Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa card stolen, cash withdrawn - do I have a case?

Options
  • 12-12-2007 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Advice appreciated here...

My wallet was nicked last Friday evening and by the time I managed to contact Visa, someone had withdrawn a serious amount of cash from an ATM. Problem is they must have had my PIN - although I don't remember leaving it in my wallet, I must have as that's the only way to withdraw cash I assume.

So, I reported th card stolen and was told while on the phone that someone had used the card only three minutes before that. I told them it wasn't me, and the card was immediately cancelled - the question is, do I have any chance of escaping the hit? or am I considered responsible for my own, erm, stupidity...? :(

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Never even suggest to them that your pin was in your wallet, or written down anywhere the thief could have got it. Never ever. Or you wont have a leg to stand on. If they didnt have your pin :rolleyes: then you can argue that they got past the cards security somehow and you might have a stronger case to argue for a refund of the stolen money.

But as it stands I think youre responsible for all losses up to the time you report the card missing.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

Don't say that the PIN was in the wallet. One way to get the PIN is using a hidden camera or someone watching as you typed it in at a till/ATM. Insist to the company that this must be what happened. Really depends on the company as to whether you'll have to take the hit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

milod wrote: »
    My wallet was nicked last Friday evening and by the time I managed to contact Visa, someone had withdrawn a serious amount of cash from an ATM. Problem is they must have had my PIN - although I don't remember leaving it in my wallet, I must have as that's the only way to withdraw cash I assume.
    Expect question how you could not notice that they stole your wallet, where you drinking, did you put the wallet on a table and turn away, was it in a coat hanging on a chair etc. In short you need to have a story ready to show that you was very diligent in watching your wallet and did not leave it hanging around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can deny having the PIN written down and say they must have gotten it by watching you enter it or using a hidden camera. The problem here is that they know exactly where and when you last used the card. If this was a good while before the card was stolen (several hours or maybe days) then it becomes unbelievable that the person who saw your PIN would wait so long to steal the wallet. It would have been done almost immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Tyring to claim your pin was noted by a hidden camera will never stand up, especially if there's no transactions on your card immediately before it was stolen. It can hardly be claimed that someone followed you from the last time you used your visa card if it was hours or days ago up until it was stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To be honest your incrediable stupid to have your ATM or Credit Card PIN noted down anywhere, especially in your wallet of all places!

If the bank force you to pay you have nobody to blame but yourself,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Jip wrote: »
    Tyring to claim your pin was noted by a hidden camera will never stand up, especially if there's no transactions on your card immediately before it was stolen. It can hardly be claimed that someone followed you from the last time you used your visa card if it was hours or days ago up until it was stolen.
    Not true. Someone could have noted the PIN but then not had a good oportunity to steal the card for a while.

Having card and PIN together is quite retarded though.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

MrPudding wrote: »
    Not true. Someone could have noted the PIN but then not had a good oportunity to steal the card for a while.

So they followed the op around, possibly for days, until the got their oppurtunity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Jip wrote: »
    So they followed the op around, possibly for days, until the got their oppurtunity ?

Could've been a workmate; shop assistant at a place you regularly go; family member (son/daughter) who knows, it could happen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Tails142 wrote: »
    Could've been a workmate; shop assistant at a place you regularly go; family member (son/daughter) who knows, it could happen though.

It's highly unlikely though, and wouldn't be believed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Cabaal wrote: »
    To be honest your incrediable stupid to have your ATM or Credit Card PIN noted down anywhere, especially in your wallet of all places!

If the bank force you to pay you have nobody to blame but yourself,

Cheers folks and thanks anyway for the advice. It confirmed my fears, and the bank did indeed charge me...

And thanks especially to Cabaal for the useful admonishment. It was indeed 'incrediable stupid' so cheers again for reminding me just in case I'd forgotten the stupidity - which I did actually mention in my own post... :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

milod wrote: »
    Cheers folks and thanks anyway for the advice. It confirmed my fears, and the bank did indeed charge me...

And thanks especially to Cabaal for the useful admonishment. It was indeed 'incrediable stupid' so cheers again for reminding me just in case I'd forgotten the stupidity - which I did actually mention in my own post... :confused:

No problem...glad I could help ;)

Did you get charged much in the end and did they knock anything off it at all?

Advertisement