Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish broadband & Linksys Wireless router

Options
  • 12-12-2007 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Friend rang me earlier, he has Irish Broadband (I presume the Broadband in a box - will confirm another time) and bought a Linksys WRT54G wireless router, he wants to use the Laptop wirelessly around the house

I presume there wouldn't be a problem here? Would it just be a case of plugging the Irish broadband 'box' CAT5 cable into the Internet port on the Linksys?

Does Irish Broadband use DHCP or static? If DHCP I presume it's just a matter of plugging in, like above? (And then setting wireless settings/security for laptop)

Any advise appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

What ever his existing PC settings for TCP/IP properties are, they go in the Linksys WAN settings.

Then the existing PC/Laptops can use new Static or DHCP + WPA for WiFi

The details depend on which of the 4 IBB systems he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I rang him back to ask what system he has.

He said he has an antenna mounted on the chimney and a 'white box' in the house. I presume this box will have wither 1/2 coax cables going to the antenna, and then a an RJ45 port which would be connected directly to the laptop.

So it's just a matter of plugging this into the Internet port on the Linksys?

If Irish Broadband use static IP's can't I just get this info from the laptop's TCP/IP settings, and copy it into the config on the Linksys?

Would be interesting to know if they use static or DHCP

-Edit- Sounds like he has the 'Breeze' package

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

They would have just left a little booklet with the connection details and yes it's Static, you need 4 things, IP, subnet, Gateway, DNS server, their going to be

if the computer is connected already and working, go to RUN, type CMD and then in the black window, Type: ipconfig /all
    that will display a list, look for the adapter with the public IP's (Not 192.168.x.x or 164.x.x) they all you need to do is type then into the linksys web interface.

They would have just left a little booklet with the connection details and yes it's Static, you need 4 things, IP, subnet, Gateway, DNS server, their going to be

if the computer is connected already and working, go to RUN, type CMD and then in the black window, Type: ipconfig /all
    that will display a list, look for the adapter with the public IP's (Not 192.168.x.x or 164.x.x) they all you need to do is type then into the linksys web interface.

Many thanks I suspected they provided static IP's alright.

Are the following IP's you provided the DNS server addresses?

Yes They are DNS:
    Primary: 62.231.32.10
    Sec: 62.231.32.11

Don't forget your subnet is going to be 255.255.255.128 or 255.255.255.192 it won't end with the .0, alot of people make that mistake

• Advertisement

Yes They are DNS:
    Primary: 62.231.32.10
    Sec: 62.231.32.11

Don't forget your subnet is going to be 255.255.255.128 or 255.255.255.192 it won't end with the .0, alot of people make that mistake

ipconfig /all will tell me what subnet it's running on hopefully, but I will take note of those subnets.

You are right, depending on what class IP I saw i'd tend to just use the standard subnet. ie if it was a Class C i'd tend to just use 255.255.255.0 ....

Ah VLSM, the bane of my life! Nice use of IP addresses though, saves them going to waste

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Not nessicerily with IBB, they do use sub divided classful IP address so, you subnet mask might be 255.255.255.0 or could be 224 or 244 or 252 or any of the variable for VLSM. Just confirm with them the full details of your IP address' to be used this inc
    IP
    SNM
    DFG

DNS1: 62.231.32.10
    DNS2: 62.231.32.11

I e-mailed them and replied almost instantly (after 6PM!) Fairplay Irish BB

They confirmed they use static IP's. They told me to ring them if I needed the IP/Subnet/Gateway details, but wouldn't give them to me over email (fair enough)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lmachen

I've just moved to Ireland from the US and am having problems with my Linksys wrtp54g router and Irish Broadband. My house has the same WiMax fixed wireless mentioned earlier in the thread, my PC is working with the static IP settings from IBB, but my router can't get a connection when I plug in the same IP/subnet/gateway/DNS.

I called IBB and they said they aren't qualified to troubleshoot problems on a Linksys router, but their online docs pretty much tell me I'm doing things correctly.

These settings should enable my router to get a connection but the "internet" light isn't going on. My PC is able to get an IP address from the router so I assume there's no problem there, though I tried all the subnet variations of 255.255.255.xxx as mentioned above just to be sure.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Ok you really need to find the correct settings for your connection, particularly subnet settings (255.255.255.128 or 192) on the WAN connection

• Advertisement

yes i know. but do the wan settings matter when the router can't even get a connection?

Yes, whats your settings?, can you post your gateway and subnet, if the router can't connect then it's a problem in your WAN settings, it's on the first page of the router when you log into the interface.

on the first page of the web interface i've got:
    ip address
    subnet 255.255.255.192 (are you saying i need to try other combinations of this one?)
    gateway 83.141.72.65
    dns (the 2 listed above starting w/ 62)

above is exactly what's currently plugged into my tcp/ip settings on my PC. when i try the router i tell the PC to get IP and DNS automatically.

also on the router web interface:

local IP address 192.168.15.1
    subnet mask 255.255.255.x (for x i've tried 0, 192, and all the other options)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Try setting local ip address to 192.168.1.1 and 255.255.255.0. Then enable dhcp server and set the starting ip address to 192.168.1.100.

See if your PC can connect then (try connecting to router using a wired cable first). If you can't connect, set a static ip address on your pc of 192.168.1.101, 255.255.255.0 and gateway and dns as 192.168.1.1.

Of course perhaps the first thing you should do is on the router web config page go to Administration->Diagnostics and see if ping and traceroute works.

my PC can connect to the router and get an IP address with no problem. I changed the router IP to 192.168.1.1 as you suggested, it still gets an IP address but still can't connect to the internet.

I went to the admin page but it wasn't helpful. Traceroute didn't do anything, ping pinged the router successfully.

Is there any chance my settings for the LAN need to change? They're exactly what i'm using at the moment w/ my PC plugged direcly into the modem (no router). Is there some add'l setting I need on my Linksys wrtp54g?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Not sure what page it's on, but make sure the Linksys is in Gateway mode and not router mode....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

lmachen wrote: »
    Traceroute didn't do anything, ping pinged the router successfully.
    And what site did you ping? Obviously the router can ping itself, but did you try pinging www.google.ie for example?
    lmachen wrote: »
    Is there any chance my settings for the LAN need to change?
    Pretty sure they don't. I certainly didn't have to alter any settings to get my pc's working with the router.
    macrubicon wrote:
    Not sure what page it's on, but make sure the Linksys is in Gateway mode and not router mode....
    Setup->advanced routing.

Advertisement