Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it expensive to rent a room or apartment in mayo

Options
  • 12-12-2007 6:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I am Irish 40 ish wanting to move to west to reduce costs and make life easier than expensive Dublin and when I can change my work to part time anywhere in Ireland and do more body surfing with a small board like I used to do in southern hemisphere where I worked in the past and with reduced income from part time work need more cheaper solutions

I need a suitable room and or solution starting in March to May 2008

I was thinking I could try Mayo that year and if that wasn't to my liking I could try Kerry or Donegal next year
    I would look to rent either a room in a house with one or two others or single apartments or bedsit or similar or small cottage
    I don't need to be near to expensive holiday resort places so inland places a bit off the beaten track are not a problem as i don't drink so I can drive my car all the time

any ideas and info on typical costs like for example

Somebody says my bedsit one bedroom xx sg.ft over shop xyz in town example Caslebar cost xxx Euros per week gives me ideas on cost in the region
    If the prices are WAY too high I will opt to get a old second hand camper van instead which I did before for a few years in southern hemisphere as that was very cheap

DERRY

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Hi derry, welcome to the country!

i don't know about prices in Castlebar but i know you can rent long term (cottage type) for about €100 a week in Achill. This is the best time of year to look but avoid the "holiday villages" they are really expensive.

Best of luck, think it's a great idea! but then again i would lol.

katrina

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

RE:themadchef

thanks for the info
    when you say cottage is that one bedroom and one living room
    price sounds to possible in my budjet

I could also look to do some hangliding from local hills

you wont get a doghouse in dublin for 100 euros

derry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I would say you could definitely rent a small house/ cottage anywhere in rural Mayo for €100.

Rooms would be less again.

You would probably get an apartment in Castlebar or Westport for €100 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭JMULL

Come down to Mayo and check out some places like Achill, Belmullet, Ballycastle. All near beaches for surfing. Put an ad in the Western People (north mayo) or mayo news (west mayo) stating what you are looking for. you will get loads of offers

I hope to do a couple of short stays in January Febuary 2008 to ssee the story up close based on this useful feed back

I only been twice in Mayo once for weekend 1976 as kid doing a scouts camping outing and 2007 july dropping my Neice to Glenans sailing course in Westport

Cottage sounds the best idea as bit more space for mayby parking car and drying out wet suits and stacking body and surf boards out the back whatever

Derry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Easily get a room in a house or a flat for less than a ton a week in C'bar. rented for years there and never paid more than €65 in some decent houses in good areas.

Just pick up the Connaught when you get into town, look around and you will get a place quite easily.

Thanx 4 The Fish

excelent info

I like 65 a lot better than 100

way things look like I will visit in late January and Febuary to get the lie of the land

derry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

My Dad rents out rooms(ensuites) in a house near Westport Town Centre for €60-€75, reasonably decent quality rooms. Good enough views.

Good Luck on your travels OP

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Talking about Castlebar: avoid places like Knockthomas and Rowan Drive unless you want the scumbags robbing you and stressing you out though. Chestnut Grove and Aglish Estate were always nice spots (infact, I remember Thanx for the Fish's flat in Chestnut Grove and it wasn't a bad spot! ;))

I certainly don't want to have my gear stolen so will avoid those regions

thanks

RE:nevf

I will PM U probably in a few weeks for yours dads number

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement