Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Last 16 which teams to play/avoid

• 12-12-2007 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Group Winners

FC Porto
    Chelsea
    Real Madrid
    AC Milan
    Barcelona
    Man Utd
    Inter Milan
    Sevilla

Runners up

Liverpool
    Schalke 04
    Olympi/\kos
    Celtic
    Lyon
    Roma
    Fenerbahce
    Arsenal

Oh teams from same country can't draw each other in first knock out round or another team from the same qualifying pool.

Discuss! :)

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Arse v Porto please... everyone else is extremely tough, I'm sure Pool will be hoping for Sevilla too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

As a utd fan our options are:

Schalke 04
    Olympi/\kos
    Celtic
    Lyon
    Fenerbahce

Lyon are the team to avoid for me. Other than that i don't mind playing any of the rest apart from Celtic but thats just to avoid a clash of interests. My choice would be:
    1. O'kos
    2. Fenerbahce
    3. Schalke
    4. Celtic
    5. Lyon

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

For Celtic, there's no easy pairing, however my personal choice would be Porto to try to avenge our UEFA Cup defeat. :D

Wouldn't mind seeing Celtic play Madrid or Inter also, would like to avoid Barca, Seville and Chelsea though.

Utd would be a good game just because it's Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Chelsea
    Olympiakos
    Celtic
    Lyon
    Roma
    Fenerbahce

Man Utd
    Schalke 04
    Olympiakos
    Celtic
    Lyon
    Fenerbahce

Liverpool
    Real Madrid
    AC Milan
    Barcelona
    Inter Milan
    Sevilla

Arsenal
    FC Porto
    Real Madrid
    AC Milan
    Barcelona
    Inter Milan

Celtic
    FC Porto
    Man United
    Chelsea
    Real Madrid
    Barcelona
    Inter Milan
    Sevilla

Are those right? You can really see the difference between finishing 1st and 2nd. Wenger might regret playing a second string in Seville.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpools possible opponents

Real Madrid
    AC Milan
    Barcelona
    Inter Milan
    Sevilla

Sevilla are the obvious team but Liverpool will draw Real Madrid, Barca or AC Milan.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

, I'm sure Pool will be hoping for Sevilla too

why in the name of jaysus would they want a side that hasnt lost over 2 legs in 3 years and they played a lot of games.

Sevilla Celtic please :D

you also cant play a team from your group so it narrows down the options.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Celtic cant play Milan - same group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Just quickly in order of preference for Celtic:

1. Real Madrid
    2. Sevilla
    3. FC Porto
    4. Inter Milan
    5. Chelsea
    6. Man Utd
    7. Barcelona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I'm sure Pool will be hoping for Sevilla too
    I won't be. I think Sevilla would cause us big problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭enda_4

For Utd I'd prob like to see Olympi a kos, but I'd nearly bet now we'll get Celtic

Shamrok wrote: »
    I won't be. I think Sevilla would cause us big problems.

Inter/Milan/Real/Barca won't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,345 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I would be happy with Porto or Real Madrid

I didn't say they wouldn't but for me Sevilla would not be first choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

With exception of Inter would expect pool to beat any of the others, crouch style football would beat them.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,345 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

21st I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

As a United fan, the only team I'd want to avoid is Lyon. That said, I don't think there's too much to fear in the runners-up pot.

Friday week cos Uefa Cup matches next week.

Porto aside I'd take Real, or Barca if Henry is guaranteed to play and Arsenal are guaranteed to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ah **** it, we're gonna have to play the best sides at some stage, might as well get them out the way at the start :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

why in the name of jaysus would they want a side that hasnt lost over 2 legs in 3 years and they played a lot of games.

Their form has been shocking in La Liga this season. They've just lost their talismanic manager. They won't be an easy ride, but I would definitely say they're a better draw than Real, Barca or the two Milan sides.

I'd still prefer to draw Real though. It'd be fantastic. They're one of the only top European sides we haven't played recently, Rafa would know them inside out, and knocking them out would send a message to the rest of the teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Damn no two teams per country rule, might be in Australia at the height of the CL and wanted to see a Man U v Liverpool game beforehand. Last year against Milan I half wanted to see Man U win, just so it could set up what would have been the grudge match of the century.

Would like Utd v Celtic, but i doubt Celtic could knock them out.

When are the next matches starting?

Would like Utd v Celtic, but i doubt Celtic could knock them out.

Celtic did beat them at Old Trafford not too long ago, didn't they? It's cup football, anything can happen! Looking at the pots, there aren't going to be easy draws for any team in the competiton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

lol, in a game where United really didn't give a **** about. Celtic would be a great draw for United, i'd be incredibly happy to get them. Lyon are the team to be wary about :)

Undoubtedly Lyon would be the tougher draw, but Celtic would be no cake walk. Utd would obviously be favourites for both though.

It's not easy to play Celtic at home, and if they get a result there, it's not outside the realms of possibility to see them hang on for a result in the second leg! The short trip south may also help their shocking away form, but who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I would like to get ólympiakos. Eitherway I'd fancy Man Utd to beat any of the teams they face this year in the CL.

PHB wrote: »
    lol, in a game where United really didn't give a **** about.
    My arse they didn't. :D

Anyway, with the 2nd leg away from home I wouldn't fancy Celtic to beat any of those teams tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

I hope Celtic get Porto they'd have a decent chance i feel.
    Anything else and we'd be huge underdogs i'd imagine.
    Celtic V Man Utd would be exciting stuff!
    Was in Parkhead when Naka scored the winning goal last year.
    Never seen anything like the celebrations. More of that please! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I wouldn't mind any team in our pot to play us, not even Lyon because in '99 we had to play all hard teams. Bayern Munich & Barcalona were both in our group, then in the quarter finals we had to get past Inter Milan, then in the semis Juve were in the way and in the second leg with 2 goals down in 20 minutes we came back to beat them 3-2 inspired by Keano. And Bayern in final without Keane or Scholes, and we all know what happened... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, I do think that hard games make you more likely to win. But at the same time, easy draws have the same effect I think too. You just don't want inbetween, and I think Lyon are inbetween :)

Celtic I'd love. I think their whole really impressive home form is an utter myth, and I think United would utterly destroy them up there. I'd really like to draw them just for that, it'd be hilarious. Also you're ensured of qualification since they are absolutely shocking away from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Porto aside I'd take Real, or Barca if Henry is guaranteed to play and Arsenal are guaranteed to win.
    It'd be some match... remember Juve and Vieira 2 years ago? :)

I think Arsenal would obviously like Porto most but the draw isn't everything - two years ago, we had to beat Real and Juve just to reach the semis but last year we lost to PSV in the last 16.

If Arsenal are to win it, I'd fully expect to have to beat three of the "top sides" anyway so I'm not ALL that pushed about when it happens. I think Real, for example, would be very beatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

you lot must be delighted Rangers went out last night.........:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

dont think liverpool have to fear anyone tbh, we've lost 1 2leg match under rafa and 1 final in 3 years, not a bad record

sevilla are unbeaten in the uefa cup, swell.

would be delighted to get any of the spanish teams.

• Advertisement

Why?

sarcasm chopper..sarcasm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

United and Chelsea look like they'll get an easy enough tie. Liverpool and Arsenal should be kicking themselves for not topping two relatively week groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

KdjaCL wrote: »
    With exception of Inter would expect pool to beat any of the others, crouch style football would beat them.

kdjac

I'd take Inter, they're always underachievers in europe. All other teams have much more european experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

not too bothered who Utd get.. all easy enough home ties and you'd expect Utd to get something away from home against them all.

as for Celtic, probably Porto are most do-able. Celtic need a 1-0+ win at home though to stand any chance of going through. They cannot go away from home and win, and if all they need is a draw, well that won't happen as they can't hack the pressure.

keeping a clean sheet at home is vital for Celtic.

• Advertisement

According to some very smart Celtic fan:
    Heres what I calculated based on the rules - and - assuming that all 'legal combinations' are equally likely.

I found 6176 possible draw combinations

Our chances of drawing each team worked out to be:

Man Utd 19.7%
    Chelsea 18.8%
    Inter Milan 13.4%
    Porto 12.5%
    Sevilla 12.5%
    Real Madrid 11.5%
    Barcelona 11.5%
    AC Milan 0%

So that adds up to: English team: 38.5%, Spanish team: 35.5%, Neither: 26%

This seems at first glance to be skewed, but the reason the English teams are top is because they can't be drawn against Liverpool or Arsenal. And Inter are next because they can't be drawn against Roma.

The reason Man Utd are slightly more likely to be drawn against us, than Chelsea is to do with a minor 'domino effect' of an Italian team being second in Man Utd's group.

Obviously there isn't much between them but last season it was worked out that Celtic had the biggest chance of drawing Valencia or Milan. Coincidence or not they drew Valencia in the trial draw and Milan in the real draw. :)

I find it very interesting that even though there's 3 Spanish teams and 2 English teams in Pot 1, there's still more chance of Celtic drawing an English team.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    According to some very smart Celtic fan:

LIAR!! :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Yeh, I do think that hard games make you more likely to win. But at the same time, easy draws have the same effect I think too. You just don't want inbetween, and I think Lyon are inbetween :)

Celtic I'd love. I think their whole really impressive home form is an utter myth, and I think United would utterly destroy them up there. I'd really like to draw them just for that, it'd be hilarious. Also you're ensured of qualification since they are absolutely shocking away from home.

Destroy them up there? :D Like last season?

Shocking away from home indeed, still scored two in OT last season. What was that quote... "Ferdinand is a clown. He was a liability for the first goal and he is always a liability. It was Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink against Rio Ferdinand of Barclays Bank.". I don't like Dunphy much but that made me laugh.

Man Ure... bring 'em on! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

It's the business end now and thinking what look like weak teams are favourable doesn't always work out that way.As was posted above anyway , to win it you will have to beat the cream of Europes finest so looking for a supposed weak team in the last 16 is irrelevent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

As a Liverpool fan, my first choice would be Real as I don't remember playing them in CL yet.

As for Lyon and they way everyone is putting them on a pedastel. I do not think they are as good as everyone thinks. If you remember last year, they were top of their group and everyone did not want to get them in the knockout stage. Then they came up against Roma who beat them who eventually got humiliated by Man U. They have just come 2nd in their group to Barca with just Rangers & Stuttgart below them so its not like they weren't expected to qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

As a Chelsea fan would love to get Celtic, simply for the sense of occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

With opinions like this floating around, seeing Celtic knock Man U out early on would make my entire year.

And if they do, the above quote by PHB is going in my sig for at least a year :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Celtic are by far the worst team left in the thing. Together with *******kos will be the 2 teams everyone wants.

As much as i want to see celtic get humped rotten in the next round.....under rate them and you could be in for a nasty surprise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Id love for Liverpool to get Real, Inter or Sevilla. Real because we've never got a crack at them in the CL, Inter because they always blow up in the business end of the competition and Sevilla because i dont think they are the force they were for the last 2 years.

Dont think any teams wants to get us though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement