Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most anticipated games of 2008

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Awful combat in FFVII never hurt that game.

FFVII had an excellent combat system. The materia system was second only to FFX in the whole series. Also much better than the combat in any of the Suikoden games and tbh there's no other JRPGs I've played that have stories that come close to FF or Suikoden so even if they've better combat systems it doesn't really matter.

As for Lost Odyssey, the combat looks fine to me and the music is fantastic, but the whole game is very... brown. The art style just doesn't appeal to me, it doesn't look like an interesting world and I have no idea how the story will turn out. FFXIII is much more enticing with its bright and vibrant world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Can't wait for Persona 3! February seems so far away :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

steviec wrote: »
    FFVII had an excellent combat system. The materia system was second only to FFX in the whole series. Also much better than the combat in any of the Suikoden games and tbh there's no other JRPGs I've played that have stories that come close to FF or Suikoden so even if they've better combat systems it doesn't really matter.

As for Lost Odyssey, the combat looks fine to me and the music is fantastic, but the whole game is very... brown. The art style just doesn't appeal to me, it doesn't look like an interesting world and I have no idea how the story will turn out. FFXIII is much more enticing with its bright and vibrant world.

The FFVII system was far too open to give any of the characters any personality and would have been a big negative if the story didn't give the characters some excellent personality. It was just far too simple to lend the game any sort of strategy. I'd rank the combat as equal to suikoden, far too simple but easy enough so that it was never to the detriment of the excellent storytelling and characters. As I was saying before in my original post a simple combat system has never hurt an RPG, least of all Suikoden 2 and FFVII and really isn't a worry for me with lost odyssey.

FFXIII looks far too emo-Advent Children to me and that film was an absolute abomination. Lost Odyssey seems far more subtle like the FF games of old. And of course it looks brown, it's using the same engine as Gears of War :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Tna Impact.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Haze looks meh, nothing to write home about, graphics are Doom3esque and it just looks like a Halo clone tbh...

Looking forward to new GTA and MGS and Burnout console wise :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

conzymaher wrote: »
    Haze looks meh, nothing to write home about, graphics are Doom3esque and it just looks like a Halo clone tbh...

It looks like it actually has a good story and an interesting premise. They're looking at a lot of the human and political aspects of war that don't really get explored in many games.

At least that's what the previews have been saying, hopefully they pull off something good.

The gameplay does look about the same as every other FPS out there, but if it has a good story carrying it, aswell as the co-op modes, it could be a good game. Should certainly be better than Halo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I've seen a few demos of Haze on various sites \ shows. Still seems a bit glitchy.
    I suspect they also took a look at the level of competition in the FPS genre at the moment and realised it wasn't quite up to that standard.

With the backlog of games I have built up, I could stop buying for the next year and still have stuff to play this time next year.
    Just off the top of my head: (Uncharted , Ratchet and clank PS3, world in conflict, Okami - still in shrink wrap, global defence force, both silent hill 2 and 3, civilization 4, company of heroes, Rome total war, Jade empire, chibi robo, project zero 2, lunar knights, Penumbra, kingdom hearts and many more).

I'd like to play left of r dead and maybe give killzone 2 a go but I'd never get around to playing the bloody things.

Advertisement