Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jericho: The gaming worlds version of "SAW"

Options
  • 12-12-2007 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Currently playing through Jericho atm... I know I know, we've all seen the Zero Punctuation review slating it as crap, but I had it installed before that review so thought i'd give it a chance. Plus i'm wondering if other people have played it and what there views on it are.

First off, on paper this game actually sounds pretty good, decent graphics, teamplay to rival GRAW and an interesting enough storyline. The graphics are pretty good in this game, I'd appreciate them better if they hadn't spent all their time rendering human entrails and buckets of blood all over the place. For example i've gone from one level where the entire ground was covered by dead mutilated bodies to a level where i'm wading through a river of blood and guts with a load of tortured, dismembered bodies on stakes lining the banks... imo this is too much and actually ruins the game as they've used it so much you quickly become desensitized to it. If they had used it spareingly, for shock value, it would of made it a lot more chilling (like in Quake 4 when you start coming across the levels where human bodies have been integrated into the machinery) Also, they've weirdly gone through a lot of trouble to animate the breasts on one of your squad members (DoA animated) she's constantly crouched on her knees bouncing, its like a 15 y/o lad was put to design her. Also she is wearing a ridiculously skimpy leather cat suit, when all the men are in full body armour, what is with designers doing that?

Also, Zero Punctuation was completely right, every level looks the same, the colour palette pretty much consists of brown and red. I to have found myself running in the wrong direction because every brown, stone corridor soaked in blood and guts looks exactly like the other one I just passed through.

Gameplay wise, it IS fun, I guess, but it is getting repetitive. It basically consists of: move from point A to point B, stop, fight several spawning puss filled mutilated zombies, rinse, repeat. What makes it fun is that you can switch between the players of your team fairly effortlessly by just looking at them and pressing the use key. Each of your team mates has their own skill and I have to say they are weighted very evenly, you will find you won't favour one of the character over the other, but will be constantly switching between them to use their individual abilities. The only part of the gameplay that REALLY IRKs me is the context based button mashing cut scenes, I end up having to replay through them 8 or 9 times just to memorise off the sequence of keys I have to mash to get past it. I really don't understand why this was needed in this game.

For me, the gameplay is enough to keep me entertained until the end. I'd be interested to hear what other people opinions of it are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Also, they've weirdly gone through a lot of trouble to animate the breasts on one of your squad members (DoA animated) she's constantly crouched on her knees bouncing, its like a 15 y/o lad was put to design her. Also she is wearing a ridiculously skimpy leather cat suit, when all the men are in full body armour, what is with designers doing that?

Programming is lonely work....

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

The Dragon's Lair style scenes are the absolute pits. What's worse, some keys didn't work if you had re-mapped them from WSAD. I spent 30 very frustrated minutes trying to get past one scene.

Pretty much stopped playing the game after that. Lazy design. Suffers from console-itis too. There are some great ideas in there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Maximilian wrote: »
    The Dragon's Lair style scenes are the absolute pits. What's worse, some keys didn't work if you had re-mapped them from WSAD. I spent 30 very frustrated minutes trying to get past one scene.

Pretty much stopped playing the game after that. Lazy design. Suffers from console-itis too. There are some great ideas in there though.

THANK GOD someone else is having this problem. I use "8456" instead of WASD, but the game doesn't seem to accept this for the button mashing cut scenes, sometimes I need to use WASD, sometimes the arrow keys, or my worst, sometimes it will only allow me to use 856, the left direction has to be either A or the left arrow... man I really hate when it decides to do that. It is really sloppy design.

Plus, the audio is terrible, the voices never sound like they are coming from the characters mouth. Plus the big hulk of a man on your team has the voice of a 16 y/o :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Don't bother clearing the game...it doesnt have an ending :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I played the demo for about 2 whole minutes and that was enough to convince me that it wasn't for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Also, they've weirdly gone through a lot of trouble to animate the breasts on one of your squad members (DoA animated) she's constantly crouched on her knees bouncing, its like a 15 y/o lad was put to design her. Also she is wearing a ridiculously skimpy leather cat suit

And your problem is :confused::confused::confused:

my experience with the game goes along the same lines as NekkidBibleMan. Defiantly not for me.

Auvers wrote: »
    And your problem is :confused::confused::confused:

my experience with the game goes along the same lines as NekkidBibleMan. Defiantly not for me.

I actually don't mind it, the fight scenes are fun, not too difficult, not to easy. My only real gripe is that the environment doesn't change, I suppose they have to keep it gloomy and hellish, which I understand.

Plus if you get bored with one character you can just switch to another, they are different enough to keep it interesting and challenging to think who would be better for each obstacle. i'm about halfway through and its starting to pick up a bit of pace now.

I purposely don't play demos anymore for the reasons above, a demo is never a good indication of a game as a whole.

Kiith wrote: »
    Don't bother clearing the game...it doesnt have an ending :(

wow.... :confused: .... you really wheren't joking, i've played popcap games with better endings than that :rolleyes:

I expected at least something, even a minute of narration would of been enough, and what a crappy final battle, any final boss that I can beat on my first try is rubbish imo.

Although the last few levels before the final boss where pretty good. I especially liked the level where you only have the control of delgado.

Advertisement