Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did Anyone Catch Dave McSavage at the Tripod Last Saturday?

• 12-12-2007 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

The reason I ask the above question is simple - I am dying to know if he had ANY new material or if it was the same old stuff:

1. Lice infested pidgeon song
    2. Granny **** song
    3. Junkies are my friends bit
    4. Koreans sound JUST like knackers/junkies bit
    5. Irish women's voices are proof of sexual frustration bit
    6. "IRA runaway" song
    etc

Unlike a lot of people, I actually think that McSavage has some talent - just some, mind you - but, having said that, I find it to be literally mind-blowing how he continues to plod out the same old material time and time and time again. After seeing a recording of his rather ****e Late Late Show appearance recently, I think I saw the faint outlines of some new material (mostly about jizzing on children in Thailand, if memory serves me correctly), but I can't be sure.

Can anyone reading this - and who was at McSavage's Tripod gig (or any recent gig, i.e. in the last 90 days) - please let me know if he does indeed have some new material, or is he still coasting on the same old jokes of yesteryear?

Cheers,

T

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i saw him in the battle of the axe a while ago, both before and after the late late appearance and both times was brand new material, no guitar, very funny if you ever liked his offensive style of comedy!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tempelton

i saw him in the battle of the axe a while ago, both before and after the late late appearance and both times was brand new material, no guitar, very funny if you ever liked his offensive style of comedy!

Really? Brand new material? Sounds promising! I presume you were familiar with his previous output? Could you possibly give me an idea of what his new material is covering - and also, if you don't mind, perhaps a mini-review of how the Tripod gig went...

Cheers,

T

i wasnt at the tripod gig unfortunatley, i would have gone but everyone who i asked to go was of the same "he hasnt had new material in YEARS" mindset! his new stuff i dont remember off hand (because i had to follow him BOTH times) but i do remember it being very funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tempelton

i wasnt at the tripod gig unfortunatley, i would have gone but everyone who i asked to go was of the same "he hasnt had new material in YEARS" mindset! his new stuff i dont remember off hand (because i had to follow him BOTH times) but i do remember it being very funny!

Oh! You're a comic too. Sorry if I missed that (I didn't really read any other posts here). Cool! So, where do you gig mostly? Is it a regular thing? How is the money? And who are your comic gurus, so the speak?

As for McSavage, me and a friend of mine - who follow his career quite closely - were sitting in a strange little hostel in the Czech countryside last week concocting a plan to drive some nails through the Irish comedy world. We're trying to come up with a Brasseye-style YouTube presentation on the state of Irish comedy, particularly focusing on McSavage, Tiernan, Ed Byrne and Bishop. But, if as you say, McSavage is getting it in gear, we will have to re-examine the evidence and reappraise the situation. I would be happy to see him come out swinging with some new material - when he is on the money, few Irish comics hit the nail so ****ing firmly on the head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Sheepskin

Hey I will give it to McSavage in that he IS funny when he wants to be. His Late Late Show appearance clearly had the audience in stitches including Plank Kenny.
    However he does need to innovate, and hone in on his act and start giving VALUE for money.
    Otherwise he will forever remain doing gigs on the street to people who don't understand what he is saying or to drunks, the homeless and drug munchers.
    Very much like that old grey haired guy who sells his own books whilst sitting on his arse outside the Bank on Morehampton Street. Forgot his name folks sorry.

My second point is this: Tommy Tiernan, the man who sells out Vicar St regularly. Where is the Funny in Funnyman here, as I dont get it.
    I have tried to laugh, and even sat through one or two of his shows WITHOUT laughing NOT once folks.

I'm not old or anything like that, but I just don't get his comedy at all. I have heard people quote him and talk about his jokes at weddings and Xmas etc but I dont laugh. Why?? Am i becoming a freak??

So please can someone explain 1 Why Tieran is soo funny and sucessful
    2 Where is his groundbreaking comedy?

• Advertisement

Tempelton wrote: »
    Oh! You're a comic too. Sorry if I missed that (I didn't really read any other posts here). Cool! So, where do you gig mostly? Is it a regular thing? How is the money? And who are your comic gurus, so the speak?

i gig werever i can (aka werever will have me!) there is no money in it yet, im still an artiste, but hopefully there will be some in the not too distant future. as for comedy gurus: the usual suspects ya kno:

bill hicks
    billy connolly
    Mitch hedberg
    basically the tru innovators of stand up comedy

then the irish lads that proove it can be done:
    tommy
    jayo byrne
    maxwell
    etc

then the unknown on the open mic scene:
    damon blake
    robbie bohnam
    colm o reigan

there are more but i cant think of them right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Stay on topic folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭walt0r

Regardless of what anyone says I think he's a very funny comedian. A lot of people don't like him because he is so arrogant. But still a funny guy who needs to keep his stuff new (sometimes it is regurgitated)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Sheepskin wrote: »
    Very much like that old grey haired guy who sells his own books whilst sitting on his arse outside the Bank on Morehampton Street. Forgot his name folks sorry.

you forgot the original comedian Pat Ingoldsby?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Sheepskin

I have to say that the Irish comedian Dave McSavage is losing all credibility with me now.

I can not believe it but its true! I was walking through Temple Bar around the end of Dec and there he was doing his "Irish Accent is like the Korean Accent" bit.

Then he started doing a "**** Face" unintentional as it was Im sure, to accentuate the Korean guise on his face.

I'm soo dissapointed in Dave, a man I thought had got some talent , to realised that he has not the talent to add new material to his ageing act.

At the end of the show, I lazily walked up to his "money hat" and promptly chucked in my half eaten ham sandwitch.

I was reminded of his 'Late Late Show' appearance where Pat kenny showed the country his non - existant "TV Show", where Dave , red faced and wearing a country bumpkin guise, told us how to cook "chicken".

Yeah it could have raised a smirk to 13 year olds, but the amateur nature of it and the simple fact that it was not that funny at all, reminded me of dead act slightly brimmering now and again with shame.

Predictions for New Year 2008: Dave Mcsavage commits suicide by self anal rape.

• Advertisement
Advertisement