Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oracle install for single developer

Options
  • 12-12-2007 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hello everyone.

I am doing some work from home and it would be very convenient if I could have a locally installed version of Oracle to interact with, rather than have to reach across a VPN to the company database. I vaguely remember hearing in the past that there were single developer licenses for Oracle for free or very cheap. But I also heard, more recently, that Oracle stopped that practice recently, and there is no cost-effective way of doing this.

A quick Google around this subject didn't throw up anything usefull, but I didn't want to give up without consulting the community.

I *do not* want to put a hooky pirated copy on my machine, or to use it without a license. I'm trying to find the legal way of doing this. If I can't, then I'll muddle through connecting to the company's server somehow, but experiments so far have shown that to be crippling slow.

Any ideas folks?

TC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭FindingNemo

turncorner wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

I am doing some work from home and it would be very convenient if I could have a locally installed version of Oracle to interact with, rather than have to reach across a VPN to the company database. I vaguely remember hearing in the past that there were single developer licenses for Oracle for free or very cheap. But I also heard, more recently, that Oracle stopped that practice recently, and there is no cost-effective way of doing this.

A quick Google around this subject didn't throw up anything usefull, but I didn't want to give up without consulting the community.

I *do not* want to put a hooky pirated copy on my machine, or to use it without a license. I'm trying to find the legal way of doing this. If I can't, then I'll muddle through connecting to the company's server somehow, but experiments so far have shown that to be crippling slow.

Any ideas folks?

TC

why not just download one of the express products ?

http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 turncorner

Wow, that was a quick and immensely helpfull response. That looks like exactly what I am looking for. Just didn't use the right combination of search terms, I suppose.

Many thanks, FindingNemo.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Also if you intend to use Oracle applications then a company called solutionbeacon provide a free Oracle vision instance. As does oraclecontractors.com

Advertisement