Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The most stolen cars??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Darando

Keith186 wrote: »
    Someone robbed all the parts from my mated Civic, it was a souped up flash one.
    Then he got an Impreza and siezed the engine after a while. They tried for half an hour to knick it, they even smashed his other cars window, took out the battery and put it in the Impreza to try get it going to no avail. It was all on camera.

Now there is a video that would be worth a look!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

JHMEG wrote: »
    They haven't been made in 12 years, so by defintion there are fewer and fewer on the roads. Every one that's been torched or crashed is one less.

There is nowhere near the amount of them around compared to when I owned one 8 years ago.

obviously wont be as many, but most cars after 96 are immobilised so car theft it mainly with older cars excelt where they break into your house for the keys, thats not really that common though as the cars are needed for different reasons, (ie crime, whereas years ago it was mainly about joyriding)
    someone also mentioned the punto being one of the top stolen, they only made a non immobilised one for under a year in 94 and anything after is immobilised., maybe ment the uno before it, they were very common.,

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

JDM imports seem to be the most frequently stolen. The insurance companies over here (well Germany actually) put their foot down during the 90's and said that they'd hugely load premiums on cars without immobilisers, so every manufacturer has fitted them as standard since.

Nothing like that happened in Japan, so even models with apparently identical European sold equivalents can just be driven away, unlike the Euro-spec ones that won't even start.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭beatman91

Civic, I had 3 of them stolen. One last week. Alarm was disconnected for nct as the doors automaticly lock when engine is on.

Its always the one time you let your guard down.

I'm not kidding now it took him 1 min to steal it. As I just ran into the house for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

congo_90 wrote: »
    Micras, etc as the poster above said, always an easy target. Just invest in some security system. Like an immobiliser. don't rely on factory fitted ones. If not. Get an alarm. If your really worried get one with an ignition cut-off button on the remote.

That has to be some of the worst advice I've seen here and you haven't even read the thread. The cars without factory fitted immobilisers are the ones that are stolen. The scumbags know how to defeat most of the aftermarket ones. My last car was broken into and attempted to be stolen, it had an aftermarker immobiliser but they didn't care. New car is factory fitted and they haven't gone near it.

On new cars with factory fitted immobilisers the alarm companies usually don't even add their own immobiliser as it messes with the ECU and can cause problems, they just leave the factory one as it's the best. Most low end new cars aren't stolen anymore unless by an opportunist thief at a petrol station or from outside houses when people are defrosting them.

Most thiefs will break into houses for good cars but not for run abouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

beatman91 wrote: »
    Civic, I had 3 of them stolen. One last week. Alarm was disconnected for nct as the doors automaticly lock when engine is on.

Why did you disconnect the alarm for the NCT? The people working in the test centre know how to open doors, even if they lock themselve. They always leave the drivers window down in case the car locks itself.

BTW sorry to hear about the loss, pain in hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Regardless of any car mentioned theres alot of each model stolen... you just have to be able to spot which one... generally you can tell by the seller.

imo the most stolen civics starlets primera's impreza's 206's ...

generally car's you shouldn't want....

besides you siad you had a stolen " gt" so why dont you just go steal another ? :mad:

aslo all them cars and more can be opened with a tennis ball let alone doing anything silly like bending the door or such... makes em eazier to steal , regardless of there halfords 50 euro alarm :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Del2005 wrote: »
    On new cars with factory fitted immobilisers the alarm companies usually don't even add their own immobiliser as it messes with the ECU and can cause problems, they just leave the factory one as it's the best. Most low end new cars aren't stolen anymore unless by an opportunist thief at a petrol station or from outside houses when people are defrosting them.
    This may be the case for newer cars, but older factory-fitted immobilisers are by no means inpenetrable. I have a What Car magazine from '99 here where they tested 77 cars for security, and they were able to drive away 24 of them with "common tools". They all had immobilisers (it was law in the UK by then).
    mike65 wrote:
    1985 surely?
    People seem to hold on to their cars longer in the UK, somehow. I was last in England in 2000/2001 and was shocked to see the amount of old shyte like Cavaliers (even a Mk. I!), Sierras, etc. still on the road there. It was weird...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Curran wrote: »
    I'd say the Civic too - very bad reputation as being a target for thieves!

Why so :confused: Its not exactly a high performance car! Presumably they are piss easy to break into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I'm not kidding now it took him 1 min to steal it. As I just ran into the house for something.
    You need to move house! What model was it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

In Cork there are a lot of EG's still around the place(relative to the age of the car, there are lots of BMW E30s too, and there are still plenty of E36's as well), but seeing an EG that still has only OEM parts on it is about as frequent as Christmas.

Practically all EG's are modified(and a non OEM stereo is NOT a modified car), and there are plenty of JDMs too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Sizzler wrote: »
    Why so :confused: Its not exactly a high performance car! Presumably they are piss easy to break into?

Thats pretty much it, they are well known for being easy to steal, not that they are much easier, or other un-immobilised cars are much harder but they are reasonably fun to drive (joyride) compared to their counterparts, and the optimum breaking and starting method has been passed down from generation to generation of scumbag. Going back to the early 80's older scumbags would be tearing around the roads in robbed ones and the slighly younger scumbags would see them driving it and ask them for a spin and in doing so be regailed with the tale and technique of the theft.

Sizzler wrote: »

compared to most other cars that can be stolen in under 60sec the civic is a pretty quick machine, thats without taking into concideration the vtec ones.,
    funny thing is the older 88-91 civic was harder to steal than the later 92-95 civic. next to that car any pre 94ish fiat, pre 95 mirca's and a few others caould be taken with very little effort with the help of a 2way screwdriver or even just a key in the case of the mirca and fiats.,
    Beatman your not having any luck with cars at all lately., did you get it back yet?

vtec wrote: »
    a few others caould be taken with very little effort with the help of a 2way screwdriver or even just a key in the case of the mirca and fiats.,
    Did you ever see the trick with the hazard lights switch in the late 80s-early 90s (boxy) Corsa?

compared to most other cars that can be stolen in under 60sec the civic is a pretty quick machine, thats without taking into concideration the vtec ones.,
    funny thing is the older 88-91 civic was harder to steal than the later 92-95 civic. next to that car any pre 94ish fiat, pre 95 mirca's and a few others caould be taken with very little effort with the help of a 2way screwdriver or even just a key in the case of the mirca and fiats.,
    Beatman your not having any luck with cars at all lately., did you get it back yet?

The previous special edition had bent chassis so that needs to be scrapped!

And this one still in gannons waiting for prints. They had the car 15 min and managed to smash the front. Nothing major thou. The had a choice of 3 hondas outside but went for the one without a flashing light(alarm).

Like vtec said all the cars above you can steel with a spoon.

Most new cars with immobilisers are left alone, or stolen to order but then they come in to take the keys.

I actually live in a very quiet area and at the end of a cul the sac but it makes no difference. Cars go missing all the time.

The copper said to me that they do nothing with these cars, drive them to a field and burn them out. I saw the kid who took the last one so hopefully we get a conviction.

A few years back I was in court, testified and the guy got 6 months.

A few years back I was in court, testified and the guy got 6 months.
    That's very unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I came in thinking this is were we brag about the amount of cars we stole :(

That's very unusual.

I was lucky, the copper was great too.

So how many did you steal BlackWizard?

you should fit a trip switch on them in future beatman., i always do, aswell as an alarm and immobiliser and a nice long torque wrench behind the door incase i catch them in the act.,
    shame about the special ed., I love those civics.,

you should fit a trip switch on them in future beatman.
    Like a mercury trip switch.. and some semtex?

• Advertisement

Like a mercury trip switch.. and some semtex?

nah thats for after you follow him home., stick it under the little bastids bed.,lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I have a quick question for the OP. How did you find out your car was stolen

Here is a solution.

I got a friend who is a taxi man abroad and he has a mat that goes under the covers of all passager seats. Incase he gets attacked when he pushes a button it electricutes everyone but him. Like a stun gun but its a mat. Have that as part of your alarm.

Its illegal but so is stealing cars, something like that would bring this whole thing to a quick end

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Hah, that could come in useful in a case of some punter who won't pay the fare

*zap*

Yeah that too, but imagine the message that would send out.

A lot of kids have made this into a hobby and they do it every night. If they got zapped a few times they would think about it.

People seem to hold on to their cars longer in the UK, somehow. I was last in England in 2000/2001 and was shocked to see the amount of old shyte like Cavaliers (even a Mk. I!), Sierras, etc. still on the road there. It was weird...
    Two reasons I can think of:
    1. The roads are(were) much better so the cars didn't get shaken to bits - not true any more because of all the speed bumps everywhere.
    2. No scrappage deal like the one here in the 90's.
    But then again there are parts of rural Ireland where most cars are 10+ years old!

Advertisement