Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

would scratches on the front bumper devalue a 07 car more than the cost of the bumper

Options
  • 12-12-2007 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭

scratches on the front bumper, under the right headlight, more towards the driving lights (small pillar device that i didnt see :( ) , i bought stuff in halfords to clean it up and give it a minor repair, but will the car devalue by more than the cost of a new bumber when it comes selling time, its a commercial vehicle if that helps

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

scratches on the front bumper, under the right headlight, more towards the driving lights (small pillar device that i didnt see :( ) , i bought stuff in halfords to clean it up and give it a minor repair, but will the car devalue by more than the cost of a new bumber when it comes selling time, its a commercial vehicle if that helps

No i dont think it will devalue the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

the answer is no........

when you go to trade the vehicle,make sure you know the cost of a professional fix to the bumper. Then, if you are getting hit hard by the dealer on the trade in price of your vehicle, ask him/her for a breakdown of their trade in price valuation. If they bring up the screat and say " ohhhh, its gonna cost us 550E to fix that, you can say for instance you had a quote for 300e for example.
    just a tip for you.........and you could be lucky and they never figure it into your valuation.

otherwise, if you sell it privately as buyer might accept it as its a secondhand vehicle. There one born every day, and you could be lucky enought to get on viewing your vehicle.

dont stress about it! lifes too short.

NIF.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

cheers, i already got a quote of 280 for it, the reinforcment is fine, its just the outer plastic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

have you got any pics of it? it might be possible to cover it up with a nice buff and some compound, then get coloured T-Cut to match it in if the scratch is standing out., if your trading it into a dealer go on a day when its raining and they prob wont notice it and leave the car dirty.., :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Be very careful of the 'stuff' you bought to tidy the bumper up - might end up worse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

vtec wrote: »
    have you got any pics of it? it might be possible to cover it up with a nice buff and some compound, then get coloured T-Cut to match it in if the scratch is standing out., if your trading it into a dealer go on a day when its raining and they prob wont notice it and leave the car dirty.., :D

i like that plan, i like that a lot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Auto Consulting

It is difficult to answer that without knowing the extent of the scratches. If the scratches are so bad that the dealer would not be able to sell it from their forecourt in such a condition, then yes you will be penalised by the cost of a new bumper.

If it is merely a repair job, then a couple of hundred Euro for a re-spray will be the extent of it. There is no reason not to point out the damage to the dealer, if they're worth their salt they'll notice it anyway. Garages take into account the probability of having to pay for some unnoticed damage in their initial appraisal, hence your trade-in allowance shouldn't be affected in this case.

Advertisement