Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a hypothetical question

Options
  • 12-12-2007 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭

if you had say €5,000 to blow on bicycles n such, what would you buy?

less time on the bike these short days inevitably means more time for looking at them on the internet, so with all those shops out there what would be your perfect bike?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

nothing better than a Giant TCR Advanced or a Look 595\585.......both sweet machines, get either with top groupset and wheels and you have a sweet lord of a machine!!!!!

but TBH its down to personally choice and style of riding also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭mtbdude74

Built my dream bike last year, for circa 5k. Only problem is that it's too precious to ride. Only been out about 5 rides in all...

Litespeed Ghisallo with full Campag Record carbon groupset. Cinelli RAM handlebars/stem, Ksyrium ES wheelset.

To be honest, I've gotten more value out of my €600 Bianchi pista!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Probably some Italian beauty. Bianchi or De Rosa.
    Every now and then I browse here: http://www.racycles.com/
    Two problems though, I have neither the skill nor the money to justify any of the machines there.
    I like the Cervelo ones too, I think they are American?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Have no idea why, but am craving a Ridley at present.

By the way, I fantasise about someday owning a whole stable of bikes and being able to wake up in the morning and choosing my ride for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Probably this:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=33976

Don't think I would ever spend that much on a road bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

niceonetom wrote: »
    if you had say €5,000 to blow on bicycles n such, what would you buy?

Only five grand? I like the new Pinarello Prince. But I wouldn't have much left for after buying the frame alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Five grand? Thats only the cranks and the front wheel............

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=08Pitch
    08pitchprouklob9.jpg

One of those and some accesories, no need wasting money on more bike than I need :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

If you said €10000 on a bike then you're into the pro spec realms and your choice limitless. I drool over Colnago's, the new Trek Madone, Scott, Lightspeed Vortex Ti, SuperSix, Orca, S-Works, Wilier, Bianchi. The list goes on...

mtbdude74, those Cinelli Ram bars are lovely and about €500 alone!! :eek:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

tunney wrote: »
    Five grand? Thats only the cranks and the front wheel............

Planning on buying Lightweights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Yip Lightweight front wheel €1400 DA Pro SRMs. €3600 €

€5k just there...........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I'ld get a Specialized Demo 7. Which is bout €3000 so i'ld have €2k to spare on probably upgrades or something like that.

08Demo7_UK_l.jpg

DH/freeride is where its at!!!

Here's it in action: http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ajSF8eG0xb0
    Don't you just love that!

tunney wrote: »
    Yip Lightweight front wheel €1400 DA Pro SRMs. €3600.

I suppose you could rig up some class of a unicycle with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Ryder wrote: »
    By the way, I fantasise about someday owning a whole stable of bikes and being able to wake up in the morning and choosing my ride for the day

My thoughts precisely, but I don't have the space. But assuming I did, and €5k is the budget i'd go for a Specialized Langster 08 New York City edition, a Specialized Tricross single, a traditional dutch bike, a Bianchi Pista, and a Bianchi D2 Crono/Tri Alu Ultegra. The last one would really be just to show people, in a sort of a Nigel Tuffnell kind of way ('don't touch it, don't even look at it')

I'm not even sure my budget covers all of those...but you said hypothetical...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

unionman wrote: »

Ooooh I like this one. Much nicer than the Union Jack one (atrocious)

I'm hopefully going to America Junior for a while next year, gonna try and pick up some cheap fixies over there and bring them back with me (yes I too share that dream scenario of having a rake of bikes to choose from every day)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I would order two made-to-measure steel frames with hand-cut but understated lugs, build one up using Ultegra or Chorus into an Audax-style bike and the other to a fixie for town and commuting.

I have phase 1 (the Audax) in process right now, ETA February. Can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

yes, one bike is, of course, nowhere near enough. i have two, and consider myself hugely deprived because of it. a stable full is the only way to go. there has to be the one, the bike of bikes, the one that you give a name and would ride first if it weren't waaaaay to precious to be exposed to direct sunlight. then there has to be the bike that you actually do end up riding most of the time -> this is the most important one. for this i'm thinking of a ti framed fixed gear with campy record track cranks and hubs. all bare metal with no decals or paint. very nice.

(btw flickerx and unionman, i'm disappointed. i give the gift of 5,000 genuine hypothetical eurodollars and you come back with langsters? yellow langsters? w? t? f? try harder!)

now if my number 2 is going to be ti, then my numero uno, cappo di tutti cappi bike of bikes would have to be something really special, otherwise it might get ridden. what's better than ti or carbon? is there someone out there making bikes out of a metal so light and strong and rare that i've never heard of it? if there is then that's what i want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

(btw flickerx and unionman, i'm disappointed. i give the gift of 5,000 genuine hypothetical eurodollars and you come back with langsters? yellow langsters? w? t? f? try harder!)

Ah here jaysus yeah I know, I was only just piping up saying that I liked the paint job on the Langster. I know its only an entry level fixie (sure dont I have one myself). Kinda busy in work today (obviously not compared to some wasters here ;) ) so I'll have an online gawk around for something a bit more high end when I have the chance...

Ah c'mon now, don't diss the Langster :((currently my only bike, the lovely rust coloured 07 model) - my velo love only found true expression by owning one:D. In fairness, I did pick four other bikes too. Try as I might, I'd be wasting my time spending your very generous hypothetical eurodollars on just one bike, I have neither the fitness or inclination to buy at that level...which roughly translates as...the missus'd kill me.:o

flickerx wrote: »
    Ooooh I like this one. Much nicer than the Union Jack one (atrocious)

Oh yeah, the London is appaling, Cycleways actually have one of these in stock, though I can't imagine it'll sell, especially not in Dublin. I like the Chicago too, which if you look closely is actually called the 'Gangster'. The Boston one is a bit dodgy, same painted chain as the London. The Seattle is OK, a bit quirky, it has odd looking mudguards, in deference to the rain in that city.

What should a 'Dublin' look like?

OK, so I'm not off thread, I could buy one of these, but I can assure you I'd look ridiculous on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

unionman wrote: »
    What should a 'Dublin' look like?

missing or bent wheels and no saddle ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

now if my number 2 is going to be ti, then my numero uno, cappo di tutti cappi bike of bikes would have to be something really special, otherwise it might get ridden. what's better than ti or carbon? is there someone out there making bikes out of a metal so light and strong and rare that i've never heard of it? if there is then that's what i want.

There's not much more you can do by way of materials, but you can go to town on craftsmanship and detail. For some real too-nice-to-ride bikes, check these out:

http://www.vanillabicycles.com/frames/track/2/index.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

mtbdude74 wrote: »
    Built my dream bike last year, for circa 5k. Only problem is that it's too precious to ride. Only been out about 5 rides in all...

Litespeed Ghisallo with full Campag Record carbon groupset. Cinelli RAM handlebars/stem, Ksyrium ES wheelset.

To be honest, I've gotten more value out of my €600 Bianchi pista!!!

Litespeed Ghisallo kitted out like that would be my 5k dream bike.

or perhaps this, De Rosa Cinquanta (one was up on ebay last week, no bidders at £2000. Cost £5000 when new!)

img_1579818_961666_1?

or maybe this:
    Colnago_Ferrari_F3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

^I think car manufacturers should just stick to cars and not stretch themselves into making bicycles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I'd go for some lugged high-grade steel beauty with a full Campy gruppo. Then an Eddy Merckx track bike.

Morgan wrote: »
    There's not much more you can do by way of materials, but you can go to town on craftsmanship and detail. For some real too-nice-to-ride bikes, check these out:

http://www.vanillabicycles.com/frames/track/2/index.shtml

Thanks for this link Morgan, they are works of art.:D

Advertisement