Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - Comprehensive Vs Third Party + Theft etc

Options
  • 12-12-2007 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hey.

I'll have to renew my insurance early in the new year and i'm currently on Comprehensive insurance with Quinn Direct (first year insured on a car). 23 and I'm on a provisional so as u can imagine insurance ain't cheap. Just wondering is there much of an advantage in getting comprehensive insurance as opposed third party, fire and theft? What are the pro's and con's.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

The difference is how much you trust your own driving and what the value of your car is. There is usually very little difference in the price of these policies anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

homer911 wrote: »
    The difference is how much you trust your own driving and what the value of your car is. There is usually very little difference in the price of these policies anyway

I'm pretty confident in my driving thank you very much.

There is about 200-300 euro difference for me so thats big enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Really depends on the value of the car you are insuring.

I used to drive an old banger of a car so just got TPF&T. My thinking was, that if I crashed and did small damage, I wouldn't be claiming for the cost of repairing my car, I would either fix it myself or buy a new car. If I claimed on my policy, my premium would sky rocket.

I've since bought a more expensive car and have it insured Fully Comp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

there are may extras with the fully comp option, breakdown, windscreen damage etc that might be worth paying the extra.
    saving 200-300 :eek: I don't even pay that,
    277 fully comp for me and hubby for the year always shop around my original quote from my then insurer was 570 for the same policy.

try 123.ie for a good idea of what you can get fully comp and tpf&t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I think the best idea is to shop around with as many insurers as possible. Try all the broker websites and ring Quinn, Axa, Allianz, Hibernian, Eagle Star and FBD. For the sake of spending an hour phoning and getting online quotes there are massive potential savings. Also in a market of falling premiums (which the irish market has been for the last 4-5 years) some companies relax their underwriting criteria in an effort to increase their share of market premiums. For example Company may once have taken a 'barge poll' approach to younger drivers whereas now they will quote quite competitively.

I would only advise comp if the car is of relatively high value or if there isn't much difference in premium.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Also you can take a higher voluntary excess which will bring down the premium. I did that and went fully comp this year cheaper than TPFT would have been. Incidentally TPFT worked out MILES more expensive because the excess was lower and they wouldn't let me up it.

If you're confident in your own driving and have a relatively decent car try comprehensive with a bigger excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

I'd imagine you have a high excess with Quinn Direct so if you got fully comp you would be paying €300 extra claim or no claim.

If you have a claim where you damage your own car you will have to pay the excess. If your excess is €350 or more I probably wouldn't bother getting fully comp as you will effectively be paying €650 or more extra and the chances are that you would get your car fixed for similar price if it wasn't a bad accident.

As said above value of the car matters too. I'd imagine that you wouldn't have an expensive car as you said the price of insurance is a big issue so I'd stick with TPFT.

Advertisement