Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ireland or UK

Options
  • 13-12-2007 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

In a funny situation:

I have an Irish provisional licence, and very little driving experience.

I now live in the UK, and my job involves using my passport all the time. Because I'm an Irish citizen I need to send my passport away for about 2 weeks to get a UK provisional licence as there's no facility to transfer my current one (and the DVLA don't care). Also, if I did get one, I'd have to redo theory etc.

My question is, is it practical to learn to drive in Ireland, say a few long sessions each month when I come home? Also, can I drive indefinitely on an Irish full licence in another EU county or would I have to transfer it at some point?

Or would I be better biting the bullet, booking two weeks leave and not being able to go anywhere except Ireland while the DVLA people manhandle my passport?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

How long are you staying in the UK for?

An Irish Licence has benefits in the UK & vice versa.

If you plan on returning to Ireland for good a UK Licence would give you certain benefits as regard to penalty points. Of course that'll be soon closed up soon, so i believe ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

Here indefinitely, and see what you mean about points :)

Advertisement