Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Sat Nav Stolen with anti-theft lock Will it still work.

Options
  • 12-12-2007 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

1st time poster. My husbands sat nav was stolen yesterday, it is a garmin nuvi 610T. He had it locked with the anti-theft device but I am just wondering is there anything else we should do to try and prevent this item from working again. From reading the manual it states that to get it unlocked you need to send it to Garmin as Garmin do not unlock items over phone. Do you think I should contact Garmin and provide the serial number and registration details incase anyone sends it in for unlocking?? Its brand spanking new hardly ever used and although we know we have no chance of ever seeing it again I would love to prevent anyone else from using it. Any advice will help greatly.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Hi lolipop, Defo inform garmin and local Gardai, email cartography.europe@garmin.com and ask for a stolen unit declaration report. It means it'll be flagged as stolen if someone tries to update it or if its ever sent back for repair. Little comfort now I know but still... AFAIK there are a couple of ways the anti theft measure works, if have to put in a pin everytime the unit is turned on then the scumbag will prob hurl it over a ditch as its no use to them.
    Sorry to hear, I know exactly how you feel. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

it's a tricky one.. i'd imagine there are ways to bypass a security lock as it would all be software related.

So the device could still be taken apart and used as for it's parts (screen, gps chip etc..) so it would hold some sort of value.. and i don't think any thief would be stupid enough to just throw it away..

then again i suppose these guys aren't tech savvy so if they can't use it, they'll probably try and sell it on so i'd imagine at some stage it will end up back at garmin, so if i were you i'd contact garmin as dannybuoy says.

it begs the question should we use those little stickers that come with the systems (the 'this device is locked, it's no good to you' stickers). On one hand it highlights the fact there is probably a gps in the car. On the other the tech savvy thief will know it's not worth the hassle as it's locked/useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Did you set your home location on it?

If so be careful that whoever has it can find out where you live and come back to rob your place while you're out.

I don't mean to scare you, but this kind of thing has happened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

I've heard of that aswell, generally if there's a bunch of keys thrown in the door pocket or glove box, that way the scumbag has the address and the keys...
    A hot one is making E50 if its working, if its not its generally dumped, thats from the horses mouth. Fast cash is what these guys are after.
    smemon, interesting point, tbh I've been burnt once so its not going to happen again. I wonder would these guys take a chance anyway and whip it.
    When leaving the car now I assume there will be nothing in it when I come back, then wonder if I'm leaving anything in it that would cause probs to replace, cards, keys, ipod, satnav etc. Not a nice way to live but welcome to Dublin 2007 (not only Dublin I know, I know).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    smemon, interesting point, tbh I've been burnt once so its not going to happen again. I wonder would these guys take a chance anyway and whip it.
    When leaving the car now I assume there will be nothing in it when I come back, then wonder if I'm leaving anything in it that would cause probs to replace, cards, keys, ipod, satnav etc. Not a nice way to live but welcome to Dublin 2007 (not only Dublin I know, I know).

i was in cardiff recently, and on stuck on the window of a lovely audi TT was an a4 printed page saying "there are no valuables in this car" in big bold letters :D

Should have taken a pic :rolleyes: anyway, it would be interesting to see how many thieves would actually take it on board.. if any.

In a way, you're doing their job for them by telling them it's not worth breaking in to. Then again, they could call you bluff or just smash you're car up for being a smartarse :p

I guess you have the right attitude - if you can do without it, leave it in the car, if not take it with you.

A nuvi 610T is slim enough, but it's tough trying to lug around some older models in the shirt pocket :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

what i don't understand is why garmin and other GPS companies don't offer some sort of theft finder device built in.
    so heres the situation:
    Your GPS gets robbed.
    The scumbag switches it on either to show his mates or to show a potential buyer.
    When it connects it shows up on their satelite server (whatever) as robbed. They can then contact the garda who will follow up on it. Get the deivce back off the robber/illegal customer.
    They hand it back to you. You mark it as not robbed anymore.
    Thus, saving few€€€'s

Is there such a system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Jesus I had my house set as home on mine, I will delete it now, its scary to think of!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

congo_90 wrote: »
    what i don't understand is why garmin and other GPS companies don't offer some sort of theft finder device built in.
    so heres the situation:
    Your GPS gets robbed.
    The scumbag switches it on either to show his mates or to show a potential buyer.
    When it connects it shows up on their satelite server (whatever) as robbed.

(...)
    Is there such a system?

GPS devices are only receivers. They don't have the ability to broadcast back to the satellites.

The only way this would work is if the anti-theft validation was done when the GPS device was connected to a computer to download updates, etc. The same could be said for iPods, mobiles, computers, etc. The reason it's not done by manufactures is that it would be too expensive to implement for so little benefit - you getting your device back does not benefit the manufacturer, so they'd have to pass the cost of it directly on to the consumer. Adding the device to your house insurance policy would probably be cheaper than the cost of subscribing to a "theft database" type service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

If so be careful that whoever has it can find out where you live and come back to rob your place while you're out.

I don't mean to scare you, but this kind of thing has happened before.

That's garbage. Why would they go to the trouble of finding the OPs house, when there are plenty of other unoccupied houses - which are probably closer - to rob.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

JHMEG wrote: »
    That's garbage. Why would they go to the trouble of finding the OPs house, when there are plenty of other unoccupied houses - which are probably closer - to rob.

2 reasons why its not garbage.
    If its a decent motor they took it from they might want to get the keys for it. They would be in the owners house, would they not...?

Also, people who have sat nav systems are more likely to be gadget fans, thus probably having a stock of saleable goods in their house. Easy pickings for thieves. Small-medium gadgets are what they go for, easier to carry/conceal/sell etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

LuckyStar wrote: »
    Jesus I had my house set as home on mine, I will delete it now, its scary to think of!!!

If you need your home address just call the waypoint something different in the GPS not home

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Or, due to some models using 'home' as an unlock device incase you forget your pin set your home as somewhere you'll remember, eg. golf club/work/anywhere else where if the thief follows the 'home' button, they won't find your keys unattended.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

masseyno9 wrote: »
    Or, due to some models using 'home' as an unlock device incase you forget your pin set your home as somewhere you'll remember, eg. golf club/work/anywhere else where if the thief follows the 'home' button, they won't find your keys unattended.
    :confused:
    You can set the unlock location anywhere you like, plus it doesn't AFAIK have to be named as an entry in your favourites, home or otherwise.

Plus, if the unit is locked with the PIN as it should be, then the thief can't access the device to find out where 'home' is anyway, so the device is essentially useless to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lolipop

Hi all,

Thanks a mill for all your replys. I took your advice and emailed garmin directly to inform them of stolen sat nav. It is now flagged as a stolen item and will be returned to us if it ever makes it way for repair or unlocking - although the likely hood of this happening is slim I know. I would urge all sat nav holders to lock their sat nav with pin as altho it won't deter the scum that steal them from you, your info like "home" etc. will not be retrieved as the correct pin will not be entered. Anyhow, thank you again and I will let ye all know if it makes an appearance along with our stolen vehicle. Fingers crossed.

Loli

Advertisement