Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crack on external wall.

Options
  • 12-12-2007 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

There is a crack running along the side wall(external) of my house. Does anyone now of any reasons why this may have happened (weathering/wall bending perhaps)

Also does anyone know of any remedies to this problem??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

It could be poor foundations and a small amount of subsidence as a result. It's possible to get a gauge fitted over the crack to see if the crack is widening (over say 6 months). If it is you may need to get a job done.

I've a few cracks on my outside walls and to be honest I've ignored them. They don't seem to be any worse over the last 10 years. By the way I don't recommend patching them up because if you're selling the house and a surveyor sees the patching up, he'll think you're hiding something serious

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

I had a survey done on a house I was buying and when I went to the architects house to receive the report he mentioned the hairline cracks in the plaster which occured in some places on the outside walls. Then he showed me similar cracks in his own house - which he had built himself. He wasnt too worried. His house has since fallen down though and he is living in the rubble with a little shelter he built where the hall used to be!

Advertisement