Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music genres question

Options
  • 12-12-2007 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I'm setting up a music related website. Part of what's needed is for bands to select what genres best describe their style. Each band can choose up to 4 genres to describe what their sound is like. So I'm wondering, whats the minimum amount of genres I need to make available for them to choose from. I expect all different types of bands/groups/DJs to be involved btw.

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Thats a toughie. There's no definitive list, and even if your list was 10,000 genres long you probably wouldn't satisfy everyone.

I'd recommend maybe 50-200 genres, that should allow you to have a basic description of all types of music without getting anally specific.

Actually take a look at the way www.emusic.com breaks down their genres - 12 overall genres, each broken into a number of styles. Might be a better idea than having a big long exhaustive list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

And include a few catch all genres, like Alternative, Electronic or Experimental.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Alternative & Indie
    Classical
    Dance & Electronic & DJing
    Experimental
    Hip-Hop
    Jazz & Blues
    Punk
    Rock & Metal
    Soul & R 'n' B & Funk
    Traditional
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

Blisterman wrote: »
    And include a few catch all genres, like Alternative, Electronic or Experimental.

Ye, I reckon thats the route Id take, about a dozen catch all genres that cover pretty much everything should be fine.
    Never really understood the need for all these hundreds of subgenres to be honest.

If bands dont like the fact theres a limited number of genres to choose from and claim the genre titles available dont allow them to accurately represent what they'r about musically.....................then basically their heads are up their collective arses and you should just tell them to sod off!
    Though I dont know if this approach would work when your trying to actually build up a music website! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Ye, I reckon thats the route Id take, about a dozen catch all genres that cover pretty much everything should be fine.
    Never really understood the need for all these hundreds of subgenres to be honest.

I reckon a few catch all genres would be fine to start up with but if/when your site gets large, with hundreds or thousands of bands, it would be good to use a more detailed tagging system to allow people to be more specific about what they want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Why not let people define their own genre tags?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Why not let people define their own genre tags?

They will have to be pre-defined as people will have to tag with them, and search by them. So if people are using their own definitions, they won't be included in the searches etc.

I am going with 42 genres I think...which I'm breaking down into a primary 21 and secondary 21. Here's what I've got;

Primary 21;
    Accoustic
    Alternative
    Blues
    Club
    Dance
    Drum and bass
    Electro
    Experimental
    Hardcore
    Hip-Hop
    House