Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SUV Scum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

not at all. you're trying to be funny in paraphrasing the stereotype you're not sure you espouse, yet you only serve to bring a rubbish thread deeper into the skip of stupidity. do try to keep up.

Using large words does not strengthen your point. The guy made a joke in response to what were some frankly silly arguments about SUV's. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

not at all.

Well if you found it humourous why the stupid comment? Get off your soap box and give an opinion on the subject matter if you have one...if not verbal diahorrea somewhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

astraboy wrote: »
    Using large words does not strengthen your point. The guy made a joke in response to what were some frankly silly arguments about SUV's. That is all.

big words? good grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Does anyone know the difference between a religious fundamentalist and an anti-SUV hater because they share the common trait of not respecting the freedom of choice of others and insiting that everyone else should follow with their fundamentalist viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

prospect wrote: »
    ...Why not pick on the real polluters? E.G. Where is the anti massive engined, hugely heavy executive car bandwagon. Or the needlessly powerful sports car brigade.

Right here actually........:rolleyes:

Indeed -why not pick on the real polluters: the 20k yr commuters in their asthmatic 1.4 Astras - and leave the roads for me, my sig, and my 2+2 3.0 engined 250bhp 156mph sports car.

And, covering less than 4kmiles a year, I'd buy a 5.0 if I thought I could, and I'd still emit less CO2 than you probably too.

Not to mention that I'm subsidising your motoring, btw.........you should be paying me.

Right, that's that sorted then,........NEXT ??!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

cancan wrote: »
    You, as you said yourself, "resent" them.
    Resentment and begrudgery and next door neighbours.
    SUV drivers don't give a flap about you, and are not calling for the banning of your little car.
    I used the word resent. I never said I resent SUV drivers so stop jumping to conclusions. My issue is with the selfish attitudes displayed by a disproportionate amount of SUV drivers. I never called for SUVs to be banned, or tried to lecture people on what they should or shouldn't drive, anywhere in this thread. Please read the thread.
    It's the same reason why ireland is one of the only countries in the world where you can't park a convertable with the top down.

People dropping snot in your car!

Give it a rest - live and let live - all ye're complaining just got ye lovely new increased VRT and lovely new high road tax.

Tell me why waiting lists for those crappy crossovers are so long, if SUVs are so hated. I'd rather get a disease than that new nissan, but there is a line of dopes lining up to get this pretend suv.
    Since you are so interested in telling everyone else what they can and can't drive, why not tell us what you drive, and what you want to drive, and we'll critique them for you........
    SUV's are a fad - just like german cars were a few years ago - when everyone got one, they moved on to suv's.
    Once everyone has one, they'll move on to something else.

You've consistently dismissed every anti-SUV argument as "begrudgery" and ignored the many posts which categorically demonstrated that this is not the case. Instead of rebutting my points, you've slated every anti-SUV statement as jealously. "He must want one but can't afford one so he must hate them" sums up your argument. WTF?? You obviously don't have a leg to stand on.

I drive a Corolla estate. Would you care to tell me how my driving a Corolla impinges on your driving experience? I couldn't give a crap about spending money on some overbearing status symbol, I have better things to do with my cash. If you are going to come back to me and slag me off for driving a corolla, or continue with the same old rhetoric that driving a smaller car somehow makes me a begrudger then go right ahead, you'll have nothing to add to your tired old argument.

For the record, I don't agree with the new motor taxation regime. I agree with the "polluter should pay" principle (who wouldn't?) but it would make sense to tax people on their mileage combined with Co2 emissions rather than engine size alone - i.e. tax the fuel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

In fact CornBB, it is your argument that is getting tired. Fine, you have no resentment towards people because they buy SUV's, you say it is with their driving. Well start a bad driving thread then. To be honest if you are still contributing to the thread you must have some issue with SUV's as if its just down to the way people drive moranically I find the horn and the lights make a far quicker point on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

astraboy wrote: »
    In fact CornBB, it is your argument that is getting tired. Fine, you have no resentment towards people because they buy SUV's, you say it is with their driving. Well start a bad driving thread then. To be honest if you are still contributing to the thread you must have some issue with SUV's as if its just down to the way people drive moranically I find the horn and the lights make a far quicker point on the road.

I'd never claim that all SUV drivers are bad, in fact I'd have more of a problem with the "all SUV drivers are scum and SUVs must be vandalised and banned" brigade on this thread than with the pro SUV lot. I have just had many, many negative experiences with the attitudes of a disproportionate amount of SUV drivers (attitudes mind you, not individual bad driving incidents). Thats my only issue. I don't even care about the emissions thing or the size thing that much, although the higher and brighter headlights piss me off.

But you're right, my argument is tired now, even though I think I've made my points well.

To sum up: If you drive an SUV thats cool, just don't think the size or the expense give you a license to throw away courtesy towards other road users, because it seems to happen with an awful lot of SUV drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Everyone knows the facts about suv's.....the pros and cons.
    A minority of People buy them because either they need them for work or because of where they live .

The rest buy them cos they are buying into a lifestyle......Sad but true.

Its like any "Trend".....people will get sick of them eventually.
    These type of folk wear rugby jersies (no interest in rugby)
    These type of folk discuus the merits of good Pinotage (they prefer cold beer)
    These type of people think Ramsey is at the top of his game (they always have chinese takeaway)
    These type of people like the idea of the Ben and Jerrys climate change college (they dont understand co2's)
    These type of people only feed there kids organic produce (but dont buy local produce)
    What i am trying to say is that most large suv drivers DONT HAVE A CLUE they dont need suv's....they dont realy know why they have them...
    They are just going along with what there peers are doing and saying
    they cant give any valid reasons for having an suv over a people carrier because there is NO reasons

However after all that...Its freedom of choice....if Mary wants to bring little Sean to school in a 3 ton jeep....why shouldnt she be allowed.

I dont agree with letting a 18 year old drive a 170bhp Civic
    I dont agree with provisional drivers on the roads
    I dont agree with a full driving licence allowing you to drive a Fiesta and same licence allowing you to drive a Veyron.
    The big suv's on our roads is an issue......But i think there is much BIGGER issues (i have listed just a few) that need to be tackled first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    I dont agree with letting a 18 year old drive a 170bhp Civic.

Why exactly. Do you know every 18 year old Civic driver personally and have emperical evidence to back that up.

This **** bugs the hell outta me:mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

ninty9er wrote: »
    Why exactly. Do you know every 18 year old Civic driver personally and have emperical evidence to back that up.

This **** bugs the hell outta me:mad::mad:

I take it your 18 and have a Civic....or close enough.
    Sorry dont mean to ofend......
    Its just statistically the proof is there about 18 year old Civic drivers....You have more accidents!!
    High powered car in over eager, less experienced hands = trouble
    All im saying is 170 bhp is to much for someone with one years driving experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

cornbb wrote: »
    I used the word resent. I never said I resent SUV drivers so stop jumping to conclusions. My issue is with the selfish attitudes displayed by a disproportionate amount of SUV drivers. I never called for SUVs to be banned, or tried to lecture people on what they should or shouldn't drive, anywhere in this thread. Please read the thread.

You've consistently dismissed every anti-SUV argument as "begrudgery" and ignored the many posts which categorically demonstrated that this is not the case. Instead of rebutting my points, you've slated every anti-SUV statement as jealously. "He must want one but can't afford one so he must hate them" sums up your argument. WTF?? You obviously don't have a leg to stand on.

I drive a Corolla estate. Would you care to tell me how my driving a Corolla impinges on your driving experience? I couldn't give a crap about spending money on some overbearing status symbol, I have better things to do with my cash. If you are going to come back to me and slag me off for driving a corolla, or continue with the same old rhetoric that driving a smaller car somehow makes me a begrudger then go right ahead, you'll have nothing to add to your tired old argument.

For the record, I don't agree with the new motor taxation regime. I agree with the "polluter should pay" principle (who wouldn't?) but it would make sense to tax people on their mileage combined with Co2 emissions rather than engine size alone - i.e. tax the fuel

Would that be one of those corolla estates that I always seeing hogging the fast lane and not pulling out of the way for faster traffic comes up behind, and generally displaying a holier than thou attitude on the roads, while casuing accidents by their pig headedness in making sure everyone follows their rules.

Because that is the essence of your arguement. Saying that ALL types of a CERTAIN car is driven in a certain way.

When was the last time you let an SUV driver out of a junction - I'd bet you salivate when you see one trying to get out, and make sure they don't.

Just beuase your choice in cars leads me to believe that you have no interest in them, don't punish other people who do, based on nothing more factual, than an observation.

Your very reference to SUV's as an "overbearing status symbol" says more about you, than any SUV driver out there, and demonstrates that B word again.

Good day to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

WTF!
    I'm starting a campaign against drivers of convertibles cos lets face it, we just don't have the climate in this country.
    Once I've driven all them into hiding I'm going after the performance car crew, I mean how much time do these people really spend on race tracks.
    Then the mountain bikers are gonna get it, ireland is more "hilly" that mountainous.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Ok ..

Will someone explain to me why its called a SPORTS UTILITY VEHICLE.

And if so, how many people that own one here have used it for that purpose ?

Also, will someone tell me why my G/F hates SUV's on the road ? and she doesnt even bloody drive.

Her argument is that as a pedestrian they show complete disregard for anyone else on the road.

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    I take it your 18 and have a Civic....or close enough.
    Sorry dont mean to ofend......
    Its just statistically the proof is there about 18 year old Civic drivers....You have more accidents!!
    High powered car in over eager, less experienced hands = trouble
    All im saying is 170 bhp is to much for someone with one years driving experience.

Thats a silly statistic, the honda civic is a popular car for the younger/less experienced driver. You could say the same about a Ford Fiesta or Nissan Micra simply because theres more of them around.

Its like the same as the Honda NSR125 Group 4 Motorcycle is around twice as much to insure as a Kawasaki ZR250 Group 5 motorcycle, its all about how many are on the road, same percentage, more vehicles simply because theres more of them on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I do understand why some people get pi**ed off with SUVs in urban areas, doesnt make sense. Still though i have one, i do need it for work, (its commercial) I work in forestry, the jeep is indeed off road 50% of the time and pulling heavy machinery about the place. Cant see a toyota prius doing that.

caoibhin wrote: »
    I do understand why some people get pi**ed off with SUVs in urban areas, doesnt make sense. Still though i have one, i do need it for work, (its commercial) I work in forestry, the jeep is indeed off road 50% of the time and pulling heavy machinery about the place. Cant see a toyota prius doing that.

Thats great ! Then you need it !

But its the people driving them in Urban Areas who never use it for the purpose its intended.

If your using it for forrestry or driving on sites where the terrain is harsh then an SUV is great.

But if your just driving it on normal roads i.e. urban areas then its a total waste. They handle like a total donkey, so that just leaves us with size. I wouldn't drive a vehicle around a city because its big. In fact i don't drive at all in the city, i get the tram to work.

They've started taxing vehicles in Holland based on weight, a hummer will now cost you a cool 100k more to buy now here. All SUV's here are being taxed heavily per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

dodgyme wrote: »
    Wow you baffle me with YOUR facts which you cant prove but yet have the cheek to attack the anti SUV threads??

Fact SUV block visability
    Fact SUV not needed to carry most (I would say all) things.
    Fact SUV higher lights then cars and hence blind ordinary car via rear view mirror.
    Fact I would rather avoid being hit by a these tanks then any other car.

They are opinions, not facts :p, and several other posters have already pointed out that most of these 'issues' you have are not isolated to SUVs, and some are down to your driving.

Once again, and I say this at most Anti-SUV Threads;
    Can someone PLEASE define an SUV?

Dodgyme, you seem to favour dictatorship, why not force the 95% of drivers on the N7 every morning to buy single seat vehicles, as they are nearly all occupied only by the driver.

Why not ban people buying cars capable of speeds of over 120KM/h as no one needs to go faster than that. Why not ban radios, they are not needed. And sure while we are at it, why would you allow people pick the colour of their vehicle, lets ban colours while we are at it....

Multifunction mobile phones, game consoles, Plasma & LCD TV's, designer labels, branded products, art, comedy etc. None of these are needed, sure lets ban them all as well. :rolleyes:

P.S. - For the first time ever, I am on the same side of a debate as Junkyard :) , I just can't wait for Alfa to release another SUV ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Dyflin wrote: »
    More wild accusations being thrown around. Diesel X-trail 2.2 dCi 4x2 - 37.7 mpg

Volvo S40/V50 1.8l petrol - 39.2 mpg. Not so spectacular now eh? :rolleyes:

Dyflin.... Shows just how desperate you are to try and label SUV's as Gas Guzzlers when you will argue over 2mpgs.

But, just please you...

2007 Nissian X-Trail - 2.0 dCi Sport 5d 39 mpg 190 g/km

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Summary.aspx?model=1603&page=3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

DonJose wrote: »
    Like I said in my last post, I owned a MPV, a VW Sharan. Same facts apply just replace SUV with MPV, its hard/stupid to begrudge a person driving a MPV. Thats your agrument out the window :)

Fact MPV block visability
    Fact MPV not needed to carry most (I would say all) things.
    Fact MPV higher lights then cars and hence blind ordinary car via rear view mirror.

MPV and SUV's - to me pretty much the same thing (big and awkward and hindrance to other road users) there thats your argument out the window?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Fairnuff craichoe
    I couldent agree more, point is though, i and many more like me drove a jeep before it was fashionable and will do when its not so trendy. Problem is that now ordinary people like me just going about their business will now be taxed heavily because its trendy for yummie mummies to drive one. Surely there should be some exemption if its commercial or it can be proven to be work related.
    again, for the record, there is NO need for these jeeps in an urban setting.

sneakyST wrote: »
    Read my previous posts....i fear my humour may have gone over your little head....
    Probably went over his head because you were blocking the way and sitting higher up then him in your SUV. But I would say your opinion typifies the SUV mentality.

They are opinions, not facts :p, and several other posters have already pointed out that most of these 'issues' you have are not isolated to SUVs, and some are down to your driving.

Once again, and I say this at most Anti-SUV Threads;
    Can someone PLEASE define an SUV?

Dodgyme, you seem to favour dictatorship, why not force the 95% of drivers on the N7 every morning to buy single seat vehicles, as they are nearly all occupied only by the driver.

Why not ban people buying cars capable of speeds of over 120KM/h as no one needs to go faster than that. Why not ban radios, they are not needed. And sure while we are at it, why would you allow people pick the colour of their vehicle, lets ban colours while we are at it....

Multifunction mobile phones, game consoles, Plasma & LCD TV's, designer labels, branded products, art, comedy etc. None of these are needed, sure lets ban them all as well. :rolleyes:

P.S. - For the first time ever, I am on the same side of a debate as Junkyard :) , I just can't wait for Alfa to release another SUV ;).

Not I dont fancy a dictatorship. I am a pluralist. What I drive doesn't by size or stature interfere with other road users. An SUV does as I proved with my facts which you call opinions. Well SUVs are bigger then cars that is a fact but to you its an opinion ...right ya... now I see the SUV driver is blind and arrogant.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

I can't find the original post but I think unkel said this :

Ask yourself this question: which car does the average person like least / hate most:

1. €80k SUV
    2. €120k saloon
    3. €300k sports car

The answer is not 2. It's not even 3.
    ========================================

Just to answer that:

It is about visibility.

Firstly there are a lot more SUV's on the road than there are 120k sports cars.

For example, who do you hear more jealous spewing about... (especially around here) :

1) BMW drivers
    2) Porsche drivers
    3) Maserati drivers

It's 1 of course. Because we see them everywhere. It's the same with SUV's. If there were as many Porsche 911's in the country as there are SUV's I can guarantee, there would be just as much begrudgery about them.

Secondly, most people, who are not into cars, wouldn't know the difference between a 120k saloon or a 20k saloon. In fact, if you were to offer them the €20k saloon with an 07 reg and the 120k with an 06 reg, they'd probably take the 07.

Of course, not all giving out about SUV's is jealously based, but a certain amount of it is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

BnA wrote: »
    Dyflin.... Shows just how desperate you are to try and label SUV's as Gas Guzzlers when you will argue over 2mpgs.

But, just please you...

2007 Nissian X-Trail - 2.0 dCi Sport 5d 39 mpg 190 g/km

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Summary.aspx?model=1603&page=3

It's not me who's being desperate here, just showing that fact is stranger than fiction.

Same size Volvo petrol engine is still as economical and cleaner burning.
    http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/vehicleDetails.asp?id=17500

How far does one need to go to prove that the Xtrail engine that was held up to the audience in such high regard is nothing special whatsoever?

Care to compare the other cars you berated?

BnA wrote: »
    I can't find the original post but I think unkel said this :

Ask yourself this question: which car does the average person like least / hate most:

1. €80k SUV
    2. €120k saloon
    3. €300k sports car

The answer is not 2. It's not even 3.
    ========================================

Just to answer that:

It is about visibility.

Firstly there are a lot more SUV's on the road than there are 120k sports cars.

For example, who do you hear more jealous spewing about... (especially around here) :

1) BMW drivers
    2) Porsche drivers
    3) Maserati drivers

It's 1 of course. Because we see them everywhere. It's the same with SUV's. If there were as many Porsche 911's in the country as there are SUV's I can guarantee, there would be just as much begrudgery about them.

Secondly, most people, who are not into cars, wouldn't know the difference between a 120k saloon or a 20k saloon. In fact, if you were to offer them the €20k saloon with an 07 reg and the 120k with an 06 reg, they'd probably take the 07.

Of course, not all giving out about SUV's is jealously based, but a certain amount of it is.

For the last time it is not about begrudgery!

Not I dont fancy a dictatorship. I am a pluralist. What I drive doesn't by size or stature interfere with other road users. An SUV does as I proved with my facts which you call opinions. Well SUVs are bigger then cars that is a fact but to you its an opinion ...right ya... now I see the SUV driver is blind and arrogant.:confused:

Sorry,

Can you please remind me of what proved that an SUVs size & Stature interferes with other road users?

Also, while you are at it, remind my why the size and stature of a Hyundai Tuscon is worse than a Renault Grand Espace?.

Thanks.

P.S. Bar a handfull of MPG figures, I am the only person who quoted actual statistics, which clearly showed that a far higher percentage of Small 4x4s are safer than most of their small, large & executive saloon car and MPV equivalents.

Oh, and don't forget to give me your definition of what an SUV is, just so we are sure what you are talking about.

Sorry,

Can you please remind me of what proved that an SUVs size & Stature interferes with other road users?

Also, while you are at it, remind my why the size and stature of a Hyundai Tuscon is worse than a Renault Grand Espace?.

Thanks.

P.S. Bar a handfull of MPG figures, I am the only person who quoted actual statistics, which clearly showed that a far higher percentage of Small 4x4s are safer than most of their small, large & executive saloon car and MPV equivalents.

Read back thru the threads, a goldfish would remember more. I have listed how they interfere with other road users numerous times.

interfere with other road users.

I regularly get stuck behind groups of cyclists, and trucks & agricultural vehicles on my road. Maybe we should ban them.

Well SUVs are bigger then cars that is a fact
    suzuki_jimny_21_01_05.jpg

2001.chrysler.voyager.2814-396x249.jpg

Mercedes_S_Class_2006_01.jpg050b041a-2b0f-48c5-b989-5b34f0b91a00Large.jpg

• Advertisement

Read back thru the threads, a goldfish would remember more. I have listed how they interfere with other road users numerous times.

You have listed how you think they interfere, I want to see some statistics, as proof of fact. It is not a fact if you can't prove it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement