higher on the road is totally wrong, there are many other cars with better safety rating than his that are much lower/smaller ... do you see my point now?

And btw I'm not obsessed with this matter particularly, but I don't usually tolerate ignorance very well, especially if it's mixed with arrogance, lack of intellctual ability (i.e. reading, common sense, logic, ...). That's why I bother responding to threads here, otherwise I feel very safe in my Saab, thank you, and have nothing to do with people stupid enough to drive a truck around narrow streets of town and small parking spaces of shopping centre just to sit a bit higher on the road. I particularly enjoy looking at them when their 3-tonnes pieces of junk turns into a small speck in my rear view mirror if I decide to press just a tiny bit harder on the accelerator (which, ofcourse, being a safe and sensible drive I never do ;) )

Fair enough, I just say live and let live. Clearly you have good taste in cars, also I have never met a rude or ignorant saab driver on the roads and I've driven in many countries! If the guy choose a Santa Fe thats his choice just like the saab was yours. If it makes being a parent easier with the load space and the height to stop you having to bend down to get kids out of the car, then it was a good value purchase for him.

Fair enough, I just say live and let live. Clearly you have good taste in cars, also I have never met a rude or ignorant saab driver on the roads and I've driven in many countries! If the guy choose a Santa Fe thats his choice just like the saab was yours. If it makes being a parent easier with the load space and the height to stop you having to bend down to get kids out of the car, then it was a good value purchase for him.

Thank you, glad I made my point clear. Btw, I don't know where you drive, but I myself have seen loads of rude/ignorant saab driver, pretty much the same as any other make (not as bad as beemers though ;) )
    I see your point, I really have nothing against what you said, and as you said who am I to pontificate to people what they should or shouldn't drive. I am only stating my own point of view, and sometimes I get a bit irritated when I see the lethal mix of ignorance and arrogance (as in some other posters posts) and I react!
    Btw, I am a parent too, and I'm more than obsessed with safety of my child as well...
    Also I've found my car's size more than adequate, even on a boat trip to France we had loads of space to spare for numerous cases of wine! The size of external shell doesn't necessarily mean more space inside...

this is the most moronic responses to any post on any thread on any forum on the entire internet. you do yourself so much shame. please stop posting for fear of further compounding steroetypes. i didn't think i'd ever say this but you make SUV drivers look bad(der).

Read my previous posts....i fear my humour may have gone over your little head....

Thank you, glad I made my point clear.
    I see your point, I really have nothing against what you said, and as you said who am I to pontificate to people what they should or shouldn't drive. I am only stating my own point of view, and sometimes I get a bit irritated when I see the lethal mix of ignorance and arrogance (as in some other posters posts) and I react!
    Btw, I am a parent too, and I'm more than obsessed with safety of my child as well...
    Also I've found my car's size more than adequate, even on a boat trip to France we had loads of space to spare for numerous cases of wine! The size of external shell doesn't necessarily mean more space inside...

Indeed you made your point clear and I have no issue with it. Unfortunately these debates can sink to the lowest common demoninator at times with people using fuzzy logic to justify their positions! You can see things from others perspectives and back up your point, pity more don't do this!

As for ignorance and arrogance, thats just people and not much we can do about that!

What kind of Saab BTW? My dad is always on about buying one! He loves them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

Read my previous posts....i fear my humour may have gone over your little head....

not at all. you're trying to be funny in paraphrasing the stereotype you're not sure you espouse, yet you only serve to bring a rubbish thread deeper into the skip of stupidity. do try to keep up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement