Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Scotland to Dublin

Options
  • 12-12-2007 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Wasn't sure what forum to put this in, travel of motors - sorry mods, feel free to move it.

I passed my test back in July and it looks like I might have to drive home from the UK for Christmas. I really need the car when I'm home and well, no company will hire me one as I haven't had my licence a full year yet.

Anyway, if I do take that option, it'll be my first long trip. I'll be going Glasgow to Stranraer > Ferry > Belfast to Dublin.

I'm not an overly nervous driver and I take a pretty intense motorway to work every day. So, although a little nervous at the idea, I thnk I'd be OK.

Does anyone have any advice about doing this type of trip for the first time, or the specific route? It is really hellish and awful? Any places to avoid?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Its an easy drive. I've done it a few times. The road from Glasgow to Stranraer has a few average speed cameras on the way, and it gets twisty the closer you get the Stranraer, so just give your self enough time to catch your ferry as you have to go through quite a few small villages and slow down so your average speed won't be very high

Belfast to Dublin should be a doddle after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Make sure your car is in good working order, water/oil/petrol topped up and that your spare tyre and all your puncture repair needs are in your boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

What they said :D You have motorway for a good way out of Glasgow toward Kilmarnock, you do get onto lesser roads after that. Once you give yourself plenty of time then just enjoy the spin. Leaving Belfast is a doddle coming off the ferry and you have motorway/dual carraigeway from outside Newry all the way to Dublin now. I frequently do the Dublin airport from Dundalk and its 40 minutes now so I guess that you are doing the Belfast to Dublin in about 90 mins pretty easily. Last I heard the toll bridge on the M1 didn't take sterling so you may want to research that before you get into the wrong lanes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Last I heard the toll bridge on the M1 didn't take sterling so you may want to research that before you get into the wrong lanes!

Definitely won't take Pound notes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Thanks for the tips and advice everyone - much appreciated :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement