Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to pick up a good AM signal

• 13-12-2007 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi all,
    Does anyone now how i can get decent reception for BBC 5 Live 909-693 on the LW frequency.

I have a standard bedside locker radio but the signal is atrocious. The signal keeps sweeping in and out with huge distortion. You can barely hear the conversations going on. I know it's possible to get a good signal as the AM in the car picks it up much better. So does anyone know a way to pick BBC 5 up.

will i have to get a digital radio. this product seems a popular one but it's very expensive... and how do in know it will work. The aerial looks very small.

Can anyone help please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

long wire or else Free To Air Satellite system/Dish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 scanman2007

If you've got satellite tv, tune it to BBC 5 Live, and get one of those itrip fm transmitters and hook it on to it. Voila! BBC 5 Live in FM quality!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

This Sony Radio only Walkman has very good AM reception.

Cost about €60

I can get 5 Live loud and clear on it.

After dark of course is best for BBC 5

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 30 manalishi

scanman2007;
    "get one of those itrip fm transmitters and hook it on to it"
    this looks like my best option. Although, i'm wondering how this works. do i connect the itrip to the earphone out slot on the TV and sweet bbc 5 will magically come straight out of the my radio?

i'm a little suspicious...

Crowded house;
    BBC 5 is after dark is excellent. this is primarily why i want to get it. i love my footy and that but i'll usually watch it onda telly or down the local. the comment, analysis and current affairs programming is far superior to the irish stations in the late evening into the night... (if you can hear between the sweeping distortion.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 scanman2007

Plugging the fm transmitter into the headphone socket would work, but requires that the TV be powered on.

This is a better idea:
    http://www.astarsolutions.co.uk/products/?pc=1123

You plug the 2 phono plugs into the back of the digibox and plug the transmitter into the socket on the other end. You'd need to go to the "Sound Settings" menu and adjust the audio level to avoid distortion.

Alternatively, you could try to get a Sky Gnome. This would let you change radio channel if you wanted. Have a look on ebay for one, if you're interested.

• Advertisement
Advertisement