Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Licence rules for towwing more than 750kgs

Options
  • 12-12-2007 7:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I got my license last year at 40 ish even though been driving for years in southern hemisphere but some problem so needed to sit test in Ireland ......go figure

it has class B limited to 750kgs trailer piture with small trailer on the licence

how do I get the bigger rating to do more than 750KG full B piture with big caravan on the licence

sit the test again ???

My car is Suziki swift 900cc pre 2000
    whats the max allowable towing I/2 the weight of car would that be something like 1000KGs

I want to tow smallish 2/4 berth caravan which might be close to 1000kgs no idea dont know how heavy caravans are got to buy one first preferably second hand cheapest possible

If the car is not big enough to do the job will borrow my brothers Volvo 40 1800cc pre 2000 and use that instead
    it would probably be only one tow per year place in sites in west somewhereand leave there and change to new location the next year if I got bored and wanted to change location

Derry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

I dont think a 900cc car pulling a tonne caravan is very advisable.
    I drive a 1000cc engined car and cant imangne it getting very far with that weight behind it.
    Even if you got her going the engine would be under ferce pressure and could cause problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You'l probably burn the clutch to bits trying to take off!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Heres what happens when a small car like that tries to get a caravan up a hill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAfZ1N56qjY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

susuki swift is 990-1070 kg so pulling a 750 kg isn't smart... besides , no gardi will say " here you boyo , what weight is this caravan ?? "

if your gonna tow a caravan atleast have a deisil... :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

RE:chris85
    where did you find that vidio LOL
    Ok scratch small car towing caravan and borrow brothers car

RE:S.I.R
    if I have accident garda will twig licence is no good and insurance company wont pay up as I would not be insured so its messy to exceed 750kgs

derry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

A category 'B' licence allows you to tow a bigger trailer than 750kg Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)

You can tow a larger trailer provided -
    The gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle AND the combined GVW (i.e. car and trailer together) does not exceed 3500kg.

(N.B: The Vehicle manufacturers recommended towing weights must not be exceeded).

If you wish to drive a combination over 3500kg you must pass a category 'EB' driving test.

No matter how I read this I cant exceed 750KG total for trailer

http://www.transport.ie/roads/licensing/licence/index.asp?lang=ENG&loc=1836#Towing_a_Trailer

If you hold a category B licence and wish to tow a trailer you may do so provided
    (1) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle and the combination does not exceed 3500 kg or
    (2) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed 750 kg.
    If you wish to tow a heavier trailer you must hold a category EB licence.

another section says

Vehicles (other than motorcycles, mopeds, work vehicles or land tractors) having a design gross vehicle weight not exceeding 3,500 kg and having passenger accommodation for not more than 8 persons and where the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer is not greater than 750kg

I am no expert on caravan weight but suspect that 2 berth is close to 750kg and 4 berth could be closer to 1000kgs

Assuming I used volvo v40 1800 (wild guess )1500kgs total combined with 2 berth caravan is 2250KGs and the 4 berth at 1000kgs would still be less than 3500kgs at 2500kgs but would break the B licence rule at over 750kgs and would need EB licence

My brother got given EB licence automaticaly when he got his new one since he had a licence in ireland for 30 years

Will I get EB automaticaly after 2 years or some such rule or must I do a a complete resit of the car test to get EB and would test need me to tow a dirty big caravan around to the test or is it just some extra written test or something

seems to be no way on the dept transport site to figure out what the story is

EDIT this link from newsapaper say you need to tow a dirty big trailer to the test centre to do a EB test
    Its really stupid I have to get a newspaper to tell me some of the info

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/motors/2007/0124/1169426827757.html

Derry

derry wrote: »
    No matter how I read this I cant exceed 750KG total for trailer

http://www.transport.ie/roads/licensing/licence/index.asp?lang=ENG&loc=1836#Towing_a_Trailer

If you hold a category B licence and wish to tow a trailer you may do so provided
    (1) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle and the combination does not exceed 3500 kg or
    (2) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed 750 kg.
    If you wish to tow a heavier trailer you must hold a category EB licence.

another section says

Vehicles (other than motorcycles, mopeds, work vehicles or land tractors) having a design gross vehicle weight not exceeding 3,500 kg and having passenger accommodation for not more than 8 persons and where the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer is not greater than 750kg

I am no expert on caravan weight but suspect that 2 berth is close to 750kg and 4 berth could be closer to 1000kgs

Assuming I used volvo v40 1800 (wild guess )1500kgs total combined with 2 berth caravan is 2250KGs and the 4 berth at 1000kgs would still be less than 3500kgs at 2500kgs but would break the B licence rule at over 750kgs and would need EB licence

My brother got given EB licence automaticaly when he got his new one since he had a licence in ireland for 30 years

Will I get EB automaticaly after 2 years or some such rule or must I do a a complete resit of the car test to get EB and would test need me to tow a dirty big caravan around to the test or is it just some extra written test or something

seems to be no way on the dept transport site to figure out what the story is

EDIT this link from newsapaper say you need to tow a dirty big trailer to the test centre to do a EB test
    Its really stupid I have to get a newspaper to tell me some of the info

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/motors/2007/0124/1169426827757.html

Derry

PS noticed the small car towing vidio doesnt work so here is new one same vidio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flyxlk-csj0&feature=related

Advertisement