Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Operation Freeflow a success (for me anyhow)

Options
  • 12-12-2007 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

Since Operation Freeflow came in to operation last week I have found traffic moving much better and I'm burning much less petrol stuck in traffic jams. I have about 1/8 of a tank more petrol at this time in the week than I normally would.
    Gimps are actually observing the rules with regard to traffic lights and yellow boxes.
    I find fewer people are using the bus lanes to skip the queues and then barge back in to line. I figure that the absence of queue jumping is saving me about 3 minutes per junction on some of the more congested junctions on my route to work in West Dublin.
    Saw an Impreza pulled in by a Garda at one of these junctions on the way home today. I think a car pulled in by a Garda at a junction has greater effect than any amount of luminous orange wand waving.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Good news for you mailman, maybe now consider doing the lotto given your current luck :)
    My experiences are a series of disasters this year - although I know the extra cars on the roads with xmas shoppers doesnt help with a fair reflection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

No, didn't win the lotto last night so will still have to go to work but at least the roads in to work run smoother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Some of it is fairly silly... eg. Anyone familiar with Tallaght... If you're coming from the Garda station, heading up the Belgard road, there's a pedestrian crossing going from McDonald's to the Abberley. Operation Freeflow has TWO Gardaí there, just waving the cars on and every so often letting people cross. I couldn't hold in a snigger as I crossed, because our boys in blue were basically just being lollipop ladies!!! At a pedestrian crossing where there is never any traffic trouble! Utterly silly.

Having said that, when they're in appropriate locations, they act as good deterrents at yellow boxes, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Some of it is fairly silly... eg. Anyone familiar with Tallaght... If you're coming from the Garda station, heading up the Belgard road, there's a pedestrian crossing going from McDonald's to the Abberley. Operation Freeflow has TWO Gardaí there, just waving the cars on and every so often letting people cross. I couldn't hold in a snigger as I crossed, because our boys in blue were basically just being lollipop ladies!!! At a pedestrian crossing where there is never any traffic trouble! Utterly silly.

Having said that, when they're in appropriate locations, they act as good deterrents at yellow boxes, etc.

I noticed that.the odd wave or else they seem to be sitting on the railings,they've been in around park west and traffic seems worse than normal,also just up past cloverhill at the junction for liffey valley has gotten 10 times worse since there there.

How is town fairing out?Is there any "safe" time to go in in the evenings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

They do a great job when they direct my lane of traffic through.
    They do a ****e job when they tell me to stop.

Seriously though, one problem I do have on dark evenings is actually trying to see them on the road! I almost ploughed through lights the last day without noticing the guard.

I wish they'd jump in at other junctions though! More guards !

The yearly question - why can't we have operation freeflow all year round?

• Advertisement
Advertisement