Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia 2247nwg-eir + firewall

Options
  • 12-12-2007 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Is there anyway of editing or viewing the firewall configuration on the router?

I know i can set the level to high, medium, low or off but i want to see what the exact rules are and how it is configured if possible, then be able to edit them.

All help appreciated.

N.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Open up your browser and visit http://192.168.1.254 -- this is the default IP address of the router unless you changed it. Tweak the settings to your heart's content.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

im kinda think at a lower level than that. ie via telnet. can i get a download of the firewall from the router. the only firewall options i can see is high medium and low. but not what that actually means.

N.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Perhaps entering 'Expect mode' will give you more options. As far as I remember, there was some vague description of what each level of the firewall did. I haven't used that router in several months -- it's stashed away somewhere in a box right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

The netopia firewall is crap thats why you cant get more info. Its not worth much, it stops basic hacks but anyone decent will breeze through one without batting an eyelid. So as far as I know you only have the 4 options. Expert mode wont give you anymore info, if your serious about firewall turn it off and buy a firewall in a box. A machine dedicated to preventing attacks.

Eoghan Fla
    Fusion Networks

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Cheers fusionNet.

In the process of setting up a freebsd box to act as a firewall and proxy server. Seems like the only way i can get a decent firewall in operation.

N.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

High blocks all internet traffic incoming and outgoing
    Medium stops all unrequested incoming traffic
    Low does the same as Medium with the exception of the ports you specify in "Custom Services"
    Off obviously means no firewall.

I find the port forwarding and custom services very goon on the netopia and find the firewall very good in that none of the online scanners show any ports exist never mind open.

Shane

Advertisement