Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEST veggie Indian restaurant in Dublin

Options
  • 12-12-2007 10:09pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Reading the recipe for Dosas in the Guardian link reminded me about my favourite restaurant in Dublin - and the fact I'd forgotten to post about it here

It's called Medina and it's on Mary St (the continuation of Henry St). There's a fantastic asian store beside where you can get bug bags of nuts, spices and lentils at the cheapest prices in Dublin. It's the only place I know that sells panner..mm..paneer...

Anyway so that's the store but the restaurant is great. They're sort of a muslim restaurant as well so they don't serve any alcohol but don't let that stop you going -Their menu is divided into Vegetarian and Non-Vegetarian - both menus the same size (shock!)

It's great - highly recommended - REAL Indian food.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I would second this comment, There food is great and i would recommend it to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

So no meat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Madina has a meat menu and an extensive veg menu. All the veg food is cooked in a separate area away from the meat so there is no contamination. The place caters mainly to Indian customers and the food is not only fanatstic but about as authentic as you're likely to find this side of Kerala. Try the masala dosa - you'll feel exactly like you're in southern India.

Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Kemos wrote: »
    So no meat?

Did you actually read the post. "THEIR MENU IS DIVIDED INTO VEGETARIAN AND NON-VEGETARIAN"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Is there a link to the menu? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

Oh I always go there with my boyfriend because it's the cheapest place to eat a good dinner in town. The music is ridiculous but the food is gorgeous. Get their peshawari naan. And onion bajhee and veg samosas.

Sometimes we're the only non indians there so the food must be very authentic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I usually go to Jaiper on Georges street. Is Medina expensive ?

I was there afew days ago.Its not that expensive but very nice.The music is good if you understand it. :)

Tusky wrote: »
    I usually go to Jaiper on Georges street. Is Medina expensive ?

Wasn't too impressed by Jaipur at all. Not bad but not to my taste. Everything tasted too sweet. Compared to Jaipur, Medina is inexpensive and the food is pretty good...

I am absolutly dying to get to Dublin to try this out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Went passed Medina yesterday and had a look at the menu. They have prawn dishes on the vegetarian menu. Does that mean that Muslim vegetarians consider seafood to be ok to eat, or does it just mean that the chefs don't know what a vegetarian is?
    taconnol wrote: »
    Their menu is divided into Vegetarian and Non-Vegetarian - both menus the same size (shock!)

About 1/3 of the veggie menu is seafood so I'd say it's about 60-70% non-veggie

Take no notice of Nature Boy.

The prawn dishes are listed separately, at the bottom of the page with all the veggie options above, quite clearly marked as separate. Only somebody who wanted to deliberately cloud the issue could make the mistake Nature Boy does. Despite his jibe at "muslim vegetarians" I'm sure he must know that the majority of Indian vegetarians are in fact Hindus rather than Muslims, and that this amazing south-Indian vegetarian menu is informed by Hinduism rather than Islam. Then again, perhaps he just likes parading his ignorance.

The veggie menu is extensive, far more so than what you'll find in any regular Indian restaurant. And since they are catering for a primarily Indian demographic, who - believe it or not - take their vegetarianism every bit as seriously as us westerners (if not more so), they prepare the vegetarian dishes in a separate kitchen area from the meat so there is no cross-contamination of pans, utensils etc. How many other Indian restaurants with a mainly Irish target market do you imagine go to those lengths, Nature Boy?

Why do certain people seem to feel this need to diss Medina? Anybody who's ever been to India will know that this place is the genuine article, unlike just about every other Indian restaurant in Ireland, which is in fact serving up a westernised notion of Indian food. People, there's no such thing as chicken tikka masala in India... But there is more vegetarian food eaten there than anywhere else on the planet. If you want to take a pop at foreigners not understanding the needs of vegetarians, I would suggest that Madina is a poor target for your misinformed bigotry.

Rockbeer, you've taken me up the wrong way. I'll be the first to admit I know very little about Indian cultures, so I was simply asking if people there who are vegetarian consider seafood as ok to eat. That's all.
    rockbeer wrote: »
    Only somebody who wanted to deliberately cloud the issue could make the mistake Nature Boy does. Despite his jibe at "muslim vegetarians" I'm sure he must know that the majority of Indian vegetarians are in fact Hindus rather than Muslims, and that this amazing south-Indian vegetarian menu is informed by Hinduism rather than Islam. Then again, perhaps he just likes parading his ignorance.

As an athiest I'll admit I don't take much interest in religion and I don't know the demographics associated with the different types. Appologies to rockbeer and anyone else for the term "muslim vegetarians"
    How many other Indian restaurants with a mainly Irish target market do you imagine go to those lengths, Nature Boy?

I don't know of any others. As I said, I was simply asking if it's considered ok to eat seafood, just out of interest
    Why do certain people seem to feel this need to diss Medina?
    I would suggest that Madina is a poor target for your misinformed bigotry.

I think you're flying off the handle here. I certainly hope I didn't come across as a biggot or ignorant.

Sorry if I took you up wrong Nature Boy, your post struck me as sarcastic and dismissive but I accept you didn't intend it that way.

I'm an atheist too - lifelong and 'confirmed', so to speak - but I still find it worthwhile to know the basic principles of the world's major religions.

You didn't eat there Nature Boy?

I am a bit shocked that you anyone would not know that Hinduism is so integral to Indian culture.
    Your not one of the people who doesn't watch the simpsons are you?

Moonbaby wrote: »
    You didn't eat there Nature Boy?

No not yet
    Moonbaby wrote: »
    I am a bit shocked that you anyone would not know that Hinduism is so integral to Indian culture.

I hadn't argued that it wasn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

I'm not sure why, but I got the idea that Madina was Pakistani run instead of Indian. I know most of the dishes are Indian, but would be interesting to see which ones are also Pakistani.

I think there was some statistic that many Indian restaurants are in fact run by Pakistanis. Not that it makes any difference if the food is Indian style.

btw didn't think "Muslim vegetarians" was a jibe - there are Muslims who are vegetarian, but of course it's not usually part of their religious beliefs in the way it is with many Hindus. Although I guess it depends on the particular interpretation of the Quar'an. Interesting page here.

The Sufi-sm branch of Islam (Whirling dervishes, Rumi..) is often vegetarian.

Madina may be run by Pakistanis, I'm not sure, but the vegetarian menu is full of Keralan and south Indian specialities - like the authentic Masala Dosas, Idlis (which are apparently on the way), Uttapam etc. All dishes that you wouldn't generally find in the north of India, but which are fudamental to southern India's predominantly Hindu vegetarian cuisine. So whatever the background of the owners, I'm fairly sure they must have south Indian chefs invoved in designing the menu, and judging by the authenticity of the dishes, preparing the food too.

In this part of the world the term "Indian restaurant" is generally used to cover anything from the sub-continent - Pakistani, Indian or Bangladeshi. Most of us probably aren't informed or interested enough to really tell the difference, but the classic names for dishes you find on Indian menus here (Jalfrezi, Vindaloo, tikka and all that) aren't much used in India or its neighbours. They're really a westernised (particularly English) version of Indian food. So it's true to say that most Indian restaurants aren't in fact selling "Indian" or "Pakistani" food at all.

That's what makes Madina stand out - the fact that it's food is idenifiably, authentically Indian - and of course this is reflected in the fact that its target market is mostly sub-continentals, who understand the nuances of the menu in a way that most of us westerners don't.

I thought when Nature Boy made his "muslim vegetarian" remark he was just lumping all Indians together in the "Muslim" box and showing no regard for the religious and cultural differences which so profoundly influence the dietary habits and cuisine of that vast country. It may not have been a jibe, but it was careless - but he and I have both apologised so no problem, eh :)

It is owned my Pakistani 's , Indian and Pakistani food is very similar in some ways that most Pakistani restaurant owners call them Indian restaurants.

Went to Medina yesterday (despite being a bigot!). Thought it was nice. The one thing that p1ssed me off was that they brought the popodoms, and starters together. Then the mains about 2 minutes later. So we were basically sitting there with a table full of food (actually, the table was too small for all the food!). Just felt they were trying to get us out of there as quick as possible.

• Advertisement

Nature Boy wrote: »
    (despite being a bigot!)

I fairness I think your worse than a bigot.....a simpsons snob ;)

I love the Simpsons!

I thought the place was quite reasonably priced too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 headlessloon

jump on a dart, get out at sandycove & glasthule station, turn right and walk till u see rasam on the right hand side. amazing indian restaurant - maybe not typical stuff - their veggie tahli is great and the spinach, raisin and pistachio dumplings are amazing! not a huge range of veggie stuff compared to meat and fish but they do have some great tasty stuff. also, i hear chakra by jaipur out in greystones has some great tasty veggie options including one with puffed lotus seeds that are worth the trek.

Nature Boy wrote: »
    Went to Medina yesterday (despite being a bigot!). Thought it was nice. The one thing that p1ssed me off was that they brought the popodoms, and starters together. Then the mains about 2 minutes later. So we were basically sitting there with a table full of food (actually, the table was too small for all the food!). Just felt they were trying to get us out of there as quick as possible.

You must be a slow eater, We went and it wasn't that fast.

drdre wrote: »
    You must be a slow eater, We went and it wasn't that fast.

No, really, we had barely even started eating our starters before the mains came. There must have been a mix up or something.

Also, it would have been nice to have the option of having some alcohol, I mean if they can serve meat, then why not alcohol?

Nature Boy,
    If you actually read the Madina menu rather than jumping to conclusions about it you'll notice there are no starters on it. If you want something served as a starter you'll have to tell them, or do you expect them to be psychic as well as geared precisely to your personal requirements in every other way?

As for this alcohol business, once again I'm aghast at your ethnocentricism. You appear completely unable to take this place for what it is rather than what you want it to be. You're a vegetarian, but your experiences seem to have taught you nothing about being on the outside, culturally speaking. Did it even occur to you that Madina might have reasons for not serving alcohol that parallel your reasons for not eating meat?

Then again, maybe they just don't have a license.

Nature boy, clearly you are a downright dispicable person with no regard for humanity. What has happened in your life to be filled with such hate?:rolleyes:

Incidentally, same thing happened to - me ordered a load of food - what would usually be starters and mains etc. All arrived at once and the mains were cold by the time I got to them. Nice though. Obviously I am struck with the same bigoted affliction as you and will be joining you in hell...

So it's alright to revel in ignorance and disdain for other cultures?
    If this is the way forward, good luck Ireland - you're going to need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

:rolleyes:

It's an easy mistake to make. Let's not forget that these restaurants are operating in a country which does not usually have religious restrictions on alcohol being sold.

They are fully entitled to do this, but it's also completely reasonable to expect that they will have customers inquiring about drinks.

edit: Actually what am I saying.. Madina is advertised as an Indian restaurant, last time I checked most Indian restaurants served alcohol.

Apart from Govindas, but it's a lot more obvious why not in that case.
    (More people would know that Govindas is Hare Krishna run)

• Advertisement

So it's alright to revel in ignorance and disdain for other cultures?
    If this is the way forward, good luck Ireland - you're going to need it.

You need to lighten up and stop trying to turn this into another political correctness gone insane argument. This is about the best veggie restaurant in Dublin so a person is well entitled to point out the fact that they got all their dishes together and weren't allowed to have a drink. Get over it. I think there's some humanities/religious/personal issues board that might suit you better...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement