Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oily acne skin

• 12-12-2007 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

I've had acne since I was 12, I'm 21 now. It's no better or worse than it was back then and there's no sign of it ever going away. All I know is that if I didn't shower daily and use certain creams it'd be an awful lot worse. As it is I'd have a few "live" spots on my face at the one time. It's not really the look that I'm bothered with, more the feel. I don't mind a dead spot on my face but it's the ones that are growing that really annoy me. They're sore and uncomfortable.

I shower every morning but after a few hours my face is really oily/greasy. It would take about 10 minutes of constant washing in hot water to get all the oil off without soap or shower gel. I can't stand the face washes that leave the oil on your face. I just don't feel clean and there's more chance of spots breaking out.

I've been to the doctor a couple of times in recent years. I know the doctor well and he pretty much jokes about it because my acne is so mild. I'm certain it wouldn't be so mild if I didn't take such good care of it but I'd rather not have to worry about it at all. Anyway, the creams he gave me both times didn't work. After years of trial and error I found this great cream called panoxyl. I can actually feel it working straight away. It kills the spots usually overnight. After a few months with that your face gets immune and I switch over to a similar cream. It doesn't clear my face but it's definitely the best product I've used.

To be honest I'd love something that would really transform my skin. When I rub my tongue inside my mouth, in the area around the lips (if you know what I mean - pressing the tongue outwards with the mouth closed), I can feel loads and loads of lumps. When I have a spot around that area that specific "lump" where the spot came from will be bigger. Sometimes a spot will actually open up inside my mouth, the wrong side of the skin. I've told a few people about this but they say it's cold sores but I'm certain it's not. I know the difference.

I'm rambling on here but basically I'm hoping someone really knows their stuff and can pick up on something that'll help me. Anyway, I've tried anything and everything and I don't think any product will completely clear my skin. My sister still has acne at 28 and I really don't want to be like that. I can't tell my doctor all of what I've just said because he really doesn't take me seriously. I can only imagine him laughing if I told him my spots sometimes break out inside my mouth. :)

I meant to post this up just to ask what would be the best wash to use night and day along with the cream I use. Soap works for a few days. In fact everything seems to work for the first few days until my skin becomes immune to it. Any other help would be great and sorry about the long boring post.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Having battled with spots myself for years, I would recommend the pill.
    It does take a few months to kick in, and it may not get rid of them 100%, but it's what's worked best for me.

I use Dianette which is the pill for acne, but your doctor will be able to prescribe one suitable for you.

Why this works better than creams/washes is it actually works from the inside, not the outside. It's something to do with hormones, I don't know enough to expand.
    There are also antibiotics you can take. These aren't like antibiotics for an infection. Tetracycline and Minocine are two. I found the pill worked better.

Half the girls I know are/were on medication for spots, so it's no big deal.

If you do try this, remember it doesn't fully take effect for a few months, so don't give up too early.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

OP are you male or female?? Im on oxytetracycline and as far as I can see its doing nothing. Your not alone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭idunnoutellme

Looks like OP is male - you never mention makeup :D and Im not sure if guys can go on the pill for acne.

Would you ever consider facials? I know its not considered the most masculine thing to do but its a bit silly cos they can really help at normalising your skin's sebum production and clearing up any old little scars left by acne.
    Also using a good moisturiser for oily skin can help during the day.
    I use one by Gatinue (under makeup :) ) but when you put it on itmakes the face non-oily and fairly dry which well dries up spots that are there during the day and at night I use a topical antibiotic. only started working now (2 months later) so when you say something is having no effect after 5 days - you need to give it more time!

The facial I get myself once in a while is AHA facial - it has fruit acids and works as a very light peel, very good for normalising the oily skin after a few sessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Hey,

Sorry to hear about your acne, I understand how frustrating it is! Do you get lumps on your face that alot of the time don't actually get a head on them? I get them and they kill!!

I've said this in every thread to do with acne but i swear by these products by Danné Montague - King... really it's amazing.

My skin was terrible about 2 weeks ago and was told I need to go on roaccutane. I got only 1 treatment monday 2 weeks ago, and haven't had a single new spot since!!

The products and treatments are expensive but so so worth it!! Check the website out..

http://www.dannemking.com/

If you want any more details PM me, i can find out where the nearest Danne salon is to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

wixfjord wrote: »
    OP are you male or female?? Im on oxytetracycline and as far as I can see its doing nothing. Your not alone!
    Male. I probably should have said. :)
    Do you get lumps on your face that alot of the time don't actually get a head on them? I get them and they kill!!
    Yeh most of the spots I get would be those. The spots I get are impossible to burst put it that way. :) They certainly are sore. I'll have a look at that link. Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to mention I also get quite a few big spots on my shoulders. When I get one on the bone it's a killer.

• Advertisement

Oooh they are sore!! I used to get them kind of under my collar bone but kind of on and they killed!!

Sounds like you've the same as me - cystic acne, it's a complete pain!! I hate it, my cheeks swell as does my chin and neck!!

Danne is the way to go!! Honestly!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

irish life wrote: »
    Male. I probably should have said. :)

Yeh most of the spots I get would be those. The spots I get are impossible to burst put it that way. :) They certainly are sore. I'll have a look at that link. Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to mention I also get quite a few big spots on my shoulders. When I get one on the bone it's a killer.

Ok, sorry, don't go near the pill! :)

That's cystic acne you've got. I only got those kinds a little bit, but they hurt like hell and look like a mountain on your face.

But I think drugs are the way to go, just say to your doc that you wanna go onto something, they'll give you something suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I found the most effective anti-acne remedy to be an antibiotic(for me, this was "Vibramicin", which IIRC is an antibiotic called Doxycycline) in combination with a cream containing Azelaic acid which I applied in the morning and at night.

Also, every morning in the shower, get a facecloth, soak it with very hot water(as hot as you can bear), and press it against your face for a few seconds. This helps accelerate the development of spots and makes them come to a head quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

Hi Irish life.
    you mentioned that you wash your skin a lot and with soap. Over washing of the skin makes it become dry and then the oil glands over produce oil to compensate, so washing less rather than more should help reduce the excess oil.

I'm not sure if this will stop the acne but could help a bit.

also a good thing to wash the face with instead of soap is natural honey, it's anti bacterial and feels really nice on the skin! leave it on like a face mask for a few minutes and then wash off with lukewarm water.

~L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Dermalogica have an antibac range designed for people with acne problems (it's dermalogically tested and guaranteed by the Dermatolists Institute or something similar). It's for both males and females and comes in neutral packaging. You can get it online (have a google). I think adonis grooming are one of the cheapest at the moment.

I feel your pain, hope it clears up for you eventually!*

*Pity you can't go on the pill, it really is a miracle for skin! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

dude LESS OF THE SCRUBBING. Its the worst thing in the world!!!!
    Been there done that and all.

My first problem was who to believe. Everyone said my diet was wrong, i should take this pill, that ointment. I didnt know who to believe, and to really try a method it takes ag ood 2 months before you can say for sure, what the results are. That was too long in my case...

So i can only tell you whats worked for me. Id advise you to heed it cas its worked for millions of others.

Get over to acne.org and do the regimen. That is - buy a cleanser (not clearasil), some BP (benzoyal peroxide) and use twice a day EXACTLY as per the tutorials here http://acne.org/regimen-instructions.html

AND Most importantly - DO NOT pick, scrape, push, pop, itch, touch a single spot on your "areas"
    I was a serial picker, it didnt matter what i did i was gonna get acne. Now im a serial nail biter, but i'll take that over acne any day.

Stay healthy, eat healthy, drink water. Join a gym. Eat higher protein diet. Dont touch grains. No abra, or taco fries. Live by the two mottos - "if i dont cook it, i dont eat it", and "if it comes in a packet i dont eat it"

good luck

I was a serial picker, it didnt matter what i did i was gonna get acne. Now im a serial nail biter, but i'll take that over acne any day.

me too!!!

Although i do like the odd little pick sometimes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

I used to get spots on my t zone, started using ketsugo and problem solved. Its stops your skin producing too much oil, doesnt burn your skin and as its clear you can put on and no one can see it. Its the only thing that has ever worked for me. Got my brother some for his skin as he has acne and now he swears by it to

Advertisement