Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Leak in House

Options
  • 12-12-2007 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We just bought a 2 year old house there recently. The meter was locked when we moved in so we had to order a Bord Gáis Rep. out to turn it back on. He then told us that there was a leak in the pipe and that he could not turn the gas back on until the leak was fixed.. We are now told that the Builders are not responsible, since when the gas was turned on originally, there must have been no leaks - hence they are not liable.. Bord Gáis have also absolved themselves from blame since they are not responsible for any pipes inside the house.. In the 2 years since the house was built there were no wooden floors put down which might have led to a nail rupturing one of the pipes. Therefore we are clueless as to how this might have happened and who, if anybody could be held liable because of it.. Any help or stories of similar experiences would be most appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Ok did Bord Gáis pressure test ? and is this how they found out about the leak!..

Did they say how bad was the leak.!

I had a a guy from Bord Gáis test our system and they found a leak but he came into the house and we were lucky in that there was an isolator switch on the gas fire so he turned that off and there was still a leak. He then turned off the Gas cooker isolator re tested and the leak had stopped. Turned out the plumber who installed the Cooker didnt do a good job.... Got them back and they fixed the leak (is was a very slow leak though)

I suppose a quick check is get to Woodies and get some of that gas detection spray.

If its a gas oven sprey over connections on the pipe to see if theer are bubbles. Do the same to the gas fire and see if you see bubbles. If you find bubbles get a plumber out to fix (cost about 100-150)

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 4 barryjmay

Yeah he did pressure test..he isolated the fire, boiler and cooker but could not pinpoint where the leak was so he reckons its somewhere in the pipes.. But he could not find out exactly where the leak was cause he didnt have the right equipment.. We have an approved installer coming tomorrow so we'll lknow our fate then and what needs to be done..

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

garyh3 wrote: »

I suppose a quick check is get to Woodies and get some of that gas detection spray.
    If its a gas oven sprey over connections on the pipe to see if theer are bubbles. Do the same to the gas fire and see if you see bubbles.

Garyh3

Easier than that, just use water and washing up liquid.
    Thats what I have seen the Bord Gais guys use over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,101 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

chef wrote: »
    Easier than that, just use water and washing up liquid.
    Thats what I have seen the Bord Gais guys use over the years.

Years ago, I saw a Dublin Gas installer test a joint for leaks by holding a match up to it...

Edit: Need I add, do NOT try this at home kids!

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Advertisement