Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H-2B question

Options
  • 12-12-2007 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi,

I was wondering, has anyone here gone to the US on a H-2B visa before? Is it difficult to get it approved, find an employer etc.?

Also, I've seen some sites that, for a fee, find you a job and help with the application process. Is it a good idea to use such a site?

Thanks,
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

I think you are talking about the H1B the H2B is for mexican and canadian nationals I think? Maybe I am wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Just back from a failed attempt at the States. Got work no problem, then came the visa. You cannot apply for a H1B visa until April 08. So we applied for a J1 visa. This, contrary to popular belief is not just students in the summer. It can be used to get you training for 18 months in the States.

So we went to a 3rd party sponsor (different to the host company). They rejected our application because the positions didnt "appear" to be training positions, ie we were actually full time employees.

So, right now your best option is to travel to the States, do your interviews, get a job offer, return home to get visa...but use an immigration lawyer. Had our paperwork being completed by a pro, we would be working there now.

H1B is certainly more expensive and is for professionals. AFAIK there is a cap on the amount handed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gary01

Just back from a failed attempt at the States. Got work no problem, then came the visa. You cannot apply for a H1B visa until April 08. So we applied for a J1 visa. This, contrary to popular belief is not just students in the summer. It can be used to get you training for 18 months in the States.

So we went to a 3rd party sponsor (different to the host company). They rejected our application because the positions didnt "appear" to be training positions, ie we were actually full time employees.

So, right now your best option is to travel to the States, do your interviews, get a job offer, return home to get visa...but use an immigration lawyer. Had our paperwork being completed by a pro, we would be working there now.

H1B is certainly more expensive and is for professionals. AFAIK there is a cap on the amount handed out.

Thanks for the info. I guess i'll try the J1 next then. Should I look for training position type jobs only? If so, would you have any advice as to where to look for such a job? Also, can I apply for a J1 having finished college 3 years ago? USIT seems to only allow college students apply.

About the immigration lawyer, should I use a US or Irish one?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

gary01 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I guess i'll try the J1 next then. Should I look for training position type jobs only? If so, would you have any advice as to where to look for such a job? Also, can I apply for a J1 having finished college 3 years ago? USIT seems to only allow college students apply.

About the immigration lawyer, should I use a US or Irish one?

Thanks again.

I have a position as an engineering intern under J1. The training programme does not allow you to work just train. If you do apply and intend to work my advice would be to do the internship apposed to the training. intrax are a good company to deal with. Also try the Irish immigration board in boston, they do some legal work probono. Might be interesting..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Does anyone know if there are many employers willing to provide sponsorship? It's always been a dream of mine to live in san francisco but there don't seem to be many opportunities for scientists...

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
Advertisement