Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC spec for CS3?

Options
  • 12-12-2007 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

I just got Adobe CS3 Web Premium at a good price. I know somebody running Illustrator CS2 on a dual core machine with 2Gb of RAM on XP and it crawls. Anybody running it on a windows machine with decent performance and if so what spec? Anybody running it on Vista?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

intel quad core 8mb cache

4 gig of 1066mhz ram

dual 10k rpm raptors in stripemode

should be decent enough power

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Well i've CS2 on a laptop of 1GB and it runs sweetly. Surely CS3 can't be that much more hungry? Depends what you editing I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

intel quad core 8mb cache

4 gig of 1066mhz ram

dual 10k rpm raptors in stripemode

should be decent enough power

You dont need this much power to run photoshop or illustrator.

It runs fine on a 1gb laptop for me too.

However, if you were working with really, really high res images or files with hundreds or layers than more power could surely help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I haven't actually upgraded to CS3 yet ... but the spec of the machines you are talking about seem very capable of handling it.

It may be a case of bloatware being installed on the machines ?

For example having 100's of fonts can cause a slow down on load.

If you are dealing with print media then things can start slowing down a bit

If this is a major concern for you as was mentioned get yourself some high speed drives (the ones I think mentioned were raptors from WD). PS using scratch disks can cause a slow down so if possible have the scratch disk on a different disk than the one you are saving your files to.

Get yourself the full 4gbs of ram that your machine can handle as well (2gbs should be enough for most things but ram is cheap these days .. 100eur will get you 4gbs)

apart from that any dual core machine should be more than capable

My own setup at the moment is ... an XPS gen 3 machine
    2.8ghz p4 ... 2.5gb ram ... and I've no problems. I was working on a calendar recently at 300dpi .. and load times for it were a bit slow ... but for the most part it was rather fast

as I said I'd assume its bloatware on the machine causing the slowdowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Thanks for the advice. The CS2 machine I mentioned was indeed doing a lot of print work, and would have a large collection of fonts installed.
    4 gig of 1066mhz ram
    It was my understanding that you needed a 64 bit version of windows if you wanted to access more than 3.2Gb?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

squibs wrote: »
    It was my understanding that you needed a 64 bit version of windows if you wanted to access more than 3.2Gb?

Yup this is correct

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

grahamor wrote: »
    You dont need this much power to run photoshop or illustrator.

It runs fine on a 1gb laptop for me too.

There arnt many pcs it wont run on but if your actually using it, you will want a decent computer, alot of the pro's are upto 16gb and beyond,

Advertisement